WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I was looking at goals for past year. a few accomplished. yay. and many not.

I decided to give myself a 1 year extension.

I was beyond shocked to hear of the death of one of my friends from my teaching days. She went to the doctor with a sore leg the week before last. They discovered cancer in her bladder, and a couple of days later she was dead. You just don’t know what is round the corner.

☘️ Terri

(((Terri)))
    Agreed about not knowing what's round the corner. My best friend from middle school and early high school passed suddenly unexpectedly a couple of years ago in early/mid- 50s. Something in the brain suddenly. Not an aneurism but something similar. A colleague a few years ago lost a very close colleague who had brain cancer discovered 17 days previously.

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🖤💙💜💚🤍🤎
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) We have rain again so my nightly walk wasn't as much fun as usual. Each night I notice a few more people have taken down their holiday lights. I like the privacy of walking in the dark while I listen to something interesting.

:)Allie, Glad you are taking it easy with your recovery.

:) Our philosophy here is that if you can't get it from QFC, Walgreens, or online, then we don't need it.

:) My only holiday decorations were dish and hand towels. The last towel is in the washer now, so later today, I can finish packing up the box and put it back into the garage.

:)SuziQ. congrats on persisting and cleaning up debt. It takes a lot of sacrifice to accomplish what you did.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Those frumpy dresses must be the latest style. One of the soaps I watch has had some of the young characters dressing kind of like that and because they are so thin, the dresses look great. Gone are the days when I could ever have worn something like that.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Nice look Terri!

Yes, I think the dresses are aimed at the very young and are intended to be ironic. On us it just looks as if we are just frumpy old women. :D:p
    I had a similar 'prairie' dress when I was at uni. Laura Ashley. I loved it. Purple print with a white broderie anglais ruff around the neck, pintucks and a big bow at the back. I weighed 124 lbs. It was just before I got married.

Having roasted Mediterranean vegetables tonight with feta, brown rice, and my gorgeous tahini and yoghurt sauce.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Heather, my dear, not trying to make you feel old... you're just leading me in the timeline race!

Thank you to everyone who welcomed me back, I missed y'all too!

On the subject of age, Kim and I have talked quite a bit offline about life expectancy and reasons why we make certain decisions. For instance, I will take my Social Security pension the moment I possibly can, at 62 years old, just a year and a half away. I ran the numbers in Excel, and if retire at 67, (when I get "full" benefit), the cumulative amount I will receive will be exactly the same at age 77 as the amount I will have received retiring at 62. My life expectancy lands in the 75 to 76-year range, so it makes much more sense for me to take my benefit starting at 62. Not sure why that's on my brain this morning...

Anyway, dreary, dark and dank weather today and half of tomorrow... but I've already accomplished pretty much everything I wanted to this morning already, so I think I'll go read for a bit.

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa

Based on my family's history I could be at about the half way point now.

That's part of the reason I went for my Masters.

My retirement year is when I reach 67 but I could see myself working till 70 just to save enough to see me through the next 30 years.

It's actually a bit scary. If I live as long as my grandmother did (97) ... where will I end up? Who will take care of me?

I try not to think about it too much.

M in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Terri. I love the picture and you look terrific. I must admit with the pandemic and staying home, I've been dressing very casually, no one sees me except Jack.

I'm expecting a grocery delivery within the hour, we've been doing this now for a few months and it's worked well. After they are delivered and put up, I'll get my workout done.

See y'all later
    Janetr OKC
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    :lol::lol:

This is what I was faced with in most of the stores when I went hunting for my grad dress!!

3zwstvjiy5lv.png

Not kidding!

I could have had this for $59.

https://www.target.com.au/p/belle-curve-shirred-waist-dress/63976267
    knr0pb7bf92l.png

And this "burlap sack" went on clearance for $25 but even that didn't entice me.
    https://www.target.com.au/p/shirred-bodice-dress-red-paisley-print/63453102
    zgdpzkafpngf.png

M in Oz

I agree. Whenever I've tried to actually go to a store to buy clothes within the past couple of years, all I see is unflattering, cheaply made items. That's why people don't go to shopping malls anymore.

