Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How do you assess your body health?

INTRODUCTION:
Hello. I'm starting this thread to share with others the methods I use to determine my body health, and I invite others to share their methods as well.

I'm not interested in starting an argument over the pros and cons of the various methods. I am simply going to say what appears to be working for me, and I hope others will say what appears to be working for them. So please, let's not discuss how applicable a particular method is to the general population. There are other threads that already do that. The idea of this thread is, again:
"Here's what I'm doing personally, and here are the results that I'm seeing."

Replies

• frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,808 Member
    SOME METHODS OF ASSESSING BODY HEALTH (that I'm aware of)

These are methods I've read about, although I have not used all of them. There may be other methods I've overlooked or am not aware of. My pro/con comments are based on what I've read and should be taken with a grain of salt (do your own research). I won't have a personal opinion until I've compared my results.

1. DEXA scan (Dual-energy X-ray Absorptiometry)
    Pro: accuracy, thoroughness.
    Con: can be costly compared to other methods; accessibility/availability may be an issue.
    2. water displacement method (BodPod)
    Pro: accuracy, thoroughness.
    Con: can be costly compared to other methods; accessibility/availability may be an issue.
    I believe it's the case that none of the following methods are as accurate as the above two methods.
    3. skin-fold caliper methods (there are many variations)
    Pro: cost effective, reasonable accuracy (varies with method).
    Con: person must know how to properly use calipers; greater margin of error.
    4. bioelectrical impedance method (many scales available ranging from < $30 to > $200)
    Pro: can be relatively cost effective; useful mostly for relative progress over time.
    Con: readings can fluctuate widely; must look at trends and ignore "noise".
    The following methods rely only on some combination of height, weight and circumference(s), and thus represent a statistical measure based on large populations.
    5. Navy body fat % method (these formula versions are for measurements in inches)
    [https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Body-Fat-Using-the-US-Navy-Method]How to Measure Body Fat Using the US Navy Method[/url]
    For men: % body fat = 86.010 x log10(abdomen - neck) - 70.041 x log10(height) + 36.76
    For women: % body fat = 163.205 x log10(waist + hip - neck) - 97.684 x log10(height) - 78.387
    Pro: essentially no cost; might be as good or better than BMI.
    Con: it is only a generalized measure, similar to BMI.
    6. Relative Fat Mass Index (RFMI) (uses ratio so independent of metric/imperial units used)
    How to calculate your relative fat mass (RFM)
    Men: RFM = 64 – (20 x height/waist circumference)
    Women: RFM = 76 – (20 x height/waist circumference)
    Pro: essentially no cost; might be as good or better than BMI.
    Con: it is only a generalized measure, similar to BMI.
    7. Body Mass Index (BMI) (used metric measurements)
    BMI = weight in kilograms / (square of height in meters)
    Pro: essentially no cost; simple as it gets.
    Con: applicable to general population, but can give results that are "false negative" or "false positive" for some portion of that population.

(If you disagree, please do so respectfully, ideally by pointing to a separate thread that delves into the topic. The category "Debate: fitness and health" would be an excellent place for that. As I said before, this thread is for the purpose of sharing your own experiences.)
  • frankwbrown
    WHERE I'M AT:
    disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor a nutritionist, nor a fitness expert.
    (not that it's relevant, but I'm a retired programmer)

I started a weight loss journey last July 10th. I purchased a scale that uses bioelectrical impedance. This scale measures weight, fat mass, lean mass, bone mass, water mass, body fat % and BMI, all with a varying degree of accuracy (discussed below). I have had one DEXA body scan and intend to have several more. I have just purchased calipers as well, but have not yet used them.

I will have another DEXA scan on December 20th. At that time, I intend to use and compare all of the following methods. When I do, I will post the results with my personal observations.

1. DEXA scan
    2. Jackson/Pollock 3 caliper method
    3. bioelectrical impedance method (using a Withings Body+ scale)
    4. Navy body fat % formula
    5. Relative Fat Mass Index (RFMI)
    6. Body Mass Index (BMI)

In the mean time, please share your own methodology for accessing your body health.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For me it's the mirror, photos, workout performance
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Weight, how I feel, how well I am eating, how I'm sleeping/dealing with stress, physical capacity (i.e., progress made or maintenance, depending on effort, on my exercise of choice, such as weights, running, biking, in theory stuff like yoga or pilates (although I admit I'm not really working on either of those)), how long in a day I'm just sitting vs walking around or otherwise moving.

