What should I ask Santa for?

Options
I'm looking for ideas on what I should ask my husband to get me for Christmas. I know I want to continue to build on the at home equipment that I have accumulated since COVID began because I won't have access to my gym until at least next June. I'm much more into weights than cardio so I have the following already - dumbbells up to 30lbs, chin up bar, TRX bands, exercise bands. What would you ask for to add on to that for a good at home set up? Also, I am in NYC so space is very limited. All my stuff is in my living room. I have a Beachbody on demand account as well. Any ideas on what I can ask for?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    hollyhom wrote: »
    I'm looking for ideas on what I should ask my husband to get me for Christmas. I know I want to continue to build on the at home equipment that I have accumulated since COVID began because I won't have access to my gym until at least next June. I'm much more into weights than cardio so I have the following already - dumbbells up to 30lbs, chin up bar, TRX bands, exercise bands. What would you ask for to add on to that for a good at home set up? Also, I am in NYC so space is very limited. All my stuff is in my living room. I have a Beachbody on demand account as well. Any ideas on what I can ask for?

https://www.amazon.com/xlpace-Machine-Push-Ups-Sit-Ups-Workout/dp/B089MZRCPC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=TBZNZ3VQ7NHJ&dchild=1&keywords=hack+squat+machine&qid=1607956004&sprefix=hack+squat,aps,283&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUE9TOTFGQkpTTE0xJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjc1OTUwMVpYRDhUVEs5MFVFMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQxMTU2MzJMRUhLV0RJOUdMUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Does wonders for legs and butt

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells (or maybe an adjustable one that goes up to at least a pood).

If you can make it fit, a free-motion cable system or adjustable bench with a barbell set 🥰. However, both of these may be a tall order in an urban dwelling.

May Santa continue being sweet to you!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Kettlebells (or maybe an adjustable one that goes up to at least a pood).

I just got an adjustable kettlebell (goes up to 18 kg), and was going to recommend the same. I also have a bench (nothing fancy, just an adjustable bench with no weights) which I really like. Maybe a jump rope, too?

It's been tough to find weighs around here, given no doubt the much greater demand than usual.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

https://www.amazon.com/xlpace-Machine-Push-Ups-Sit-Ups-Workout/dp/B089MZRCPC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=TBZNZ3VQ7NHJ&dchild=1&keywords=hack+squat+machine&qid=1607956004&sprefix=hack+squat,aps,283&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUE9TOTFGQkpTTE0xJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjc1OTUwMVpYRDhUVEs5MFVFMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDQxMTU2MzJMRUhLV0RJOUdMUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks. I've never done sissy squats. I'll research this a bit more. Would this piece of equipment be easy to learn how to use? I like that it seems pretty compact.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Definitely considering a bench. Any recommendations of brand/type would be appreciated!

Do you think there's enough of different uses for kettlebells since I have dumbbells already? I used to do KB swings and turkish get-ups with them at the gym but I've been able to pretty much replace those exercises with the dumbbells.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My husband works out in our living room too. He’s impossible to buy for. One of the two presents he really liked and uses several times per week is a bench. The other present he liked, was his iPhone.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I work out in the livingroom as well. I have an excellent, very big and thick floormat, which I can roll up and stash away if I want to. That one was super expensive. A pullup bar for a doorframe. I also have a pair of simple rings that I can hang from the pullup bar if I want to - or use anywhere else outside. Dips I can do on the corner of my balcony, or in the kitchen. I use to have an actual bench in the bathroom for clothes and towels (ikea), but not anymore. Was also useful for working out without having workout equipment stand around. A couple of blackrolls/balls, yogablocks, yogastrap and a few proper kettlebells of various weights. As far as further imrovising goes, I can put my feet underneath my couch for support, use a blackroll and a stick as ab roller, etc. Sure, a lot of improvising is involved, but at least my wee flat doesn't look like a gym.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thanks. I've never done sissy squats. I'll research this a bit more. Would this piece of equipment be easy to learn how to use? I like that it seems pretty compact.

