Weight Watchers

Options
124»

Replies

• Kazmerelda
    Kazmerelda Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can only echo what others have said re WW. I decided not to do it this time as it just doesn't work in the long term goal. I am definitely a firm believer now of eating how you will for the rest of your life, sadly counting weight watchers points forever is not the one. In reality that is exactly what you would have to do.

I also agree that you can eat loads and loads of veg and stuff for free points then use your points for alcohol, chocolate etc. I know all my buddies used to eat the no point soup all week and save their points for drinking at the weekend.

I am learning much more this time round, I am a chocolate head tbh (I never used to be) but I have to account for it in cals rather than points (which wasn't as bad, I could do power walking for an hour, get 8 points and have 2 chocolate bars...NOT really healthy). I am able with this to wean myself off slowly but surely and find better choices.
  • stratcat45
    stratcat45 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm a Weight Watchers lifetimer who quit WW after losing the weight then stopped doing the program and well, we all know what happens. But that happens with EVERY diet - you stop doing it, it stops working. I'm headed back there tonight to start over. Why there? For the past year I've been trying to do it on my own and I just can't; I need the meetings and the accountability of a weigh-in. This time around I've also joined a gym (something I never ever thought I'd do, but I'm loving it).

I don't find it difficult figuring out a point value of an item...I have a smart phone so I can scan the bar code or use the point calculator, it takes seconds. Yes, maybe just looking at the label for the calories is quick too; but calorie counting never worked for me. I really don't eat the Smart Ones or the WW packaged snacks - I cook my own meals and such. I probably eat healthier now than I ever have. I know several bloggers who have maintained for years without having to count points forever; but what's the difference from counting points forever or counting calories forever? It's an indivdual choice.

I think each person needs to find what works for them. I don't believe any program is any better than another - what works for one, won't work for another. Everyone needs to find what they can do for a life time. I tend to be a little more structured if I'm paying and having someone else weigh me in!
  • stratcat45
    stratcat45 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just recently started Weight Watchers and was wondering if anyone knew any good low point recipes for dinner. I am using the smart ones however it is getting pretty expensive and I would like to find a more cost effective way for dinners.

Try these sites: Skinnytaste; Greenlitebites, Danicasdaily, Emilybites too name just a few.
  • Jlynn0116
    Jlynn0116 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I think the old WW program was fantastic! I lost 95lbs over a 2 year period and it was all while I was doing WW religiously. I tried it again after having my baby 2 years ago but the new program gives you so many points, I honestly don't see how anyone can lose weight on it. Plus they allow you "cheat" points on top of the huge amount already given. I just didn't see any results when i tried it again and have been way more successful this time around using MFP and exercising.
    Everyone is different though!
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Personally I would not want to spend $18 every month for a lifetime. they offer it free if you achieve a goal weight and keep within a couple pound margins. I do wonder how many people are still qualified for that category.
    I do see the value of support groups and talking about healthy food. I do have a concern for a company that sells processed food as part of its program.

When I read on the message board "I have tried it on and off for years", the "first time I did it I lost X pounds", "the second time I did I lost X pounds" I am left with the impression Jacques Perrettis doc "the men who made us thin"{ now uploaded on you tube }may be right. Much of the diet industry is built on failure and repeat business.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It's double the work sort of but WW just works for me. I have struggled since I began MPF and became frustrated. But what I do like vs. WW online is the more interactive support system and of course the cost. :) But I feel that the points system for me takes all the guesswork out when it comes to figuring out my my macros. And to MPF's benefit I feel as though I have come up with healthier meal ideas which translate into lower point options. Plus on here having my diary open and checking in with friends everyday keeps me accountable and helps me make better choices.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I do both WW online and MFP and track on both every day. The counts are amazing similar (if I'm 100 calories under on MFP, I'll have 2 points left on WW for example).

