What do you guys like to eat on your birthday?

Options
So its almost my birthday and im planning on treating myself, just not sure where yet or if I'll even count calories that day. It got me thinking though, what do you guys like to eat on your birthday? Any specific restaurant/fast food restaurant? And do you count calories or just eat freely and enjoy yourself?
Not much is mentioned about what others do so im curious
Β«13

Replies

• 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Homemade lasagna for dinner, followed by homemade cake! usually, I count calories (habit) but don't care if I'm over. At some point during the day I also get a giant latte from my favourite local place
    Happy early birthday!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Well, to a lot of people birthdays are special.

I don't have any food in particular that I have on mine though.

Although birthday cake is always nice ;)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    My last birthday was on a weekday during lockdown, so nothing terribly festive. But I had takeaway sushi (one of my favorite foods) in the evening. No dessert, but I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

I counted the calories (well, estimated them anyway) and ended up 29 calories over maintenance that day, very reasonable πŸ™‚
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    My birthday is coming up soon, too. I share the day with my spouse's birthday and our anniversary! It's our Mega-Day!

We have a local fish restaurant that we always have lunch at on that day (20+ year tradition). They have curbside pickup so we will do that this year. We will probably "picnic" in our car since it's too far to bring the food home. Fortunately there is a nice park nearby and we have found in-car picnics with a nice view are actually kinda fun.

This year we are planning to get one of those small supermarket cakes to celebrate - one with lots of chocolate!!

We will also, fingers crossed for decent weather, visit with our adult child and their spouse in their backyard with social distancing. 🎁

Dinner will be something small.
  • taglazar1
    taglazar1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This past year, November I made one of my favs. Ribs. Made a whisky apple butter reduction to bake them in then grilled them with some home made bbq sauce. Fresh Brussels sprouts and corn bread.
  • taglazar1
    taglazar1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    k2f2qzdbyflv.jpeg
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My birthday is also coming up and this year I've decided to have a meal at Outback that I've been craving and isn't too bad on calories. I'll be counting as usual that day but won't be upset if I go a little above my goal. Probably won't be having cake or other sweets just because it doesn't sound that good to me at the moment and my parents, who will be celebrating with me, are both watching their weight as well so I don't anticipate any complaints from them.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    No particular food. Pre-covid, people would normally take me out to a nice and interesting restaurant for dinner, but not necessarily on my birthday, but the closest weekend. This year (since it was this week, so I can easily remember), I had homemade beef stew with lots of vegetables on my birthday itself (nothing different than what I normally have), but then the following day my sister and I got together to get a Christmas tree and in partial celebration of my b-day we ordered kebobs from a favorite restaurant. I was planning to log but decided not to, but I don't think I overate my planned calories (I had some leftovers the next day and did log).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    My birthday is the day after Halloween... I usually have steak and crab legs. My favorite.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As long as the wine is flowing, I'm happy :)
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Tiramisu is a must!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I don't really celebrate my birthday so I eat my normal food. I just have a piece of cake to go with it. Then I fight with myself over how much of it I log. Half goes in saying none of it but the other half says don't be ridiculous. Divide it up over the week. We eventually compromise on about logging 40%. πŸ˜€
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged anything in years...but even when I did, occasions are occasions...nobody became overweight by celebrating and overindulging on a birthday or holiday or whatever.

My birthday is in October and I'm of German decent, so it's usually an Octoberfest kind of thing.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    There are so many tasty treats to eat. I wait until the week of and decide what special dish I most like. Cake is not a must but is is usually boughten so I have a taste with ice cream.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I enjoy steamed mixed veggies from a good Chinese place, and may have a piece of vegan gluten free cheesecake 😊
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    7 PB&J cupcakes lined up in a row with a bottle of water and the carb police banging on my door.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I believe in indulgent food on/around my birthday**. Usually, it'd be a good restaurant with friend(s), but different choices each year.

This year, during the pandemic, I've been cooking for myself nearly all the time, rarely getting takeout. On my birthday, I got a nice big chunk of carrot cake with cream cheese frosting from a local deli area that makes really good carrot cake, and a takeout blue corn enchilada dinner with a side of refried beans (and a takeout margarita) from my favorite locally-owned Mexican restaurant. (That's a meal that I'd have more often when I was going to restaurants regularly, but hadn't had in many months.)

While I was losing weight, I did log my indulgent birthday eating (though I had to estimate, because it was a local restaurant). During weight loss, and for a while after, I was pretty meticulous about logging daily and reasonably accurately (without obsessing, just making my best shot). I wanted to have enough solid logging data, including peak days, to do my own TDEE/NEAT calorie estimates for use in maintenance. I'd already figured out that the so-called calculators tended to give me estimates that weren't very accurate at all for me, so it would be better to work it out from my own data. YMMV.

** It's a joke, but I've advanced the theory that our birthday celebrations should be the same percentage of life, throughout life. So, if it's one day at age 1, it's 2 days at age 2, and so on. I'm now up to a full 65 days annually πŸ˜†, more than two months, so technically my mid-November birthday extends well past Christmas. πŸ˜‰
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: Β»
    Nothing special. Why would I? What makes this day special in any way? At least it doesn't for me.

That sounds so sad. You need a hug

No, totally not! But thanks anyway :blush: I rather think the parents should be celebrated on ones birthday, as they did something special. I on the other hand did nothing special. Well, of course my dad disagrees with my opinion, and my mom doesn't live anymore. So um... each their own opinion :)