What fitness tracker to use?

Options
What fitness tracker are you using? Is it compatible with MFP?
Looking for one that is pretty basic as I only track steps, calories. Do not need text message, music, etc.
Give me your thoughts!

Replies

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit inspire HR. Tracks steps, sleep, distance, active mins, steps/hour, all day calorie burn, water if you log it. It connects with MFP and this works well along as the fitbit calculated burn is accurate for you.

Battery life is fairly decent and I use it to receive msgs from my phone - you can choose which notifications you want, if any.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,883 Member
    Options
    Since you have fairly basic requirements, I think you can make a choice from the devices you find affordable, and that look like something you're willing to wear. (Some people like delicate jewelry-looking things; others want to look like they're on Seal Team 6 or something. 😉

I'd suggest picking a mainstream brand, with a good reputation, then looking at features and appearance. One starting point would be to see which devices interface with MFP. (Some people find the Apple interface problematic unless using an intermediary app, BTW.) You can look at consumer reviews on big sites (like Amazon, Best Buy, whatever) to get an idea how people like models you're considering - look at the weight of the evidence, not weird exceptions.

One thing to be aware of is that some devices will either overcount steps if you move your arm a lot (mine sometimes thinks I'm walking or climbing stairs if I'm stirring something very energetically!), or undercount steps if you're holding arms still (like if you work at a job where you're pushing carts around as you walk, or pushing a baby stroller a lot while you walk).

Personally, I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 (since supplanted in the market by Vivoactive 4), and like it. It would be overkill for your needs: I wanted something that would track specific things I enjoy knowing about my sport. I like a larger, clear watch face (aging eyesight), but don't especially want to look like a commando .

One comment: This model happens to have call/text notification. It wasn't a feature I sought, and I even thought I'd dislike it. I was so wrong: I love it. Even when I'm expecting an important call/text, I can put my phone away in a social situation, or not have to carry it with me around the house if I don't want to. The watch gives me enough info to decide if I need to get the phone, or not. YMMV.
  • dfmills1963
    dfmills1963 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the helpful insights!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    I recommend the DC Rainmaker blog once you've narrowed it down to a couple of different models.

It's very hard to recommend a specific make/model as everyone has their own preferences.

I really like my Garmin watches, like @AnnPT77 I also have the Vivoactive3 (although I have the music edition).

I chose it over the Fitbit and Apple similar costing models because Garmin tracks rowing better for me, it's Waterproof, has the GPS built in and has a rechargeable battery. The music hting is a bonus when the urge takes me to start running every now and again because I can leave my phone behind and listen to Spotify playlist on the watch.

Their Vivofit or Vivosport might suit you as they are more basic fitness trackers rather sports trackers.

If you like a bit of competitiveness check if any of your friends use a particular brand as you'll often be able to set challenges, etc up in the apps if you have the same brand.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,883 Member
    Options
    I recommend the DC Rainmaker blog once you've narrowed it down to a couple of different models.

It's very hard to recommend a specific make/model as everyone has their own preferences.

I really like my Garmin watches, like @AnnPT77 I also have the Vivoactive3 (although I have the music edition).

I chose it over the Fitbit and Apple similar costing models because Garmin tracks rowing better for me, it's Waterproof, has the GPS built in and has a rechargeable battery. The music hting is a bonus when the urge takes me to start running every now and again because I can leave my phone behind and listen to Spotify playlist on the watch.

Their Vivofit or Vivosport might suit you as they are more basic fitness trackers rather sports trackers.

If you like a bit of competitiveness check if any of your friends use a particular brand as you'll often be able to set challenges, etc up in the apps if you have the same brand.

I think DC Rainmaker doesn't cover the basic steps-oriented end of the market much anymore, but is focusing on sports tech (but including recreational athletes). The breadth of the market got a bit hard to handle, maybe. It's still a good recommendation for OP, but if she's more focused on the steps-oriented devices that tend to have a lower price-point, she may need to look elsewhere for a broad view. (I wish I had a suggestion that's equally good, but for those. Sadly, I don't.)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I think DC Rainmaker doesn't cover the basic steps-oriented end of the market much anymore, but is focusing on sports tech (but including recreational athletes). The breadth of the market got a bit hard to handle, maybe. It's still a good recommendation for OP, but if she's more focused on the steps-oriented devices that tend to have a lower price-point, she may need to look elsewhere for a broad view. (I wish I had a suggestion that's equally good, but for those. Sadly, I don't.)

He does still have reviews on the more basic models, so always worth a look.

I think I'd just be wary of Amazon reviews because so many sellers pay or offer discounts for better reviews now, so it's not as reliable as it once was. I'd always look at the 1 star reviews to see what the complaints were in the weird exceptions because more often than not they've picked up on something that is an issue when you delve a bit further into it. (Example: Vivoactive HR Waterproofing issues, only a couple of complaints on Amazon when I ordered mine, but I had to change mine twice because the waterproofing failed).
  • meisjuliet
    meisjuliet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think, given the stats your interested in, you would like a Fitbit.
    I was a Fitbit user for years until yesterday when i made the switch to Apple Watch.
    First impressions, the Fitbit is a better tracker for fitness and the specific things you want to track.