What do you guys like to eat on your birthday?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I celebrate the big 4-0 in a couple of months, and that will likely be still be during lockdown.Especially after this past year, I'm of the opinion that life is short, so every year I'm alive and well is something worth celebrating. I really haven't thought about what I want, but I know I'm always down for some curry. Cake for sure!!

I turned 46 in October during lockdown. We usually have a big Octoberfest type of BBQ out on the patio with bratts, German potato salad, beer, etc. Friends, family, and the like. Obviously no large gatherings this year and it just wouldn't have been the same just sitting there eating a bratt with my wife and my mom...so I told my mom that all I wanted for my birthday was her to watch the kids for the night so my wife and I could go out to dinner.

We hadn't been out to dinner since February, and it was just excellent. Patio only...I had the duck breast with mushroom risotto and asparagus...it was very good, but in my mind I think it was better than it truly was...because it was just so awesome being out of our own kitchen.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I celebrate the big 4-0 in a couple of months, and that will likely be still be during lockdown.Especially after this past year, I'm of the opinion that life is short, so every year I'm alive and well is something worth celebrating. I really haven't thought about what I want, but I know I'm always down for some curry. Cake for sure!!

I turned 46 in October during lockdown. We usually have a big Octoberfest type of BBQ out on the patio with bratts, German potato salad, beer, etc. Friends, family, and the like. Obviously no large gatherings this year and it just wouldn't have been the same just sitting there eating a bratt with my wife and my mom...so I told my mom that all I wanted for my birthday was her to watch the kids for the night so my wife and I could go out to dinner.

We hadn't been out to dinner since February, and it was just excellent. Patio only...I had the duck breast with mushroom risotto and asparagus...it was very good, but in my mind I think it was better than it truly was...because it was just so awesome being out of our own kitchen.

I know what you mean. I've mostly been cooking this year, too, but the few times I've gotten out feel like a treat. Of course, my birthday is still right in the heart of winter (early February), so unless its unseasonably warm that day, eating outside isn't sounding very appealing at the moment!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    My mom has been making baked ziti, garlic bread, and a Duncan Hines devil's food bundt cake with fresh whipped cream for my birthday since I was a kid. I'm no spring chicken, so that's a long lasting tradition :lol:

I always log, but on special occasions I tend to estimate and not worry about hitting my calorie goal.
  • annshandle
    annshandle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My birthday is also coming up soon. We're big bakers, so I mostly look forward to dessert. Maybe a carrot cake this year? I don't typically log on that day, but I also hope that I get to go for a big hike!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    No particular food. Pre-covid, people would normally take me out to a nice and interesting restaurant for dinner, but not necessarily on my birthday, but the closest weekend. This year (since it was this week, so I can easily remember), I had homemade beef stew with lots of vegetables on my birthday itself (nothing different than what I normally have), but then the following day my sister and I got together to get a Christmas tree and in partial celebration of my b-day we ordered kebobs from a favorite restaurant. I was planning to log but decided not to, but I don't think I overate my planned calories (I had some leftovers the next day and did log).

My birthday was last week too and I like to put up and decorate a tree at my mother and brother's house (they have the room for it and no cat) and hear the stories behind the ornaments.

giphy.gif
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This year I mashed up this and the original Joy of Cooking version:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/baked-shells-roasted-red-pepper-cream-sauce-italian-sausage-recipe.html

Last year I made that for Christmas.

I also made ATK's Almost No Knead bread, but with olives and Parmesan, and using the instructions from "Flour Water Salt Yeast."

https://breadtopia.com/cooks-illustrated-almost-no-knead/

Mom made a Blue Hubbard Squash pie. I used to like frozen chocolate pie, but I can no longer tolerate cold foods when it's cold.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Red Lobster for endless shrimp as a family - to celebrate my birthday & my daughter's birthday which is 4 days before mine. Or Huey Luey's which is a local/small chain of Tex-Mex style food. I do firmly believe that your normal habits are what matters, more than an occasional odd day.