Tight and sore hamstrings

My hamstrings are typically quite tight. Lately, the left one has been especially tight and sore. Today I skipped my regular workout and only did yoga, stretching and foam rolling. I’ve put some A535 on it.

Any additional hamstring stretches or ideas?

Thank you,

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Describe your regular workout and if you added anything novel recently.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    If there's pain, don't stretch it. That risks a tear.
  • I use beachbody on demand. I finished two rounds of 21 day fix extreme real time(21DFXRT). Then decided to try the original 21 day fix extreme (21DFO). Both of these programs have a fair amount of lower body exercises. I recently did the Abs, Booty, Core (ABC) routine from the original. There were a lot of squats, lunges, and a 1 minute squat hold. This was the first time I had done that workout. The next day my left hamstring was particularly sore. For the last couple of days, I’ve taken it a bit easier — skipping a day entirely, 21 DFEO upper body, yoga, and today I did Brazil butt lift sculpt (which is a beginning program and is mostly upper body). I followed up today with more foam rolling.
    Yesterday my left hamstring was quite sore still. I put A535 on it and early evening took a Robax Today my hamstring is feeling quite a bit better.
    I know my hamstrings are typically tight. So, I think I likely just over did it in the ABC workout.
    Wondering about strategies to deal with the general tightness.

Thank you.
  • Chieflrg
    I use beachbody on demand. I finished two rounds of 21 day fix extreme real time(21DFXRT). Then decided to try the original 21 day fix extreme (21DFO). Both of these programs have a fair amount of lower body exercises. I recently did the Abs, Booty, Core (ABC) routine from the original. There were a lot of squats, lunges, and a 1 minute squat hold. This was the first time I had done that workout. The next day my left hamstring was particularly sore. For the last couple of days, I’ve taken it a bit easier — skipping a day entirely, 21 DFEO upper body, yoga, and today I did Brazil butt lift sculpt (which is a beginning program and is mostly upper body). I followed up today with more foam rolling.
    Yesterday my left hamstring was quite sore still. I put A535 on it and early evening took a Robax Today my hamstring is feeling quite a bit better.
    I know my hamstrings are typically tight. So, I think I likely just over did it in the ABC workout.

Thank you.

More than likely this is the culprit.

When we do a novel movement, we cam expect DOMS in some compacity.

If you were doing pause squat, that has the capability to be a bit more stressful to your body depending on the volume and/or intensity.

Strategy is continue training within your current adapatations. That might entail less volume, ROM, or exercise selection or variation.

• MsNobody1984
    MsNobody1984 Posts: 5 Member
    Ice it-avoid heat which can make inflammation worse.
  • Thank you for the suggestions. After taking it a little easier for a few days, foam rolling, A535, Robax, some self massage and careful stretching, my hamstrings feel better than they normally do.
    I was previously planning to switch to 80 day obsession starting in January. But I’ve decided to try muscle burns fat (MBF) instead. I did the first one yesterday and the second one today. It has a 21 day calendar.
    Merry Christmas all.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    When I'm going to be doing something that tends to hurt my hamstrings I foam roll before AND after.

Each year the beginning of the gardening season is brutal on them. If I haven't done yoga Moon Salutations in a while that can be rough too. Etc.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I use beachbody on demand. I finished two rounds of 21 day fix extreme real time(21DFXRT). Then decided to try the original 21 day fix extreme (21DFO). Both of these programs have a fair amount of lower body exercises. I recently did the Abs, Booty, Core (ABC) routine from the original. There were a lot of squats, lunges, and a 1 minute squat hold. This was the first time I had done that workout. The next day my left hamstring was particularly sore. For the last couple of days, I’ve taken it a bit easier — skipping a day entirely, 21 DFEO upper body, yoga, and today I did Brazil butt lift sculpt (which is a beginning program and is mostly upper body). I followed up today with more foam rolling.

Thank you.

If you were doing pause squat, that has the capability to be a bit more stressful to your body depending on the volume and/or intensity.

Strategy is continue training within your current adapatations. That might entail less volume, ROM, or exercise selection or variation.

What would you suggest for soreness that comes on after a few years? I have been doing yoga for a little over 3 years and lately my hamstrings are very sore. No pops, I don't think I tore anything but I feel like I am one forward fold away from a strain or tear. Any thoughts would be apprecieated.

• Chieflrg
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Thank you.

What would you suggest for soreness that comes on after a few years? I have been doing yoga for a little over 3 years and lately my hamstrings are very sore. No pops, I don't think I tore anything but I feel like I am one forward fold away from a strain or tear. Any thoughts would be apprecieated.

Hard to say without knowing your train history & load management. More info is needed as soreness and pain is way more complicated than what is generally thought.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    I'll just add to make sure your form is good and you are not putting load on your hamstrings when it should be on your glutes, etc.

Your hamstrings can tend to pick up the slack for some other muscle groups if they aren't engaged or strong....so just make sure that you have good strength in those surrounding muscles, and that may help alleviate some of the overworking of your hamstrings.

And yeah, be aware and don't overstretch.