JUST FOR TODAY -- Daily Commitment Thread for 2021

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,185 Member
    edited March 2021
    JFt, Wed, March 9

1. log all food :)
    2. concentrate on water .. 8+ glasses water RED CUP CHALLENGE FOR THE REST OF FEBRUARY AND MARCH :)
    3. only 1 diet coke :/
    4. mindful eating :/
    5 fruits and veggies :/
    6. remember my why .... to look better in my clothes, to have more confidence .. to wear nice clothe, to have more energy, to not dread going someplace because of having nothing nice to wear that I feel good in. :/
    7. go for a walk :)
    8. Plan the entire days food in the morning -- stick to it! :)
    9. Personal Challenge: 5 minute rule for nitetime snacking .. when I have the urge to grab a snack, set a timer, WAIT 5 MINUTES. Distract myself, but I have to wait 5 minutes before eating anything. :/

So far today I did ok, until the last hour! we finished dinner at 6, so between 6:30 and now, 8pm, I have already had a piece of string cheese, a apple, 2 orange sherbet individual ice cream cups, some walnut and raisins mixed.. and I still feel hungry... and it is only 8pm!!

I don't know why I do this. I do great all day, and I tell my hubby maybe I don't eat "enough" during the day that I am hungry at nite. But he tells me no, it is just a habit I have. I know he is right! I'm really not hungry. I am just in a habit of continually grazing.. carrying food into my office while I sew.

So for the rest of this month, I am keeping it simple .. to just 2 goals.

Feb/March DAILY RED CUP CHALLENGE (8 x 8oz water)
    Feb:💧💧💧💧💧
    March:💧💧💧💧💧 💧💧💧💧

JFT, Thurs, mar 10
    1. NO nite time snacking -- and I mean NOTHING. The kitchen is CLOSED at 8pm. I will brush my teeth, and only drink water. I had enough food all day ... I don't need more food! And IF I have a day where I plan a snack ... eat only in the kitchen. My office is now off limits to any food!!
    Distractions: Get on MFP and post; go for a walk; read success stories; sit in patio room with ipad and listen to Podcasts: email some friends; go downstairs and listen to music with hubby .. away from the kitchen.
    2. Red Cup Challenge --- 8+ c water

Committing to 21 days of no snacking in the evening!

Thats it. If I can do these 2 things I know I can get the scale moving. I do great with my 3 meals...I eat what I have planned most days. And I do great with exercise, especially during the summer months when I not only walk more, but work in the yard.

But what I don't do so good at is nite time snacking. And this is where I can easily add on 500-1000 extra calories. Calories that do nothing for me. So for the next month, I am doing what @Wellingtx is doing .. keeping it simple.

• mytime6630
    edited March 2021
    @Bex953172 - you crack me up! Thats a funny thing you did to Ash! Glad you are feeling better, and our funny Bex is back! Loved the childrens stories ... don't they make life fun! Especially when they start the tattletelling!

@WellingTX - great job with getting back on track, and 2 days down! I am copying your way ... I think we both have the same problem with the nite time snacking. It gets me everyday. Proud of you.. here's to day 3 for you!

@jeschepp - I am SO happy you get to see your grandparents! I bet they are over the moon with excitement! We have not seen our grandchildren since December 2019. I can't wait until we can go see them, and give them the biggest hug. Enjoy the time with your grandparents .. these are the things we all miss the most!

@PackerFanInGB - great job with the no snacking!!! This is my hardest time also , and the only thing that is keeping me from losing weight. You've got this girl!! Great job!!!!!

@cschmitz110515 - hope your adjusting to your new "eyes". My friend had both the same thing.. she was used to wearing glasses all the time, now she only needs reading glasses. She's still not used to it, having to have to wear glasses her entire life. I hope you heal quickly.
  • jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Tough day today. It started out okay, I didn't even mind the constant rain (melt that snow!), but I just had a series of minor stressors and then at the end of the day got a message from my landlord saying I need to take my bird feeders down as the birds are apparently damaging the heating system. I suspected this was coming but it was really hard to hear the confirmation. I have gotten so much joy out of watching the birds and figuring out which ones they are. Maybe silly, but it really kept me positive many days. I know I'll be okay, but just had one too many tough moments today and I ended up feeling really crummy. I gave one of my clients a prescription today to channel her inner Scarlett O'Hara, and use the mantra "tomorrow is another day," so I'm taking my own advice. I talked to my grandpa today about when I could come over the visit (likely end of April) and I could just hear the joy in his voice. Holding that moment close.