Tina in CA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    PIP

Love Yogi! <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    SuziQ: I am so impressed by your personal effort to help fill the need for fresh foods at the Food Banks. We have donated beverage cans in the past few years. In Oregon and some other states, each can is worth ten scents. Someone at the foodbank cashes them in, and the money can is used to buy food extras for their clients. I don’t know the sources of their food donations. I have seen veggies and also eggs :star:

Machka: I envy your lovely bike ride location. At this time we are in lockdown mode. We can go out for walks, and we can buy groceries at local stores. Restaurants and bars are closed again, and the theater can’t operate. My fitness club has been closed for months. Our neighbors own the local theater and it is a hardship to keep their business closed. We are looking forward to vaccinations in the coming year that will enable us to move freely and visit our adult children in other parts of the US. :ohwell:

Rebecca: Congrats on your new Fire10 tablet. :smiley:

Lisa: We took our Social Security benefits as soon as we were eligible. It makes good financial sense. We plan to live for a long time, and health issues can be very costly. :star:

Terri: I am sorry to hear about the death of a friend from your teaching days. :cry: One of my long-ago teaching friends is currently in the hospital. I won’t be able to visit her in person but may be able to stay in touch via facebook or telephone. :flowerforyou:

(((Allie))): I love your long-term goals—especially #1. Living is the best goal I can think of. :heart:

Today our dog goes to the groomer. I’ll be his chauffeur. DH will cook breakfast while I’m dropping the dog off.

Katla in rainy NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Janet - I think I've lost that amount too over the years. It's insane how fast it comes and how long it takes to leave.

Rebecca - What a great Christmas present.

Evelyn - One of my coworkers bought that ornament for all of us this year as well. I love it and hung it prominently on the front of the tree.

Julie - gyms are closed here again now too. They opened up for a while but were closed again in November. I think daily weigh ins help me at least be aware. I have not gotten to 200 again, I have seen 199 and thought Oh no! I'm not going there again and have stopped myself. It's a struggle though and I need to lose 9 pounds and then let myself fear the 190's. LOL

Flea - Glad that your Mom is discharged, hopefully she doesn't need full time care.

Allie - I read your post and my first thought was "she can't have all of these visitors", then I remembered you don't have the restrictions that we do. We aren't allowed to see anyone for inside or outside gatherings that are not a member of our household. Stay safe.

Machka - I think those dresses are styles that we don't need to come back into style.

Suzi - Food banks are struggling here to meet demand as well.

Lisa - I would take it early too if it meant I wasn't losing out. I don't know what the rules are here in Canada, but I'm still a few years from thinking about it.

Heather - your purple jumper and pink camisole reminded me of my Grandmother. She made beautiful sweaters and I wanted one in purple, with pink and white details. She argued with me and told me those colours did not go together and would look terrible. My Dad stuck up for me and said, if that's what she wants and she has to wear it I don't see why you won't do it for her. She did it, and ended up liking it herself. She ended up making me a toque to match and my other grandmother made me an afghan, leg warmers, a scarf and mittens all with the same yarns. I had that sweater until 2005 when we lost it in a house fire. My eldest daughter wore it regularly. I still have the afghan though.

Terri - What a shock about your former coworker and friend.

I am at work, so should get at it. I really wish I had taken time off this week but it wasn't permitted. Next year I will plan for it ahead of time.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    I try to put on my jeans most days but sometimes it seems like exercise or napping is imminent all day long. Then it's soft pants. I don't work and I don't leave the house much. A dress seems like overkill.

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Tracey -
    60zxg6vloxhz.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
    PS - I was told at junior school that I couldn’t have pink and yellow together in my embroidery. I was SO annoyed !!!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    I agree about the dresses!