Running, I have a bear problem!

Options
124»

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Oh I'd so be into running from a bear, just for the extra it would give me. I'm not scared of nothing ...unless it's a spider.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The bears have lots of trash to eat, they wont bother you.

This is probably the worst advice I have ever read on the interwebs.

If your trash is being stored in a manner that it is attracting bears, eventually either you or the bear will be killed.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I don't have bears, I have a pack of coyotes with a den near my house. I worry about them sensing when I'm worn out at the end of my run so I usually will drive to a park.
  • MerinneW
    MerinneW Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am just so boggled by the idea of people going for a run with a gun. I mean, OK, in this situation I can see why you might if you could. Just not having guns (or, indeed, bears) in the UK, I find it just... wow! Like finding out people are going running with a blender or something :P I mean, I have a hard enough time figuring out where to keep my water bottle, iPod and housekeys in my running gear.... where the heck do you keep a big honking GUN?
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    On one of my routes, I have to keep a look out for bears as well. On the other, it's a flock of turkeys...and these are some shifty eyed turkeys, so I don't know which to fear more. Fortunately I live in an open carry state. Good luck!
    Be thankful they aren't geese. Geese are mean.

Trumpeter swans are worse. If a large male decides to attack you, he will fly up and poke holes in your skull with his beak.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    HMMMM.....I have more issues with deer then bear. They come out and greet me by the roadside when I run in the morning just before sunrise. Sometimes their in herds of 15 or more. I have had them walk down the other side of the road while I ran by on the other side.. I have some of them snort at me and even charge at me. This morning I could have reached out and pet to does at different locations. I sometimes make noises at them and they don't move. They have lost fear of humans.

Yes--that's the biggest danger with all wild animals--that they would lose their fear of humans. People are so dumb in trying to "befriend" wild animals and then get upset when a wild animal attacks them. We have some rich people in our area who put out tons of birdseed for the black bears every winter. The bears have been photographed rolling in the stuff and treating it like a trip to a pig-out buffet. Then they poop all over the neighborhood and occasionally growl at people who walk in the area. The conservation people went to them and told them that what they were doing was dangerous. Didn't matter, they said they were going to do it anyway. The town officials actually had to make a town ordinance against feeding the bears so that they could stop them. So the rich people quit and now the situation is more dangerous than ever because there are a lot of hungry bears in the area this year. So far, no humans have been attacked but a number of dogs and some chickens and pigs have been. The police have had to shoot some bears already. All because some knuckleheaded "animal rights" people thought that they knew better than the conservation people who have always warned, "Do not feed the bears." It would be good if the conservation people would teach WHY that is a bad idea. Sad.