If podcasts don't bore you, then "Super Human Radio" recently had an episode that discussed - in part - the benefits of sissy squats for men and women. "The Physics of Resistance Exercise"

ETA: here's the link...

https://superhumanradio.net/shr-2616-the-physics-of-resistance-exercise

Yes, even the title sounds boring lol but it was a good listen (and evidence-based). If I recall correctly, squat form was the first topic (so like, within the first 30 min of convo)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a bench. Mine does double duty as a cat lounger :)
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Pull up bar for a door
    kettlebells!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Santa has brought me an olympic bar which is sitting very happily in my living room. They fit quite nicely under most sofas as do weight plates (assuming you can get hold of any).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    SnifterPug wrote: »
    Santa has brought me an olympic bar which is sitting very happily in my living room. They fit quite nicely under most sofas as do weight plates (assuming you can get hold of any).

Plates are hard to find. Just found a pair of 45 lb bumper plates for my son. Have a 180 mile RT road trip to pick them up. Was looking at Dick's Sporting Goods. They have a search function that shows what stores have them within 100 miles. At one point last week when I was looking there were none available within 100 miles of 2 of the larger cities in the US.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm getting a nice, new, shiny direct drive smart trainer for my bike...
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Plates are hard to find. Just found a pair of 45 lb bumper plates for my son. Have a 180 mile RT road trip to pick them up. Was looking at Dick's Sporting Goods. They have a search function that shows what stores have them within 100 miles. At one point last week when I was looking there were none available within 100 miles of 2 of the larger cities in the US.

They have been low on lots of things during the covid era (and home gym equipment in general is hard to get right now IME). I got my adjustable kettlebell since I couldn't find heavier dumbbells easily.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Definitely considering a bench. Any recommendations of brand/type would be appreciated!

I just don't know enough -- mine was just one that fit what I wanted at the sporting goods store when I was looking several years ago. But I bet there are good reviews and comparisons online.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

They have been low on lots of things during the covid era (and home gym equipment in general is hard to get right now IME). I got my adjustable kettlebell since I couldn't find heavier dumbbells easily.

Son got a real nice 40 lb adjustable Bowflex kettlebell. Had good reviews. Store actually had maybe 20 of them on the floor when we went in.

He really likes it.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Son got a real nice 40 lb adjustable Bowflex kettlebell. Had good reviews. Store actually had maybe 20 of them on the floor when we went in.

He really likes it.

That's exactly what I got. I like it so far.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    Do you have an exercise ball (the big kind, a.k.a. Swiss ball, stability ball), or an ab wheel? If not, those could be things to consider.

Some strength exercises can be done on the ball, adding a useful instability to help develop the smaller stabilizer muscles and general core strength/stability. (Obviously, this is not for massively heavy lifts! It's an adjunct thing.) Also good for certain types of stretches, stability-challenging calisthenics/bodyweight moves, etc. Big inflated, tiny when not.

The ab wheel is an amazing core challenge, but depending on current level there, it might be something to work up to, since there could be back risk if not really ready. (Things like roll-outs on the stability ball are one way to work up to it.)

May not be your cup of tea, but just a couple of thoughts.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I'm thinking from Santa money, I may get a Les Mills Bodypump bundle with the on demand subscription. Since I canceled my gym membership, it would be nice to still be able to do the workouts and the equipment is pretty nice.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    f5xliuoyohdu.jpeg

Joking aside - it sounds like you have a pretty good set up already.
    Bench might be nice
    Inflatable exercise ball- collapses for storage
    Ankle weights - used on Beachbody Brazil butt lift
    A new exercise mat - I have the kind that is like a giant puzzle.
    A new workout outfit
    Fitness tracker
    Beachbody early bird access to a new program
    Consumables like protein shake powder
    High end blender - we have a Vitamix