1400-1500 and still starving?

Options
Hi everyone,
I’ve been using MFP for some time but I’m not seeing much progress. I recently began seeing a personal trainer but had to stop due to COVID. Anyway, I’m 5’8, currently 172 lbs but would like to be 140-145. My personal trainer put me on a 1400-1500 cal diet with 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. I’m trying to stick to this but I’m hungry all the time! Even drinking water makes me nauseous when I try to see if I’m thirsty rather than hungry. I have a moderately active job where I stand/walk for 95% of my shift.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to lose weight and tone up but I’m hungry, nauseous, cold and tired all the time! Please help!

Replies

• WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I think you should consider eating more calories. What does MFP set your calories at when you set your weight loss at 1 lb a week?
  • alykiss
    alykiss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It wants me to consume 1680 but when I tried 1650 previously, I just maintained my weight.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    And added to all what AnnP wrote: Are you happy with the food you currently eat, or do you feel it's not what you'd normally eat? Does the higher amount of protein leave you hungry, or the lower amount of fats?
  • alykiss
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Sorry for the lack of information! By not much progress I mean my weight is just being maintained and fluctuating a couple pounds from day to day.
    I tried 1650 a day for probably about 1-1.5 months. The only thing it seems I’ve been able to do to lose weight (even though I didn’t feel good) was only eating roughly 1,000-1,100 calls a day, sometimes less and doing cardio for a couple hours per day. I know that’s not good but it appears to be the only thing that’s ever worked.
    I always use a food scale and cup/spoon measures as well. I barely use any condiments normally so I don’t usually count them. I’ve noticed the more I try to restrict my caloric intake, the more obsessive I get about what I’m eating and I want to try and stop that.
    I drink protein shakes but none that he started me on and I’ve been trying to eat low/non fat items (cottage cheese, egg whites, fat free yogurt with more protein, fruits, turkey, reduced fat string cheese, etc).
    It almost feels as though too much protein and lack of fat is partially the cause of me feeling nauseous but I’m not sure. I thought protein was supposed to be satiating but it doesn’t keep me full for long. Some days I do so well all day (aside from the cold, tired, nauseous and dizzy feelings) and then I get home and I eat everything in site and then go back to restricting the next day.
    I’m thinking of lowering my carb intake and raising my fat intake from 40% carbs down to 30% and taking my fats to 30%. I’m so tired of feeling like crap and not getting any closer to my goals. I want to stop obsessing about food and fearing any sort of weight gain.

• alykiss
    Options
    [/quote]Apologies for all the questions to come, but I'd really like to try to help, and there's just not enough information yet.

At your size, with an active all day job, I'd expect your maintenance calories to be somewhere North of 2000 - maybe several hundred calories so, depending on other aspects of your life.

What does "not seeing much progress" mean? No loss at all? Slow loss (how slow, specifically)? Over what time period?

Hungry, cold, and tired are all signs of undereating, and cold/tired are signs of your energy level tanking so that you spend fewer calories living everyday life than you would if you were adequately fueled. That would be counterproductive. Also, underfueling can cause water retention (from stress/cortisol, basically) and confuse things on the bodyweight scale.

When you tried 1650 previously, how long did you stick with it, to decide that you were not losing?

Are you sure your food logging practices are as accurate as you can make them? (Confirm the database entries you use, don't use other people's multi-ingredient entries (tuna sandwich, lasagna, etc.), use food scale ideally or at least cup/spoon measures (not "one piece" "one serving"), count cooking oils/condiments/beverages/dressings, count bites/licks/tastes, and that sort of thing.) If you make your diary open temporarily, some of the old hands can take a look at it, and maybe help you fine tune accuracy.

You mention targeting macros, so I'll assume you're coming close. What kind of foods are you eating? Did the trainer get you started on protein drinks or meal replacements for some of your meals and a fair percent of your calories, or anything like that? [/quote]

Sorry for the lack of information! By not much progress I mean my weight is just being maintained and fluctuating a couple pounds from day to day.
    I tried 1650 a day for probably about 1-1.5 months. The only thing it seems I’ve been able to do to lose weight (even though I didn’t feel good) was only eating roughly 1,000-1,100 calls a day, sometimes less and doing cardio for a couple hours per day. I know that’s not good but it appears to be the only thing that’s ever worked.
    I always use a food scale and cup/spoon measures as well. I barely use any condiments normally so I don’t usually count them. I’ve noticed the more I try to restrict my caloric intake, the more obsessive I get about what I’m eating and I want to try and stop that.
    I drink protein shakes but none that he started me on and I’ve been trying to eat low/non fat items (cottage cheese, egg whites, fat free yogurt with more protein, fruits, turkey, reduced fat string cheese, etc).
    It almost feels as though too much protein and lack of fat is partially the cause of me feeling nauseous but I’m not sure. I thought protein was supposed to be satiating but it doesn’t keep me full for long. Some days I do so well all day (aside from the cold, tired, nauseous and dizzy feelings) and then I get home and I eat everything in site and then go back to restricting the next day.
    I’m thinking of lowering my carb intake and raising my fat intake from 40% carbs down to 30% and taking my fats to 30%. I’m so tired of feeling like crap and not getting any closer to my goals. I want to stop obsessing about food and fearing any sort of weight gain.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the minimum you should eat. That's if you do nothing lying around in bed.