I learned how to eat properly following the WW plans. I like the MFP app better which is really the prime reason I'm here.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Honestly as a person who has done both, I vote MFP. I still use a lot of WW recipes, but the bottom line is it's too confusing counting points vs calories. I had hit a standstill w/ weight watchers and I think that the fact that fruits are free is misleading, b/c yes you should eat fruit, but it does have calories in it! The other thing I like better about MFP is the database of foods. With WW I would have to plug in all the nutrition facts of a lot of foods I was eating (in order to calculate the points), b/c they just simply were not in their database (very aggravating and time consuming!!) Also, most importantly I have found a lot more support at MFP, have a great bunch of friends who are very supportive and active on this site! This is just my opinion. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I did WW a few years ago, and had great success (lost 50lbs... and then got pregnant and messed that up haha). However, now that I have done both, I prefer MFP. MFP simply fits better into my lifestyle - and I love having "friends" on MFP to encourage, encourage me, help keep me accountable, swap ideas, etc. I also get great food ideas my creeping my friends diaries. Even when I went to WW meetings, I didn't get that much from them aside from a rah-rah-go-team pep talk.
  • camiah
    camiah Posts: 146
    Options
    I just came back to MFP after canceling my WW account. I decided to cancel my WW account because I just wasn't using it. I hate the online tracker--MFP's is so much easier to use. It has a much bigger database of foods (it at least has entries for something like paneer jalfrezi, while WW had nothing). I also got tired of the nonintuitive nature of the points--calories are more concrete and meaningful. The final straw that pushed me to MFP was that I got a new Fitbit, and I wanted to take advantage of the integration between what I was doing physically with what I was doing in terms of eating. So here I am.

Edit: typo!
  • DarleneMarie203
    DarleneMarie203 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've done Weight Watcher's at least 3 or 4 times and the only time I did well on it was in 2001 I lost 55 pounds. I stopped going after that thinking that I could maintain my goal weight on my own but, that sure did not happen! 12 years later I gained the 55 pounds back and then some. :frown:

The other times I would plateau, get frustrated and quit.

Personally I like MFP much better! Not only is it free but, it just works so much better! (For me anyway.)

I was going to re-join WW but a friend told me about this "free" website. I was skeptical at first but, I am doing it. I have been doing this for 20 days now and lost 6 pounds. It doesn't seem like alot but, on WW I think that I lost too fast and that's not good. From what I have been told on here is that it's better to loose it slow this way your more likely to maintain your goal weight.

Anyway, that just my opinion. But, this time around I am in no big hurry to get this weight off. It isn't a race and I didn't put it on overnight, so I can't expect to to loose it overnight.

I thank GOD for this website and all of the friends that I have made on here giving me so much support!:heart: I never thought that there would be anything online or otherwise that is free to help me loose weight!

:bigsmile:
  • blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi There, I just saw your post about WW and am struggling with staying on WW since I can use MFP for free. I too did well on WW about 10 years ago and I think I just have it in my mind that WW is the best way to go since I had success. But I've joined since then 3 or 4 times as well and just can't get with it and one of the things I have a real issue with is that monthly payment. In addition, since I've discovered MFP, I have found that their food database is so much better there's no comparison. I'm constantly having to input a new food into WW and I find it interesting that such a huge corporation has such a limited food database since that's what their whole company is about - food. Anyway, I think I'm going to stop WW and just stick with MFP. My mind is really in a good place to do this and I want to do it with a method that I truly can live with - and paying for the rest of my life isn't conducive to my pocket book. :) Your post really encouraged me, and I want to thank you. I've been on the fence for some time about this.:smile:
  • heartcountry
    heartcountry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs. on WW and it does work but it is very costly! Once you get off it you do gain all the weight back and sometimes even more then were you started.
  • blpnana
    blpnana Posts: 36
    Options
    I just canceled Weight Watchers. It's fine, I lost 50 pounds following it 10 years ago. But the cost does add up, and the database here on MFP is leaps and bounds better than the one on WW. In addition on MFP you can track certain nutrients you're interested in. On MFP you're only tracking the points of food - at the end of the day you have no idea how much fat / cholesterol / protein, etc. you've consumed in a day. And, needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, MFP is free. I'm doing MFP full time now and it's great.