How to get into cooking more (I hate it)

I’m living at home right now, so I don’t cook a lot. Buying pre-made meals costs more, then I save less and it’s a vicious cycle.

Is there a way to make it less painful? All of my meals right now are raw or microwaved. Sometimes 15 minutes in the oven, sometimes the crockpot.

I spend less than an hour preparing my meals. I did a basic google search and some health bloggers spend 2-4 hours in the kitchen each day. How do I get to maybe just an hour, for now?

Replies

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    edited December 2020
    Do you like home cooked food generally? It can help to have a handful of dishes that you really enjoy eating, then making them is less of a chore as you'll be 'rewarded'. You can choose quick recipes too - a stir fry, for example; the cutting of the veg (but you could buy pre-cut to begin with) is the slowest part but we can usually make a stir fry in under 15 minutes. There are loads of cook books out there based around the cooking time. I'm in the UK so he might not be of interest, but Jamie Oliver has a few.

You might try batch cooking. For example, a big pot of chilli or a stew or some soup, which can be frozen and then reheated. I batch cook to avoid opting for the convenience of takeaways/fast food if we can't be bothered to cook or weren't organised to have all of the ingredients to hand. Meal planning comes into it then; usually the problem is we forgot to get the protein out of the freezer.

A slow cooker might work, too. Chuck the ingredients in, in the morning, eat it in the evening. Great for stews.

There's 2 of us, so we almost always portion for 4 (most recipes are for 4 people I've found) and then reheat the leftovers, so we aren't cooking from scratch every day. I don't do meal prep.. it just seems like too much effort, for me, but I do need to start prepping snacks (e.g. chopped up fruit/veg).
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    edited December 2020
    I cook pretty much all my meals from scratch. I make 2 different evening meals most days, because my husband and I have very different tastes, and I rarely spend more than 30 mins making dinner. I love cooking, but I work so I just don’t have the time. Cooking doesn’t have to mean lots of time in the kitchen unless you want it to.

Google “healthy meals in minutes” and you’ll find lots of recipes for meals that can be made in 20 mins, or even less! My other tip would be make extra for another day and freeze it or put it in the fridge and eat it a few days later. It take the same to make 2 portions as it does one, and then you have something ready that just needs heating up cutting prep time to zero several days a week.

Once you find a few recipes that you like and you can cook quickly these will be your go to meals and it won’t seem hard.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    The library - cookbooks.
    Michael Symon’s 5 in 5. 5 ingredients in 5 minutes.

George Foreman grill or similar
    Thin cut loin chops
    Chicken tenders
    Minutes steaks
    All in about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with your favorite herbs or spices before cooking.

Favorite Veg in microwave.

Jamie Oliver does veggies that take just a little more cooking, but still simple.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Without knowing what you like to eat it's difficult to give advice. I cook everyday for at least 4 adults, sometimes 6. Most meals take me 30 min to prepare. I pick up interesting recipes everywhere--MFP, and the internet in general. Cooking gets faster and easier the more you do it. If you could be a bit more specific, my advice would be less generalized.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Without knowing what you like to eat it's difficult to give advice. I cook everyday for at least 4 adults, sometimes 6. Most meals take me 30 min to prepare. I pick up interesting recipes everywhere--MFP, and the internet in general. Cooking gets faster and easier the more you do it. If you could be a bit more specific, my advice would be less generalized.

Yes, to a big extent, I feel like cooking is faster and easier when you do it often. You know exactly where things are (because you used them and put them away just last night). You're less likely to be out of key ingredients because you're regularly using and replenishing things. You just get faster at routine tasks like chopping and tidying up.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Crockpot
    Instantpot
    Air fryer

All three will make amazing meals with little prep or effort.

Short on storage? I got a Ninja Foodi which does all three tasks, and gave the other three away.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Keep it simple. Two or three ingredients. Sea Bass, asparagus. Cooked in the same saute pan covered. When you start to like the process, add some ginger.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    I rarely spend even 30 minutes making dinner. I call myself a "connoisseur" of healthier convenience food. An example would be pre-cooked brown rice cups or pouches (many brands add nothing extra). I also do what was suggested above - keep it simple. I see no reason to have a bunch of variety in one meal as long as we have variety over time.

I'm part of a group on here that's called New Recipe Challenge. Several of us list our meal plans every week. Mine are nearly always easy and quick. Based on our lab work when we see the doctor, it's "healthy enough". You're welcome to join the group and/or add me as a friend.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I agree with those who say it would be helpful to know what you hate about cooking.

