Committing to low-carb diets

Options
I'm committing to a low-carb diet with my lover, and we're both excited to try it. We figured we'd use the diet as a base, but she plans to add to hers based on her goals, while I'm sticking to it for mine.

Do you guys have any experiences, thoughts, or advice you'd like to share on them?

This will probably be my best attempt at weight loss and gains yet, so I'm really hoping this works out for me.

Replies

• MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of low carb. Have enough of the right kind of food. Never get stuck hungry in a social situation with treats around.
    I found low carb ice cream which is a fun way to switch up my diet.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Low carb works really well for some people but less well for others. I am someone who does better eating carbs within the recommended range of 45-65% of my calories. Provided my calories are in deficit, I lose weight regardless of my macros, but I have found that I have more energy when I eat more carbs. You will need to experiment with what works for you: it is very individual. Also, do remember that 1g fat = 9 calories while 1g of carbs or of protein = 4 calories. I found that when I ate fewer carbs it was my fat intake that tended to go up, and I think this was one reason why I was feeling hungry and lacking in energy.
  • khage525
    khage525 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have always been really sensitive to carbs and do best on a high protein diet. I recently tried Keto but that amount of fat just seemed unnecessary and I didn't like it. However, it did teach me that health fats can help keep you full, and not all fat is bad.
    I eat about 45% protein, 35% fat and 20% carbs. Lately I have been eating closer to 15% carbs just because I've really been able to adjust to the low carb lifestyle. I started about 2 weeks ago and have lot about 5 pounds already. This is HUGE for me because I have a thyroid disorder that makes it really difficult to lose weight. Needless to say the results have been very motivating for me.
    My advice is find some staples for when you're hungry.. mine are peanut butter and premier protein shakes. I also do intermittent fasting where I don't eat after dinner and then not until 10am, so I have a high protein breakfast with some fat to get me off to a good start to the day. I also eat a pancake everyday. Lol It sounds dumb, but I make low carb ones with almond flour and it makes me feel like I am having more carbs, so mentally it's easier for me. You'd be surprised of all the yummy low carb recipes and alternatives there are! I highly recommend looking up keto recipes, even if you're like me and not going full keto, you can get some good ideas and tailor some to be a little lower in fat. And remember that low carb doesn't mean NO carbs.. there are plenty of foods that you can eat in moderation and not feel deprived. I also let myself have a little bit of a cheat meal or snack once a week and it hasn't affected my progress. I think it's important not to deprive yourself too much if you want this to be a longterm thing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Here's the Low Carber Daily Forum, maybe take a look over there.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum

I was just about to recommend this too. It's a nice group, with people doing moderately low carb (like me, currently) to keto levels.

I don't have specific advice other than if you are jumping into keto up salt and eat plenty of non starchy veg to keep electrolytes up, as the drop in electrolytes that goes along with dropping carbs very low tends to cause many of the symptoms of keto flu (like headache).

Beyond that, it would depend on specific issues.

I tend to do somewhat low carb on a deficit since I just find carbs the easiest to cut (although I make sure to eat plenty of veg and some fruit), just because of my personal preferences. I like to build meals around protein and vegetables and having leeway to include plenty of fat makes this very satisfying (again, given personal preferences). However, for me low carbing doesn't really affect appetite or cravings (which aren't my issues), but I know for some it does.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I think the key to "commiting" to any change is knowing where you're starting from, having a realistic plan, and understanding you will have backslides and struggles and that's ok.

I've never eaten low carb, so I'll leave helping you with what a realistic plan might be for you to someone who has :smile:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I'm another low-carber who, like Lemur above, naturally gravitates that way in weight loss mode. I just find carbs much easier to cut. I recently reduced them even further than usual to help with some hunger issues I was having.

I'll second maximising your low carb/non-starchy veg intake. Low carb sometimes gets a bad rap for being deficient in this area, but it needn't be, it's all about the choices you make.

As Lemur said, depending on how low you're going, you may need to keep an eye on electrolytes. If you find yourself feeling headachy or fatigued, up your salt intake.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I need to get started with Low Carb as well. I did it a while back and it worked great for me but unfortunately I went off MFP thinking I could do it by myself and didnt stick with it eventually and gained everything back. I tried the Low Carber group link mentioned above but there doesnt seem a way to join it...no button. Either way...I'm starting over so add me if you have space for a friend!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2020
    Options
    khage525 wrote: »
    I have always been really sensitive to carbs and do best on a high protein diet. I recently tried Keto but that amount of fat just seemed unnecessary and I didn't like it. However, it did teach me that health fats can help keep you full, and not all fat is bad.
    I eat about 45% protein, 35% fat and 20% carbs. Lately I have been eating closer to 15% carbs just because I've really been able to adjust to the low carb lifestyle. I started about 2 weeks ago and have lot about 5 pounds already. This is HUGE for me because I have a thyroid disorder that makes it really difficult to lose weight. Needless to say the results have been very motivating for me.
    My advice is find some staples for when you're hungry.. mine are peanut butter and premier protein shakes. I also do intermittent fasting where I don't eat after dinner and then not until 10am, so I have a high protein breakfast with some fat to get me off to a good start to the day. I also eat a pancake everyday. Lol It sounds dumb, but I make low carb ones with almond flour and it makes me feel like I am having more carbs, so mentally it's easier for me. You'd be surprised of all the yummy low carb recipes and alternatives there are! I highly recommend looking up keto recipes, even if you're like me and not going full keto, you can get some good ideas and tailor some to be a little lower in fat. And remember that low carb doesn't mean NO carbs.. there are plenty of foods that you can eat in moderation and not feel deprived. I also let myself have a little bit of a cheat meal or snack once a week and it hasn't affected my progress. I think it's important not to deprive yourself too much if you want this to be a longterm thing.