In that health includes brain health, memory and cognition stuff (although since I work in a job that requires me to be okay at these things I don't always bother doing anything specific). Also having decent and fulfilling relationships with others, connections with my community, etc.

One key thing as I age is to make sure I'm fit at basic functional things (that it's not too difficult to get on and off the floor without leaning on anything, stuff like that). I don't do that specifically but take it into account wrt my strength training stuff.

And of course how medical tests done by my doctor turn out.

I don't think focusing really closely on BF%, especially as I can see my progress and know when I'm a healthy weight or not already, is especially useful for me, although I do take measurements at times (this is more about making progress on some specific goals that aren't directly health-related).
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Pictures, the mirror, how my clothes fit, the scale, and measurements. I don’t need to know my body fat. It isn’t relevant and I’m just going to waste time and money trying to determine it.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited December 2020
    Respectfullly.... :smile:

Think you have confused BodPod and hydrostatic body composition testing - BodPod uses no water, it bounces air pressure waves off you in a sealed "egg". Hydrostatic is a dunk tank, immersion in water.
    I had a series of BodPod tests and the first three were perfectly believable but the fourth was very obviously wrong in numbers and trend. More like a silver standard than a gold standard and perhaps of more use to a sports club rather than to an individual paying for testing? Overall not as useful for my trending as a 4 point BIA device where at least I could test frequently and discard obviously suspect data.
    Personal experience is that self-administered few site calliper testing and tape measurement methods (such as Navy Method) have given me very dodgy and sometimes silly results. Multi-site calliper testing by a trained operative is pretty good though, not sure if aging skin / loss of elasticity is taken into account though?

My health and fitness monitoring:
    Very rare for me to be ill which is a decent indicator of my immune system.
    I weigh daily and stay in a good weight range.
    Mirror tells me all I need to know about body fat percentage at maintenance. I maintain at a range where small changes in composition are very visible. This year of lockdowns and gym closures have been reflected in losing and regaining muscle definition and separation.
    Occasionally test my blood pressure as not problematic for me.
    Had a batch of blood tests in this my 60th year to establish a baseline for periodic testing - results were nearly all good to optimal.

For cycling I regularly test my FTP and casually watch a VO2 max indicator. Strava segment PRs show performance improvements for my cycling. During a hard training block I monitor my resting HR as a fitness and recovery indicator. Times for 100km and 100mile rides are a good test of speed endurance.
    For strength I go by my numbers in a few key compound lifts. I first bench pressed 100kg 42 years ago and that's a reliable sign my overall strength is in a good place.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member
    "Health" in general I rely on what my doctor tells me. She, in turn, relies on bloodwork and bp readings.

Day to day I gauge it loosely on things like susceptibility to and frequency of illness (do I catch the cold that's going around the office or does it pass me by?), speed of healing, energy level, mental focus. Sleep quality isn't a good barometer since menopause.

DEXA scan annually (although I didn't have one this year because of travel restrictions, I can't get one done locally) to monitor bone density. Body composition is interesting bonus information.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,485 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    For me it's the mirror, photos, workout performance

And an HONEST assessment of what you see.
  • frankwbrown
    None of those listed are all that accurate. How about what you see in the mirror?

What one sees in the mirror is certainly a valid approach, assuming one is honest with oneself. And you (and others) have drawn my attention to "methods" that I completely overlooked in my post (although I do use many of these methods in my pursuit of health if not also in gauging my progress/status).

For me, what I see in the mirror is less informative than how I feel (e.g. stamina, presence or lack of aches and pains, energy level, mental acuity, etc.).
    But just as importantly, I judge my health by the following (in no particular order):
    1. result of annual physical and blood tests.
    2. advice my doctor gives me.
    3. my resting heart rate and my blood pressure (and how it has changed over time).
    4. my level of activity, both aerobic and anaerobic.
    5. my strength, flexibility and, at my age, my balance (stabilizer muscles deserve your attention as you age).
    6. my adherence to a healthy diet.
    7. I personally, again given my age, want some reassurance that my bones are healthy (DEXA helps with that).