I would suggest I crashing calories to 1700 or 1800 as. a start. Perhaps... If you are not losing after increasing cals add some strength training to build a bit of muscle.

Calculator results. https://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=25&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=8&cpound=172&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&cmop=0&coutunit=c&cformula=m&cfatpct=20&x=56&y=22

BMR = 1,574 Calories/day

Daily calorie needs based on activity level
    Activity Level Calorie
    Sedentary: little or no exercise 1,888
    Exercise 1-3 times/week 2,164
    Exercise 4-5 times/week 2,305
    Daily exercise or intense exercise 3-4 times/week 2,439
    Intense exercise 6-7 times/week 2,715
    Very intense exercise daily, or physical job 2,990
    Exercise: 15-30 minutes of elevated heart rate activity.
    Intense exercise: 45-120 minutes of elevated heart rate activity.
    Very intense exercise: 2+ hours of elevated heart rate activity
  • Leonie_M234
    Leonie_M234 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a bit taller than you at 5,9 but currently 166lbs, my TDEE is 2300 cals so I lose on about 1800 cals a day and tend to net this each week. However If I do extra exersise that i know has burnt more calories like a long hike or bike ride I will eat back all those calories. This means on average with exersise I'm eating more than 1800 cals a day.
    I have lost 3 stone this way very gradually as some months I ate at maintenance etc. I am also pretty active and work out 5 days a week. I tend to calorie cycle so there are 2 days a week I eat at 1500 cals so I can eat more at weekends or when im very active. I find this really helps and I'm never hungry. I have also found the MFP exersise data base to be pretty accurate too, I had an issue with walking recently which I over estimated and it stalled my weight loss. I realised I was logging a speed that was too fast, the minuite I amended it ive lost again.
    I would try increasing calories for sure, I think its super important to try and lose on the highest amount of cals possible for metabolism reasons and this is why I really believe in regular breaks eating at maintenance too : ) However like others have said everybody is different and it's important to find out what your true maintenance is too.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    edited December 2020
    Options
    bbzditgubjfb.png

Components of total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). BMR = basal metabolic rate; NEAT = non-exercise activity thermogenesis; TEF = thermic effect of food; EAT = exercise activity thermogenesis; REE = resting energy expenditure; NREE = non-resting energy expenditure. Adapted from Maclean et al., 2011.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Options
    thx and yes agreed.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    alykiss wrote: »
    It almost feels as though too much protein and lack of fat is partially the cause of me feeling nauseous but I’m not sure.

It could be. I'd shift your macros and see how that works.
    I thought protein was supposed to be satiating but it doesn’t keep me full for long.

Protein is for most, but there is some research that's more from going from a lower level to a moderate level (40% seems quite high to me, I usually aim for 0.6-0.8 g/lb of goal weight, and did about 30% when dieting). Also, while people vary, fat is satiating for some and low fat is hard for still others. Also, even those who find protein sating will not necessarily find it sating in shake/powder/liquid form. And satiety is just personal -- for many, fiber will matter a lot, for some it's volume or meal patterns, etc.
    Some days I do so well all day (aside from the cold, tired, nauseous and dizzy feelings) and then I get home and I eat everything in site and then go back to restricting the next day.

This really sounds like you are undereating leading to some incidents of overeating sabotaging results. And the cold, tired, etc., as well as the cals, seems like a sign that cals are too low.

I don't think this is a bad idea, but I also think the protein is higher than you need, probably. Rather than focusing immediately on macros, I'd think about what foods make you feel sated and satisfied (since a lot of this is mental too) and start working them in and then (through logging) get a better understanding of what those macros are.

The CDC recommends 10-35% of daily calories from protein.

I'm guessing the trainer is beyond the scope of their practice.giving macro guidance that isn't simply a statement of CDC or USDA guidelines.
  • Leonie_M234
    Leonie_M234 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @alykiss Good luck!! it's such an emotional journey but this place is a great source of support! come back and let us know how you get on : )
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    @alykiss Good luck!! it's such an emotional journey but this place is a great source of support! come back and let us know how you get on : )

Seconding that! It would be great if you could come back to the thread in a month or so, and let us know how you're doing. Hoping it will be very positive. 🙂