Not logging food. How to lose weight while away from home?

Options
2»

Replies

• standout00
    standout00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    [quotea="bubus05;c-45593645"]Using an app to log food is a great tool for accuracy calories macros etc but in the end it's just a tool, much like like a calculator. I sometimes play this game, I estimate the calories macros of a given food then check on the app if I was close. It is not rocket science, even if first you will get it completely wrong you will learn from it, adjust your mental calculations. Eventually you will be close enough to have a reasonable estimate, that is if using an app is not possible for whatever reason. The main rule I follow generally speaking if it looks too good too delicious or sweet just eat less of it or best dont eat it at all.

Pleasure is not wicked or sinful. Yes, balance is important: Nutrition, calorie level, satiation, more. Happiness and enjoyment are part of that balance. (The idea that all delicious foods are high in calories and low in nutrition is part of the mythology: Many nutritious, delicious things are calorie efficient and healthful, when opening one's mind beyond "only sins are pleasurable".)

Just my opinions, as always. [/quote]

Thanks for the insight! I prefer to know the exact calories I've consumed rather than a pretty close estimate of them.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    bubus05 wrote: »
    Using an app to log food is a great tool for accuracy calories macros etc but in the end it's just a tool, much like like a calculator. I sometimes play this game, I estimate the calories macros of a given food then check on the app if I was close. It is not rocket science, even if first you will get it completely wrong you will learn from it, adjust your mental calculations. Eventually you will be close enough to have a reasonable estimate, that is if using an app is not possible for whatever reason. The main rule I follow generally speaking if it looks too good too delicious or sweet just eat less of it or best dont eat it at all.

For most of us, the plan to deprive ourselves forever (or at least until goal) of foods we enjoy is simply not sustainable. Been there, done that and failed about a billion times. It’s much easier, at least for me, to enjoy all the food I like and simply weigh it and track it. This way, I can eat what I enjoy and STILL lose weight.

For once, I have stuck with it for more than 2 months. I am down over 30 lbs with about 35 more until goal and I don’t have to worry about what happens when I go into maintenance. I will be able to eat exactly like I do currently, but slightly more calories.

@bubus05 last time you posted regarding winging it, it wasn’t going so well for you. Have you tried accurately weighing and tracking yet to see if that helps you begin to lose weight again?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you were logging for very long, you probably have a good idea of what you ate to stay within your calories goals. You could even print some past good diaries to guide you at times when you can weigh and log all your good. It’s mostly about portion control. For example, if you had 2 eggs for breakfast, a salad for lunch, a protein and veggies and a glass of wine for dinner, you know you can’t eat all that plus 6 slices of bacon, a pile potatoes , 5 drinks, and cake and ice cream , and a bag of chips and still meet your calories. Don’t make it more complicated than it is. 🤗