Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Diet vs Exercise - Which is more important and why?

124»

Replies

• cab010506cab010506 Member Posts: 45 Member Member Posts: 45 Member
    The truth is this, you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet. And people need to learn to separate the two instead of thinking they must go hand in hand. Even if I have a few off days with eating I work out as exercise to me is not about losing weight, its about health and fitness. It is about mental wellbeing too. Also as a women in her late 40's strength training is important as we lose muscle mass as we age and along with that often overlooked is flexibility training and stretching. It is no good being slim and unhealthy or unfit. You need to think of both with a holistic overview that both eating healthy for most of the time the 80/20 rule and working out is good for you as a human being!
  • sportygal1971sportygal1971 Member, Premium Posts: 53 Member Member, Premium Posts: 53 Member
    Nutrition!!!! You definitely need both, but you are what you eat. You eat 💩, well then...😁
    However if you are younger and mildly out of shape or overweight, you can most like kick butt w exercise.
    At the same time, nutrition sets the stage for life. I've always exercised, but the lapses in nutrition did the most damage
    N&E go hand in hand, but N are the thumbs!
  • sportygal1971sportygal1971 Member, Premium Posts: 53 Member Member, Premium Posts: 53 Member
    This question reminds me of a comparison that I gave my brother once. What is more important the size of your engine (exercise) or the grade of fuel (food). If you want your engine to last as long as possible, you need high quality fuel. Does not matter the size. If you want race car performance you can get a big V8. fuel does not matter. However, if you want to get the most powerful
    This question reminds me of a comparison that I gave my brother once. What is more important the size of your engine (exercise) or the grade of fuel (food). If you want your engine to last as long as possible, you need high quality fuel. Does not matter the size. If you want race car performance you can get a big V8. fuel does not matter. However, if you want to get the most powerful and reliable car, you need both.

If you are only going to invest in one, go for the long run and tweak your diet. You only get 100 years on this planet, you might as well invest the time into yourself. Don't eliminate one over the other and think that is going to make you happy.

Remember, you can buy another engine if you treat it poorly. Once your body is done, that's it.

But you can ruin the axel, frame, tires etc. by over exercising. (Been there, done that) so if you dont do the car maintenance (nutrition) you can blow out your engine. But I still like your analogy, because when you're young, the engine runs great and w regular maintenance you can still have a great engine 20-30 years. Lol my 20 year old Tacoma is in better shape than me!😁
  • tsazanitsazani Member Posts: 659 Member Member Posts: 659 Member
    Diet is far more powerful for weight loss vs exercise. So is a good night's sleep.

Why? Insulin and stress hormones are the keys.
  • tuckerrjtuckerrj Member Posts: 1,384 Member Member Posts: 1,384 Member
    Take it from an old geezer, the best diet is, , , wait for it, , , a balanced diet. Yep, with protein, carbs, & fats in reasonable proportions. Meat, fish & poultry (or vegan protein sources) along with sufficient whole grains, fruits and vegetables, now THAT is the best diet. If you need to lose weight, eat at a deficit. If not, eat at maintenance. If you want to put on muscle mass, a slight surplus (usually of protein) works best. Take it from the guy that has tried nearly EVERY fad diet known to man.
    It is extremely difficult to "out exercise" a diet with too many excess calories. I can run a half marathon and barely burn enough calories to make up for a burger, fries & shake.
    edited January 16
  • gigius72gigius72 Member Posts: 37 Member Member Posts: 37 Member
    J. Fixx used to think like you.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 23,146 Member Member Posts: 23,146 Member
    tsazani wrote: »
    Diet is far more powerful for weight loss vs exercise. So is a good night's sleep.

Why? Insulin and stress hormones are the keys.

Without exercise, I don't get a good night's sleep.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 23,146 Member Member Posts: 23,146 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Interesting focus on the topic - which was left open ended.

I scanned through and there were a few comments of another focus but not that many and brief.

Diet or exercise for mental & emotional well-being, which has bigger impact on you, and what nuances discovered?

Exercise for mental & emotional well-being, for sure.

And this drives better food choices.
  • jodibeth5744jodibeth5744 Member, Premium Posts: 65 Member Member, Premium Posts: 65 Member
    I think they’re both equally important.

It’s important to keep your body moving to keep your heart strong.

It’s also important to make your calorie choices nutritionally sound. Yes, calorie restriction will get you to your goal, and I’ve seen a lot of members who get to their goal while never eating a vegetable and keeping a lot of chemical laden junk in their diet. In the long run, it’s not great for the functionality of your body.

I remember when the leader of the biggest loser had a heart attack, and the world was shocked because he was so fit. Afterwards he talked about re-examining his food choices and removing red meat from his diet.