JFT Wednesday:
    80 oz water ✅
    stay in the green ✅
    meet all serving recommendations for 5 food groups ✅
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    screens off 8:30 ✅
    track food, exercise, water and post on JFT ✅

JFT Thursday:
    80 oz water
    stay in the green
    meet all serving recommendations for 5 food groups
    30 minutes exercise
    screens off 8:30
    track food, exercise, water and post on JFT

@PackerFanInGB WOO HOO! I know how hard that has been for you, you should be so proud of yourself!
    @clicketykeys Oof that sounds like no fun. Way to stay strong!
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,057 Member
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    @cschmitz110515 - hope your adjusting to your new "eyes". My friend had both the same thing.. she was used to wearing glasses all the time, now she only needs reading glasses. She's still not used to it, having to have to wear glasses her entire life. I hope you heal quickly.

I recently got contact lenses, and I still push phantom glasses up my nose lol.
    I know it's completely different because you've had surgery but I hope they do heal soon. I also think it was very brave to get the surgery, I get so squeamish around eyes.
  • beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 960 Member
    Well, apparently my immune system is working, based on the intensity of the vaccine side effects I had yesterday. I did manage to teach all my classes - thankfully online - but I slept away most of the remaining hours. No goals today, but I'm feeling much better, except for a dull headache. My son in NC, whom I haven't seen in more than a year, got his first shot yesterday. We were both pretty emotional about the thought of getting to see and hug our loved ones again. The side effects were totally worth it.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    JFT 3/10/2021
    1) Fast until noon :/
    2) Water challenge (8 glasses of water) :/
    3) Log all my food for the day :/
    4) Go for a walk :/
    5) No Diet Coke :/
    6) Stop snacking by 8pm :/

WELL! At least I was consistently bad yesterday! LOL

I already know I'm not in the headspace to do well on my usual goals today, so my only goals are to get outside and enjoy the warm weather and be kind to myself.

@mytime6630 I love that! Since I work from home, my online friends are very important to me and generally the ones I speak with the most. <3
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,057 Member
    sarah74_vt wrote: »
    I have to share some good news. My younger son (at 16 yrs old...he's 17 now) started having seizures in August 2019. He had every test under the sun and we never found out a cause for them, but with the right med, he's been seizure free for a little over a year now. <3 When they started, he had been learning to drive and LOVED driving...he of course had to stop at that time which was such a bummer to him. Today we just got the letter from the DMV saying his Permit has been reinstated and he can drive again!!! I'm so happy for him I could cry! He's been such a good sport about the whole thing and so accepting of all the bumps along the way...he deserves this so much. :)<3

That must have been so scary to see, but I'm glad you found the right medicatjon which is helping him live a normal life! That's wonderful news.
    Did you still never find the cause though? I think that would drive me mad!

How old are you able to start to drive over there? Over here I think you have to be 17 to even start lessons. I might be mistaken but I'm sure it's 17.
  • sarah74_vt
    sarah74_vt Posts: 368 Member
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    sarah74_vt wrote: »
    I have to share some good news. My younger son (at 16 yrs old...he's 17 now) started having seizures in August 2019. He had every test under the sun and we never found out a cause for them, but with the right med, he's been seizure free for a little over a year now. <3 When they started, he had been learning to drive and LOVED driving...he of course had to stop at that time which was such a bummer to him. Today we just got the letter from the DMV saying his Permit has been reinstated and he can drive again!!! I'm so happy for him I could cry! He's been such a good sport about the whole thing and so accepting of all the bumps along the way...he deserves this so much. :)<3

That must have been so scary to see, but I'm glad you found the right medicatjon which is helping him live a normal life! That's wonderful news.
    Did you still never find the cause though? I think that would drive me mad!

How old are you able to start to drive over there? Over here I think you have to be 17 to even start lessons. I might be mistaken but I'm sure it's 17.

It was SO scary! To this day, if my husband and I hear a loud noise in the house we go check on him. We still have no idea why the seizures started. His neurologist said that we'd be surprised how many people have had seizures with no known cause. It does bug me not to know, but we do know it's not due to a brain tumor or anything like that...every test came back good, so he's healthy as can be other than having to be on seizure med.

Here the kids can get their driver's permit at 15 (can only drive with an adult 25 or older). If they take Drivers Ed, they can get their Jr Driver's License at 16 (can drive on their own with limitations). Without Drivers Ed, they can get their License at 18.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,327 Member
    Just For Wednesday, 3/10
    1. Drink 64 oz water - 2 Qt pitcher is full & on my counter in plain sight! :)
    2. Intentional activity (non-impact) either 30 minutes at one time or 15 minutes x2 :#
    3. Log food :)
    4. Complete a No BS module and/or vision board video :)
    5. 24H Plan and Assess. :smile: Done
    6. Journal :smile: Done
    7. 15 minutes self-care :)Spent time sewing and listening to podcasts.
    8. 15 minutes of self-improvement/research :)
    9. Be kind and patient today. Count to 10 before growling at someone. Don't be such a B. :)Laughed a lot today. Was a good day!
    10. Finish table topper, find documents for 2020 taxes. :)Progress made.
    11. Close kitchen at 7 PM ;)No, but I was actually hungry from not eating enough supper so I paid attention to hunger signals. Ate just enough to be satisfied, not "full".

