Introducing oatmeal

I havent had oatmeal in 1 year because of the high carbohydrates and sugar. This past week i went to Pounds Transformation weightloss clinic and bought oatmeal with apples & cinnamon. Has 10 carbs, 2 g sugar, 15 g protein & 110 calories. The rest of the day i ate green salad with rolled turkey & cheese. Regular store oatmeal has over 30 g of carbohydrates!

Replies

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Do some research on oatmeal. I think you will be surprised.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I havent had oatmeal in 1 year because of the high carbohydrates and sugar. This past week i went to Pounds Transformation weightloss clinic and bought oatmeal with apples & cinnamon. Has 10 carbs, 2 g sugar, 15 g protein & 110. The rest of the day i ate green salad with rolled turkey & cheese. Regular store oatmeal has over 30 g of carbohydrates!

That must be a tiny portion of oatmeal...or it's not really oatmeal, because there's no way a serving of actual oatmeal is only 10 carbs and 15 grams of protein...especially with an apple.

Oatmeal is actually really good for you...there's nothing wrong with carbs and oats are a nice whole grain choice of quality carbohydrates.

It's oats with soy protein mixed in, along with being a smaller portion size (most oats serving sizes I see are 40g, this is just under 29). https://poundstransformation.store/collections/default-category-food-products-breakfast/products/pounds-apple-cinnamon-oatmeal
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    You're paying a huge premium for two common foods (oats and protein powder) mixed together and not even because you want more protein, but just to "dilute" the carbohydrates. 30 grams of carbohydrates is a perfectly reasonable amount. Carb phobia is one of the silliest diet fads of our times.

I wonder when protein will become the new villain. Before it was fat, now it's carbs, perhaps protein is next.

I don't think that will ever happen.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Regular store oatmeal has over 30 g of carbohydrates!

As others have noted, the carbs, protein, cals (and fat), as well as sugar, depend on what you add.

I'm not into oats at the moment, but at one time it was my favorite breakfast (and I lost weight just fine eating it). Mine (Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats) had 170 cals and 31 carbs, 5 g protein, 1 g sugar in one serving (which is what I usually ate). I typically added some blueberries or strawberries (which added carbs and specifically sugar) plus protein powder (which added about 110 cals and 20 g of protein). Sorry, neither the carbs, the sugar (a subset of carbs), nor the cals horrify me.

I switched just because I tend to change my favorite breakfast after a while.
  • lemurcat2
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ETA:; whole grain oats aren't high in sugar...they don't even have sugar at all. The carbohydrates in oats are fiber and starch...no sugar.

They have a tiny bit of inherent sugar, although I'm sure that's not what OP is all worried about.
  • lemurcat2
    You're paying a huge premium for two common foods (oats and protein powder) mixed together and not even because you want more protein, but just to "dilute" the carbohydrates. 30 grams of carbohydrates is a perfectly reasonable amount. Carb phobia is one of the silliest diet fads of our times.

I wonder when protein will become the new villain. Before it was fat, now it's carbs, perhaps protein is next.

It already is for some in the WFPB community (many of those who cite the China Study are anti protein or at least pro limiting protein (not just from animal sources, but total amount)).
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    How to Eat Oatmeal · 19 November 2001
    When it comes to mornings I am a confident coffee-drinker, cigarette-smoker and pill-swallower; I am also a task-avoider, phone-ignorer and a staunch advocate of delayed rising. In negotiating the vast expanse of time that falls before noon I am also preoccupied with breakfast.

With the exception of kedgeree and white cake muffins, I like all known forms of breakfast, but I like oatmeal most.

There’s no point pretending that oatmeal is anything but a dour grain stigmatised by centuries of Scottish poverty and the feedbags of horses. But it must be eaten – for health and spiritual well-being – and it must be eaten right.

What you will need: a coffee cup, a clean cotton cloth, a bowl, a spoon, a heavy-bottomed pot (with lid) and a stove, water, salt, brown sugar, cream, and of course oatmeal: none of this ‘quick’ folderol in a cardboard tube or (for heaven’s sake!) instant nukable crap in foil packets with flavourings of fruit and spice. You will need oats. Rolled oats. You can buy them bulk, or in a bag, for not much money. You will need already to have consumed some of your morning coffee: this is careful work and you can’t make oatmeal in a haze.

Decide how many souls deserve your oatmeal this morning (it may only be you, it may only be you), and with the coffee cup measure out (cold!) water from the tap: two cupsful for each person, into the pot. When the water is measured out, dip your cup into the pot and steal some back. Onto the fire. Between your thumb and forefinger take a pinch from the ramekin of sea salt beside the stove and add to the water. (Should you not have a ramekin of sea salt beside the stove, you don’t deserve oatmeal.)

While the water heats, carefully dry out the coffee cup with the cloth, making sure not to leave a hint of moisture behind. Just as the water boils, add oatmeal, one cupful per person, in a gentle, rocking side-to-side pour (had you not dried the inside of the cup, there would be a sticky mess of oat crumbs inside, but because you did there’s only a dusting of oat flour, see? So much better).

With your spoon, stir. Turn the fire down to its weakest point, leave off the lid and go open the paper. Do not set a timer or consult the wall clock, because you are honing instinct. When all water has been absorbed, after, say, two front-page articles, turn off the fire, put on the lid, and read one more front-page article.

Note, as you scoop into the bowl, how the oat grains have puffed up to a lovely fat creamy consistency. Sprinkle brown sugar on, then pour cream (do it the other way around, you don’t deserve oatmeal).

--Dean Allen

Good copypasta right here.
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Read some of the really bad vegan *advocacy* sites. It's already here, if you visit the right (wrong?) neighborhoods.

Having a sub-convo on another thread about Dr. Greger (the quack behind the ironically-named nutritionfacts web site) talking about how leucine - y'know, a key amino acid needed for better muscle protein synthesis? - will shorten your lifespan. 🙄 (Don't believe me? https://nutritionfacts.org/2015/06/16/living-longer-by-reducing-leucine-intake/).

Other readers: I have nothing against veganism. I'm a vegetarian - 46 years now. I have something against anti-scientific idiots.

Da fahq is wrong with you? Why are you going to turn your response into a personal attack?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    It also has xantham. I don’t Use xantham, so I don’t know, but isn’t that used to bulk up volume, per volume eaters thread?
    Or am I mistaken?