I like cooking, and rarely spend 2-4 hours per day doing it. When I was working out of the house most days, I'd cook dinner in about 30 min, have lunches premade from leftover dinners or a batch of something I made earlier, and had a set breakfast (I did cook an omelet, which takes minutes, but there are lots of breakfasts that involve no cooking).

I'd recommend starting by choosing breakfasts and lunches that can be pre-made or don't involve any more cooking than you are doing now and then experimenting with some easy/fast dinner options. For dinners, what types of foods do you like? (There are also lots of dinners that take longer in total minutes, but little cooking time. For example, roasting skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts, potatoes, and non-starchy veg.)
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    My fast list
    Baked potatoes or sweet potatoes in oven or crockpot takes me two minutes flop some veg and fruit and pre cooked chicken
    Potato soup in cp
    Taco soup or chili in cp
    Bbq in cp
    Chicken tacos in cp
    Baked chicken legs
    Pork chops baked in the ovenl
    Tacos
    Nachos healthified
    Anabolic french toast
    Protien pancakes
    Oatmeal could do savory
    Egg white scramble made into a wrap or sammie
    Salad with pre--cooked chicken
    Egg salad
    Chicken salad
    Tortilla pizza

All of these with fruit or veg or both so fast
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    okbuddha wrote: »
    I’m living at home right now, so I don’t cook a lot. Buying pre-made meals costs more, then I save less and it’s a vicious cycle.

Is there a way to make it less painful? All of my meals right now are raw or microwaved. Sometimes 15 minutes in the oven, sometimes the crockpot.

I spend less than an hour preparing my meals. I did a basic google search and some health bloggers spend 2-4 hours in the kitchen each day. How do I get to maybe just an hour, for now?
    Hello Fresh

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    I hate cooking too (and my dislike has increased with age) but it's more tolerable to make something in the crockpot and then portion it into six or eight meals that I freeze for later use because at least I'm getting more meals for my effort. Add a salad (I buy the bagged premixed salads for convenience) or veggies and there's dinner.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? I too have always viewed cooking as a chore, and I hated the time suck it was (not to mention cleaning up), especially since I was just cooking for myself. I'm also not a fan of leftovers and resented having to eat the same thing many times in a row if I made a recipe. Discovering TJ's was literally life changing for me. They have tons of food that actually tastes really good, is cheap, and requires little more than throwing something in the oven or possibly throwing a few ingredients together in a pot. I actually also spend far less money than when I was trying to buy all of these ingredients for "recipes" from the regular grocery store.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited December 2020
    Chore chore chore :(
    Oh I tried way back when in the beginning, raising a family. I'd scour cookbooks, try new recipes, shop for all those unique ingredients, just to try to please everyone. It'd take me at least an hour to prepare dinner, inhaled in 5-10 minutes and when you're feeding fussy kids along with a dh whose idea of eating veggies is corn.....I lost any enthusiasm for cooking. Not to mention I was working 45-50 hrs. a week also, and did dinner clean-up duty as well plus night time family needs always fell on me. So yeh, I ended up detesting cooking also.

I honestly feel very intimidated and ashamed when I hear of everybody's culinary marvels. :blush: And our 3 kids cook much more and better than I ever did. Last time my dd was home I made Vegan Pumpkin Mac N Cheese. It was good and I'm glad I did it but I'd never make it for just the 2 of us.

I always see recipes I'd love to try(hello Pinterest!!)but knowing I'd be the only one to eat them.......meh. So I go for basic and super easy now.
    My friends:
    Chicken
    Salads
    Healthy wraps
    Veggies(love roasted)
    Fruits
    Omelets with whatever veggies I'm in the mood for.
    I get crazy once in awhile and make a batch of homemade soup, very versatile and good for lots of meals
    Crockpot is such a great tool, fix it and forget it.

I've strayed away from rice and pasta because that's something I could easily overdo.

Start searching recipes without a ton of ingredients or difficult instructions. Choose simple foods you like. It does NOT have to be tedious, time consuming or difficult. Food keeps us alive; it's a fuel. We shouldn't consider it the 'end all to be all' KWIM? UNLESS a person enjoys the cooking process. :)

I remember even making my own bread, homemade donuts and baked beans. :/ Not anymore.