• frankwbrown
    ThePigMama wrote: »
    I'm just getting started, but I guess I'm planning on going with (1) BMI (2) how I feel and (3) how my clothes fit. And trying not to obsess about it all. But if you've got the kind of brain that likes to get into the details and test different theories/methods, and that's something you enjoy, then good luck to you, sir. :)
    I do, but I totally appreciate that others don't share that... what shall I call it? Perspective, outlook, approach?
    And the comments people have made thus far reveal the many facets of assessing one's health, although my post focused more on methods of assessing body composition more than health in general. I suppose I chose a poor title for this thread, but it's all good.

Good luck to you as well. :smile:
  • frankwbrown
    edited December 2020
    sijomial wrote: »
    Respectfullly.... :smile:

Think you have confused BodPod and hydrostatic body composition testing - BodPod uses no water, it bounces air pressure waves off you in a sealed "egg". Hydrostatic is a dunk tank, immersion in water.
    I had a series of BodPod tests and the first three were perfectly believable but the fourth was very obviously wrong in numbers and trend. More like a silver standard than a gold standard and perhaps of more use to a sports club rather than to an individual paying for testing? Overall not as useful for my trending as a 4 point BIA device where at least I could test frequently and discard obviously suspect data.
    Personal experience is that self-administered few site calliper testing and tape measurement methods (such as Navy Method) have given me very dodgy and sometimes silly results. Multi-site calliper testing by a trained operative is pretty good though, not sure if aging skin / loss of elasticity is taken into account though?

My health and fitness monitoring:
    Very rare for me to be ill which is a decent indicator of my immune system.
    I weigh daily and stay in a good weight range.
    Mirror tells me all I need to know about body fat percentage at maintenance. I maintain at a range where small changes in composition are very visible. This year of lockdowns and gym closures have been reflected in losing and regaining muscle definition and separation.
    Occasionally test my blood pressure as not problematic for me.
    Had a batch of blood tests in this my 60th year to establish a baseline for periodic testing - results were nearly all good to optimal.

For cycling I regularly test my FTP and casually watch a VO2 max indicator. Strava segment PRs show performance improvements for my cycling. During a hard training block I monitor my resting HR as a fitness and recovery indicator. Times for 100km and 100mile rides are a good test of speed endurance.
    For strength I go by my numbers in a few key compound lifts. I first bench pressed 100kg 42 years ago and that's a reliable sign my overall strength is in a good place.

Thank you for correcting me. I am aware of the two different methods, but only knew the name of BodPod. I should have looked up their proper names: hydrostatic weighing (HW), and air displacement plethysmography (ADP).

Does your BIA scale support wi-fi or bluetooth, enabling one to easily access the readings for importing data (even if only via cut&paste) into apps like MyFitnessPal, Garmin Connect, FitBit, Google Fit, etc? I wouldn't mind having a 4 point BIA scale.

Swimming is my preferred activity, but after that is cycling. But I am nowhere near your kind of riding. I would like to be able to track FTP and VO2max, and I'd love to be able to afford a power meter for that purpose. But I recently purchased a Garmin Fenix 6x, and that's as extravagant as I can be. :smile:
  • frankwbrown
    @RunsWithBees

Fantastic! Congratulations!

I enjoyed jogging when in college, but unfortunately my failure to maintain a healthy weight resulted in a loss of most of the cartilage in both knees (I actually have one artificial knee now). So, I swim and ride a mountain bike.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    @RunsWithBees

Fantastic! Congratulations!

I enjoyed jogging when in college, but unfortunately my failure to maintain a healthy weight resulted in a loss of most of the cartilage in both knees (I actually have one artificial knee now). So, I swim and ride a mountain bike.

Thanks! Sorry about the knees, I know a lot of people that have had them replaced. I used to have a bum knee that ached for 19 years, but guess I managed to lose my weight in time to improve it and it doesn’t give me grief anymore. I never in my wildest dreams thought I’d ever identify myself as a runner but “never say never” I guess :) 7 years and 10 months ago I was so unhealthy I couldn’t walk around the block or go up a single flight of stairs without being completely out of breath, I mean actually gasping for air. I will never go back to that lifestyle because I’m just having too much fun now! :)