Hi all! Had a good day yesterday food-wise and just in general. Low key and no stress. Today I get to go to the hair salon and cover the grays. That's always a good relaxing self-care day. Don't have time to reply to everyone right now, but I'll hop back on later!

Have a great day everyone!

Just For Wednesday, 3/11
    1. Drink 64 oz water - 2 Qt pitcher is full & on my counter in plain sight!
    2. Intentional activity (non-impact) either 30 minutes at one time or 15 minutes x2
    3. Log food
    4. Complete a No BS module and/or vision board video
    5. 24H Plan and Assess. :smile: Done
    6. Journal
    7. 15 minutes self-care
    8. 15 minutes of self-improvement/research
    9. Be kind and patient today. Count to 10 before growling at someone. Don't be such a B.
    10. Finish table topper; find documents for 2020 taxes; run to JoAnn's for fabric to finish table topper.
    11. Close kitchen at 7 PM

My 5 Why's:
    1. Clothing: Waist of clothes too tight and uncomfortable. T-shirts vs tunics. Jeans vs leggings.
    2. Flexibility: Tie my shoes easier, self pedicures, getting up from floor
    3. Longevity: Cardiac health and strength, Lower Glucose, Prevent disease recurrence.
    4. Strength/Fitness: I want to walk a 5k in 2021. I want to be able to hike in nature.
    5. Photos: I want to be able to let people take photos of me without being embarrassed and self loathing.

Today, I am grateful for:
    1. Following my hunger signals yesterday! Yay!
    2. Snow is gone!
    3. It's Hair Salon day! I get to make my hair color match again!

What is one small change I can make today to help with my weight loss?  
    (1) I will measure 1 serving ofnoodles for my chili tonight and not take seconds unless still actually hungry. (2) No crackers with my chili unless I forgo noodles,

WOTY 2021: Consistency
    I am losing weight and getting fit because my future self deserves it!

• mytime6630
    Super busy day today helping hubby. But I was searching through old emails to find something, and saw where I had saved this:

Binge Eating
    Short term gains:

If I binge eat right now...
    - I will stop obsessing about that piece of food.
    - I can stop feeling stressed and start to relax a bit.
    - I can give myself some time out.
    - I can enjoy the food in my mouth.

Long term consequences:

If I binge eat....

- I will feel bloated and uncomfortable.
    - I will feel sluggish for hours afterward.
    - I will get indigestion and acid.
    - I will get awful headaches.
    - I won't sleep well.
    - I will put on more weight.
    - I will be angry with myself.
    - I will be scared at the damage I've done to my body.
    - I will feel like a failure.
    - I won't feel like seeing friends or going to work or exercising.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,468 Member
    Hi my JFTers! Not posting goals today but I wanted to share a couple of wins from my two days of cataract & refractive eye surgery this week:

I have always been very scared of eye surgery in the past. First surgery, I was very nervous but the medical staff was fantastic at keeping me calm. So calm my b.p. was 118/69 = ideal. Yay! One of the nurses confirming my health info said I'm in terrific health. I'm not at goal weight so this is definitely a WIN! Recovery went well and I was not so nervous about the second eye surgery.

This morning I had my second surgery, to remove the other cataract and correct my vision. Much less anxious than the first surgery four days ago, and b.p. was 124/67. After eye drops were administered, I practiced my meditative breathing. Pre-surgery & mildly sedated, the health monitor I was wearing started beeping and a nurse checked. I told her I wasn't dead and she replied, no, my oxygen level was 100% so I wasn't dead. My heart rate had fallen to 49. I knew my resting HR per Fitbit was 56 or 57 but didn't know HR could go that low.

Guess my fitness is paying off. :smiley:

Now I am adjusting to wearing "cheaters" only when reading or seeing something close. Next Thurs. I see my regular optometrist for a full post-op exam and to order reading glasses. Quite a change for someone who wore glasses or contacts for 50 years!

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone! Hope you have a great rest of your day!!! <3
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    JFT Friday
    1. 1 set of lifts. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Post class plan right away on screen AND on site.
    2. Staff meeting
    3. Department meeting.
    4. FANFIC? Lunges. Review videos to create transcripts. GRADE LATE WORK. Writing script.
    5. Lunch: Tortillas. Read 20 pages Diana.
    6. Afternoon: Philosophy of ed. Run after school?
    7. Evening: S&F 4. Dinner: Bibimbap? Breathe. Set 2 of lifts. Book talk.
    8. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water! Chop celery and pack lunch. Set out clothes for tomorrow. Set up JFT for tomorrow.
    9. Shower. Review papers by desk. File or trash.
    10. Gratitude journal. Therapy exercises: crunches, push-ups, squats, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth. Wed book group. MH Monday check-in; Tough Question Tuesday; Whatever Wednesday AMA; Thankful Thursday. Indochino suit fitting - Atlanta or Nashville?

