Do you feel shame when buying junk food?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    How fun! I've never even thought about it. I'm just trying to get through checkout as fast as possible. How do they know how many people you're buying food for? It seems to me that this is all in your head. I couldn't give two hoots what the cashier, or anyone else thinks. Maybe they're jealous, maybe they're having a bad day,....

Buy what you want. I'd plan on how I'm going to budget it into my calories as I'm standing in line. A question. Do you look at other people's carts?

I agree... such an odd way to judge someone's life. I shop for a family of 7. From the ages of 4 to 41. All types of stuff is in my cart. :laugh:

Side note, I now look in other people's carts while in Costco to see if paper towels are in stock and should I grab that first before shopping. 🤷‍♀️🤣😂
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    No shame at all here. I very rarely buy store-bought junk foods - but on occasion will bake myself a half batch of chocolate chip cookies or a pineapple upside-down cake. I enjoy it without guilt and realize that I won't be losing any weight that week. After it's gone, I go back to deficit eating.

For me, it's important that indulging in food once in a while DOES NOT give me an excuse to skip my work-outs or not drink enough water or 'forget' to log the extra calories.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    No. But sometimes I do get a kick out of what people are probably thinking when they see my cart filled with goodies, probably thinking it's for a party or my whole family when it is all for me. ;)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    How fun! I've never even thought about it. I'm just trying to get through checkout as fast as possible. How do they know how many people you're buying food for? It seems to me that this is all in your head. I couldn't give two hoots what the cashier, or anyone else thinks. Maybe they're jealous, maybe they're having a bad day,....

Buy what you want. I'd plan on how I'm going to budget it into my calories as I'm standing in line. A question. Do you look at other people's carts?

I actually do! 😀 Either because something looks good (I tend to comment how I'll just be following that person home. NON CREEPILY!) or they have a bunch of random things and I'm trying to figure out how they go together.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options

Back when— tips for finding a good man. Go to the grocery store. Hang around the frozen dinners. Look for single men and check out their carts. Nothing but TV dinners? Probably single and available. Mostly twinkies and ding dongs? Probably hanging on to the last relationship, leave him alone. Mostly healthy produce? Grab him fast! Not only is he single, but he cooks!
    Lol.
    I met lots of gay guys that way.

ROFLMAO!
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Well, if I end up buying it I don't feel shame. That said, the idea that "I really shouldn't" does stop me from buying quite a few things. Like, I have an internal debate "this would taste nice. - Yeah, but if has high calories. You ok with that?" - And sometimes I think I am not and so dont buy it, but at other times I am fine with it and end up buying the stuff.

The main thing I sometimes feel shame about when buying food is spending (too much, but is it?) money. - And the feeling is the same no matter if the food is some nice fresh cherries, avocados, beyond burgers, or ice cream.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options

Back when— tips for finding a good man. Go to the grocery store. Hang around the frozen dinners. Look for single men and check out their carts. Nothing but TV dinners? Probably single and available. Mostly twinkies and ding dongs? Probably hanging on to the last relationship, leave him alone. Mostly healthy produce? Grab him fast! Not only is he single, but he cooks!
    Lol.
    What does cat food and Ben & Jerry's say about me?

How you doin? 😏
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

Lol.
    What does cat food and Ben & Jerry's say about me?

It was said back then that dog food said he was loving and looking for companionship. I would say cat food says you are loving, and just a little bit independent!
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought a box of 10,000 tampons at Costco, the cashier said, “Wow how many holes you gonna stick those in?!” and I was like “YOU SCOUNDREL!” and then I tore a leg off my rotisserie chicken and threw it at him.

My history of hiding junk food and binge eating could fill a novel. Hey, you ever been to TWO drive-thrus for yourself and hidden the food from the first from the second cashier? Ha, ha. Good times. It’s been awhile since I did that but I still have related habits and tons of shame.

Laughingggg
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    As for me.. i hate when people look through my cart. I have to avoid wheat so that means frequently buying things marked gluten free. A lot of times I feel like people are rolling their eyes at the idea of another middle-aged SUV-driving soccer mom doing a trendy diet, especially if I happen to have a lot of veggies too but let’s face it

hahahahah

I don’t buy those much

😑

new year new me