Just venting and seeking if others are feeling the same...

Options
2»

Replies

• LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    FYI just to update you all (I couldn't find this post to respond or read...) I fired my trainer, got a new one and have dropped an inch in the past month!! He has more experience, more knowledge to address problem areas (I have many) and really works with me to get through!! I liked his training much better I signed up an additional day!! Whoot whoot!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    mine is only half as loose as it was in 2011. tightening faster than i thought it would.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The unfortunate side effect of a large weight loss is going to be excess skin. You can wait it out a year for some retraction to happen, but it will depend on age, genetics and length of time one was overweight/obese.
    There are no exercises, diets, stretches, creams, linaments, etc. that can reduce it. The actual choices will be learning how to live with it, or go under the knife to have it removed. And there's no shame in that because physically there's nothing you can do to reduce it.

This. Your skin might tighten up and it might not. Mine has made improvement, but I still have loose skin.

Beyond that I feel better without the excess weight. Sure the skin isn't pretty, but I feel amazing and I look much better. Don't let the worry about loose skin get you down. Keep losing and focus on health.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    When I get to where I am going I am having the surgery and going to wear the scars proudly. I would rather have them to be were I was before losing the extra weight.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If it frustrates you so much, get to your goal weight and have the excess skin snipped off if you can afford it.

This is exactly what I'm going to do. (I put on almost 100 pounds during pregnancy)

They put that *kitten* on layaway now. I've even heard of a doctor in Orlando who has a "Mommy Makeover": a tummy tuck/breast augmentation/liposuction procedure based on your problem areas and what you want your end result to be. My thought process is, if you aren't happy with yourself, what's the point? And there's only so much that nature can do. Then, science takes over.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For me (and in my life I have weighed close to 290), it took about a year for the skin to catch up to the skinny. I do cardio the incorporates arm movement like running and the elliptical and that really helped.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nature invented science - so plastic surgery is okay and some insurances will cover it :heart:
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty bothered by the excessive skin dangling from my arms and my stomach. I had an ex, who was absuive, tell me many times I will NEVER be able to lose the weight. When I dumped him, I told him I was losing the dead weight because of him.

Anyways, I know that exercise will help but I don't think it would in its entirety. I started my weight loss journey at 270lbs wearing a size 26, this after having 4 babies so there's a whole lotta skin stretching happening here. I'm at a loss for words when my trainer (who is this cute young bubbly body builder) says, "yeah that won't go away fully, just have it removed!!" like it's and I am a lost cause. I just find myself bawling over this repeatedly because to me, it feels like an easy out, a failure to my efforts. Its so hard to have gotten where I am and yet it's so hard to just continue if all I had to do was just "have it removed" like a Kardashian. Does anyone else go through this or am I the only one who is feeling so completely hopeless??!?!
    The unfortunate side effect of a large weight loss is going to be excess skin. You can wait it out a year for some retraction to happen, but it will depend on age, genetics and length of time one was overweight/obese.
    There are no exercises, diets, stretches, creams, linaments, etc. that can reduce it. The actual choices will be learning how to live with it, or go under the knife to have it removed. And there's no shame in that because physically there's nothing you can do to reduce it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^^
    This. I knew when I started losing weight, that an end result would likely be excess skin. I tell myself every day that I would rather have the skin than the fat. Try not to be upset about it too much. It just shows how much you have lost.