Let's make parenting even harder....

Options
124»

Replies

• Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I love kids so much, I'm not having any.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Ha! With me being a new mom, I always think about how I grew up vs. how children grow up now, and it does seem harder in these times then it appeared to be back then. I really don't want my son growing up to be spoiled, but at the same time, I want to give him all the things I didn't have or opportunities that my parents couldn't afford as a child . At the end of the day, I know that fancy parties, clothes, and toys won't mean *kitten* if I don't give him unconditional love and guidance. Sometimes I feel that this sentiment is missing from so many others, and I hope that I don't become one of them.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I support this. Too many people having ugly babies.
  • ImSoOTired
    ImSoOTired Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Agree. We never asked our parents for those fleeting fad toys. We knew better. Furby, tamagotchi, tickle me elmo, etc...we could...
    a)but it with our own money that we saved from a birthday or did work for a neighbor (we did not get money from doing work around the house. We lived there for free and were expected to do work to help maintain our free living space)
    b) We could wait and ask for it as a Christmas or birthday gift and we may get it if our behavior was appropriate and the price was reasonable (we didn't get toys just because...it had to be an occasion)

I think it was great because we really learned the value of money and we learned not to be spoiled or to feel entitled to things. I saved my money and bought a house with it when I turned 23 right before I got married. I hope to raise my kids the same way.

I seriously need to learn a lesson from this....

I'm glad you agree with this. I thank my parents regularly for making me such a responsible adult. They tell me how proud they are and it makes up for not always having the best toys or the nicest clothes. I look back and think I'm so happy I didn't have that stuff because it made me who I am today. And I'm really quite happy and I'll take their pride in me over material things any day.