Introducing oatmeal

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    It also has xantham. I don’t Use xantham, so I don’t know, but isn’t that used to bulk up volume, per volume eaters thread?
    Or am I mistaken?

It's a thickener. It'll make the oatmeal a little less watery.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    OP, do you have insulin resistance or diabetes, or some similar health condition? Those can require a person to manage carbs carefully, I know. Beyond that, some people find carbs spike appetite, and that's reason enough for an individual to limit them.

Beyond that - and I mention this because it sounds like you've missed eating oatmeal - restricting carbs isn't universally essential for weight loss, nutrition, or health, as others have observed.

I love oatmeal, eat 30g of the whole rolled oats (cooked) pretty much every day, with fixins, and have eaten them all the way through losing 50 pounds, and 5 years of maintaining a healthy weight since.

The oats itself has (per MFP database) 20.3g carbs, and 0.3g sugar (inherent in the oats, not added). (But by the time I add my maintenance-calories fixins and sides, the whole meal has 79g carbs, and 41g sugars (12.5g added sugar, in the form of blackstrap molasses that brings a lot of potassium and iron plus other good things with it, the rest of the sugars inherent). I do put some extra seeds in it, and more molasses, than I did while losing weight, because those calories cuts for weight loss have to come from somewhere.) Oatmeal is delicious and filling, for me.

Either way, I'm glad you've found an oatmeal that satisfies you, and meets your nutritional goals. Finding the ways to stay full and happy, while managing calories and nutrition, is kind of where the magic is. Good show! 🙂
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    You're paying a huge premium for two common foods (oats and protein powder) mixed together and not even because you want more protein, but just to "dilute" the carbohydrates. 30 grams of carbohydrates is a perfectly reasonable amount. Carb phobia is one of the silliest diet fads of our times.

I wonder when protein will become the new villain. Before it was fat, now it's carbs, perhaps protein is next.

It already is for some in the WFPB community (many of those who cite the China Study are anti protein or at least pro limiting protein (not just from animal sources, but total amount)).

Yep, you will see stuff like "People eat too much protein" frequently in those circles.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I like raw rolled oats. Add about 1/3 to my otherwise too sweet breakfast cereal and milk. I think it aids digestion - at least for me.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Another twist is not sweetening it at all! I discovered savory oats thanks to MFP - cooked in chicken stock with sausage, mushrooms, garlic, onion, cheese, and an egg on top. The first bite played tricks on my brain, but oh so tasty!

I agree! I vaguely remember a recipe I tried that had peas, parmesan cheese, and a few other things mixed in it. It was delicious...now I'm going to have to go dig it up. Thanks for that reminder! :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I like savory oats too -- never made it all that complicated, but added eggs (a bit runny over easy) and spinach and maybe some other veg. I also tried adding eggs, spinach, cauliflower, and blueberries, which was a bit weird but tasty.

Oats seem to me to work when rice or grits or some other grain would.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Plain oatmeal has no sugar in it but whether, it's plain or sugared, its all composed of carbs in 1 form or another and any excess carbs not used by the body eventually will be converted to fat.

• AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I love oatmeal 💟
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,325 Member
    I love oats and eat tonnes. I’m not a diabetic but can suffer from blood sugar issues, but bizarrely oats never give me a noticeable spike. They’re delicious, whether in porridge with milk, flapjack laden with sugar and butter as a treat, ground up and used in pancakes instead of flour... as part of a varied diet there is nothing wrong with them.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Just had a look at what my typical breakfast looks like.
    It's basically non-liquid-y joghurt with raisins, oats for fill and even more to chew on, and the fruit of the day. Today it was green grapes. Lots of sugar, lots of carbs. Lots of chew on. Keeps me full for a while.

2zweibm3yyd2.png
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Another twist is not sweetening it at all! I discovered savory oats thanks to MFP - cooked in chicken stock with sausage, mushrooms, garlic, onion, cheese, and an egg on top. The first bite played tricks on my brain, but oh so tasty!

Oooh I haven’t tried this! I too am a savory oatmeal fan. I eat mine with 1/2 serving of cheddar cheese (weighed in grams of course) and a sunny side up egg on top. I add pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.

OP as I mentioned in your introductory thread, you don’t have to go low carb to lose weight, nor is it absolutely necessary for pre diabetes (which you said you had). I come from a family of diabetics and so does my husband and several family members inn both sides (including myself) were able to get back to normal blood sugars and out of the prediabetic category via weight loss and diet (in the sense of no longer eating every sweet in sight). None of those who were successful on either side of the family specifically limited carbs. This is of course, not scientific and you can do some research or speak to your doctor or dietician to decide if you can try that to get back to normal blood sugars, but trying to vastly restrict yourself if you don’t ABSOLUTELY need to will most likely backfire.
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Oats are a healthy, whole grain, whole food. I use a food processor and make oat flour out of oats. I also love over night oats, various mix ins. A very cheap and versatile food staple in my kitchen.
  • lisa1225anne
    lisa1225anne Posts: 36 Member
    There is not a way to "remove" carbs from a grain. A serving (40g) of whole rolled oats is 27g of carbs. Now, if they added sugar to your store brand that would account for some of the carbs, but if your new type of oats is just oats? Then maybe the portion is a lot smaller than 40g.

Some weight loss products just cut the portion in half and that would cause lowered numbers. By those stats it looks like they lowered the oats and added protein powder?

• lisa1225anne
    lisa1225anne Posts: 36 Member
    Thank you i thought of that too.... eating less oatmeal so the carbs dont add up.