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    End of 2019: 196.4
    End of 2020: 187.4
    End of January: 189.8
    End of February: 190.0
    Today: 189.2

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for On Writing (Stephen King), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie), Hood Feminism (Mikki Kendall).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Write 1 reflection weekly; type one in Classroom by Weds. Copy-paste to discussion board for comments due Friday. Homework: Online journal Mon due Tue; Reflection Tue due Wed; C&P journal in class Wed; Comments Thu due Fri. Bonus if you are the first response; further bonus if you respond to comments on your post. Grammar practice Mon & Wed; quiz Fri. Unit plan for research (Idea for regular: comparing same story on sites with different biases).
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week - Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals.
    6. Medical: Dentist call to schedule cleaning – March? ObG schedule for April. Schedule PCP for May.
    7. Theater: Little Princess.
    8. House: Siding. Or perhaps bathroom floor.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away. Edney Hack Nights alt Weds. ASL? Spanish/Portuguese practice? Practice piano. ROL Secret Adversary. Buy bike rack for car.
    10. Volunteering ideas: Theater. Library. Animal shelter. Community Kitchen. Emerge Georgia training.
    11. Family: Book group. Dinners?
    12. Writing: Blog post: Running, Racism and Rum: Learning to Handle Discomfort. Fanfic: Create a scene list for the Batgirl story. Finish the cafe scene for the Titans story. Open Wordpress in Safari.
    13. Lifting: 15 squats, 15 deadlifts, 10 shoulder presses, 15 arm raises, 15 pushups, 30 crunches, 15 side lifts, 15 back kicks, horse stance for 5 breaths.
    14. Other: Practice hair braiding with D. Check on appts for drs. Remind D to ask his dad about the table and check with home repair contractors. 3 posts/week? Create test for MLA format. Create test for infographics and visual information. Remember that M does not like surprises! Check dates of classes and update semester plan. She Should Run vision statement. Update standards on board. When to change bulletin board?

WFTY: Persistence. Tomorrow is vaccination day. Fingers crossed.
    Reminder: Last year's WFTY was progress, and I am ... actually, I was going to say content, but it's more than that. I'm proud of myself, and I'm pleased with the progress that I made. Even without the challenges throughout the year, I accomplished things that I should be proud of; and given those challenges, I'm even happier about what I was able to do.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    JFT - Tuesday Mar 9
    Scale 197.4
    1.5L of water - :/
    Log all food - :)

JFT - Wednesday Mar 10
    Scale 197.6
    1.5L of water
    Log all food

It’s even later today than yesterday but at least I’m still doing it.
    Yesterday was a high calorie day and it showed on the scale this morning. It’s such a delicate balance. I wish I could just under-eat for a day and lose as much as I gain when I go over.

I’ll come read later
  • WellingTX
    WellingTX Posts: 617 Member
    For Thursday

-Work out for 90 minutes: 90 minutes
    -1900 calories: 1559. Day three down

For Friday

-Work out for 90 minutes:
    -1999 calories:

• jeschepp
    jeschepp Posts: 307 Member
    Today was a better day. I knew it would be, it's just hard to remember that when you're in the funk. I went out for a walk and got in a few running intervals, up to 3 minutes total running! For me that is a big win. I can definitely feel my stamina for exercise is up. One of my goals is to make it up all four flights of stairs without feeling like I'm dying. Right now I can usually do 2.5. Two of my clients today (I'm a therapist) had very tough weeks. I am glad to be a support for others during these times, but those sessions are pretty exhausting. My last two clients had major steps forwards with progress and man I needed that. It was wonderful to see the changes they're making and the impact, and to be able to celebrate the wins. Happy (nearly) weekend all!

JFT Thursday:
    80 oz water ✅
    stay in the green ✅
    meet all serving recommendations for 5 food groups ✅
    30 minutes exercise ✅
    screens off 8:30 ✅
    track food, exercise, water and post on JFT ✅

JFT Friday:
    80 oz water
    stay in the green
    meet all serving recommendations for 5 food groups
    30 minutes exercise
    screens off 8:30
    track food, exercise, water and post on JFT

@mytime6630 Thank you for the wonderful words about friendship! Sending you a virtual hug of appreciation. Also your discussion on mindset was so thoughtful. So much of this is mental. I have saved your paragraph because I know I’ll need to read it again.
    @beachwalker99 Hope you’re feeling better soon. gooooo antibodies!
    @sarah74_vt what great news! At least he was barred during the year no one could go anywhere! He’ll have more use for it this year.
    @clicketykeys let us know how it goes!