FYI, one of the problems people often fall into with keto is largely about fat and its not. The only thing that matters for our bodies to run primarily off ketones is carb suppression. And ironically what you are doing now can still get you in ketosis or close to it. I run a targeted ketogenic diet (TKD) which puts 30g of glucose right before a workout. I also run higher protein than the mainstream version. After all said and done, i am about 45p/40F/15C. I am glad you ended up finding what works for you.

OP, it's actually easy to work a meal plan that would work for her and yourself. Its as easy as changing a side dish. That is what i do with my wife. I cook dinner that is generally focused on lean meats or fish and then i do a low gi side for me and a higher one for her. For example with Taco Tuesday. I make a taco bowl with grilled veggies, sour cream, guacamole, cheese and salsa for me, while i give her less meat, add in a low carb wrap and maybe some corn.

I am also a chaffle (keto waffles) king. I come up with 5 or 6 different varieties.

g1r2iioap2re.jpg

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it works for a lot of people. its just another way to reduce calories. The thing you want to keep in mind, though, is when you reach your goal weight, how will you (or will you?) incorporate them back into your diet without throwing your maintenance calories over, and creating a calorie surplus.

for ME, it would never work. I can skip rice and potatoes easily enough, but breads, and deserts, yeah.... I'm not getting rid of those. You just learn to make them fit within your overall calorie goals (whether a deficit or maintenance) LOL
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    it works for a lot of people. its just another way to reduce calories. The thing you want to keep in mind, though, is when you reach your goal weight, how will you (or will you?) incorporate them back into your diet without throwing your maintenance calories over, and creating a calorie surplus.

for ME, it would never work. I can skip rice and potatoes easily enough, but breads, and deserts, yeah.... I'm not getting rid of those. You just learn to make them fit within your overall calorie goals (whether a deficit or maintenance) LOL

There are some pretty good low carb breads (Schmidt 647) and lots of dessert that fit into both low carb and keto. Just depends on what you are looking for.
  • bertoroe
    bertoroe Posts: 12 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I was just about to recommend this too. It's a nice group, with people doing moderately low carb (like me, currently) to keto levels.

I don't have specific advice other than if you are jumping into keto up salt and eat plenty of non starchy veg to keep electrolytes up, as the drop in electrolytes that goes along with dropping carbs very low tends to cause many of the symptoms of keto flu (like headache).

I tend to do somewhat low carb on a deficit since I just find carbs the easiest to cut (although I make sure to eat plenty of veg and some fruit), just because of my personal preferences. I like to build meals around protein and vegetables and having leeway to include plenty of fat makes this very satisfying (again, given personal preferences). However, for me low carbing doesn't really affect appetite or cravings (which aren't my issues), but I know for some it does.

Yeah, I've noticed the salt intake is big for this. On a whim, I decided to try adding salt to my water, and it made a difference. And it made me realize it's not far from how energy drinks work. I also drink more water in general too. I didn't know about the non-starchy veggies though, I'll have to look into that. I'm guessing it has to do with the body using energy to break the starchy veggies? Why do you recommend avoiding them to keep your electrolytes up?

I don't feel headaches much even when I'm deprived, I do notice I am more irritable though, and lacking in energy in general. Carbs are easy to cut yes. And yes, lowering carbs hasn't necessarily affected my appetite, moreso my overall mood and energy levels. But I haven't felt the urge to splurge. But yes, it does for some I suppose.
  • bertoroe
    Options
    khage525 wrote: »

So far I have tried low carb pancakes, which I'm pretty sure I botched, and chia puddings. The chia puddings are amazing. But yeah, I am looking for recipes as I speak to make a meal plan. I feel it's the last thing holding me back from making progress, having an organized meal plan.
  • bertoroe
    Options
    I am on day 3 of low carb. Have enough of the right kind of food. Never get stuck hungry in a social situation with treats around.
    I found low carb ice cream which is a fun way to switch up my diet.

I will have to look into low carb ice creams. The main "snack" foods I've eaten lately have been fruits added into my chia puddings. I never had chia puddings before, and I used to think very negatively towards them until I found out the puddings were similar to tapioca, which I have tried. Good luck with your journey!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    bertoroe wrote: »

Yeah, I've noticed the salt intake is big for this. On a whim, I decided to try adding salt to my water, and it made a difference. And it made me realize it's not far from how energy drinks work.

Pretty much if you mean something like gatorade, except they have a variety of electrolytes and usually sugar. One option is Nuun tablets, which you can mix with water to create sugar/cal free (or very low) versions of gatorade.
    I didn't know about the non-starchy veggies though, I'll have to look into that. I'm guessing it has to do with the body using energy to break the starchy veggies? Why do you recommend avoiding them to keep your electrolytes up?

The opposite: I recommend eating plenty of them, because they are great sources of potassium, which is also an electrolyte (and one important when one is eating more sodium).
  • bertoroe
    Options
    bertoroe wrote: »

Yeah, I've noticed the salt intake is big for this. On a whim, I decided to try adding salt to my water, and it made a difference. And it made me realize it's not far from how energy drinks work.

Pretty much if you mean something like gatorade, except they have a variety of electrolytes and usually sugar. One option is Nuun tablets, which you can mix with water to create sugar/cal free (or very low) versions of gatorade.
    I didn't know about the non-starchy veggies though, I'll have to look into that. I'm guessing it has to do with the body using energy to break the starchy veggies? Why do you recommend avoiding them to keep your electrolytes up?

The opposite: I recommend eating plenty of them, because they are great sources of potassium, which is also an electrolyte (and one important when one is eating more sodium).

I'll look into the mix. I confused myself typing my response and thought you were recommending not eating starchy veggies lol. I see that you were recommending eating non-starchy because of your reasons. Thanks!