Help! Need fitness advice!

Options
Hello! I've been following a ketogenic diet since late August and have lost over 40 pounds. Haven't stuck to any fitness plan so far, only a little dancing here and there, but I'm really interested in body recomposition. I have 60+ pounds to go before I get down to what I guess is my goal eight, but really I just want to look a certain way in the end and gain some strength. I've done a lot of cardio in the past and I'm trying to not make that my go to again.

I am a pretty busy mom of three with a full time job during the work week, and tons of kids activities so I'm only able to get to the gym 2 days a week for one hour each day. It needs to be the gym and not home or else I know I will never get the peace to actually work out. So here is the question. What exercises should I do on these two days? I plan to take walks the other days of the week starting in January, but want to have a set plan in there gym instead of walking around wondering what I should work on. It's a planet fitness so all the normal machines..... don't really have experience with free weights but I can try to be brave XD

Thanks for any and all help!
Happy new years eve!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I really liked doing a workout based on strong lifts 5x5, but modified to 2 days/wk (strong lifts is 3 days). Each workout took me approximately 45 min. Squats, bench press, over head press, bent rows (all done 5 reps, 5 sets) and deadlifts 1 set of 5 reps. Start with the empty bar and progress the weights each workout(or weekly). The program itself calls for 5lb increases, but sometimes 2.5lb is better, especially for ohp. This worked FOR ME, and may not be what's best for everyone. I also modified it based on my own preferences, adding in split squats, pullups, and more sets of deads. You can look up strong lifts online and read the actual program. There are many other programs to consider, but this is one that I liked.
  • blwhitfield22101
    blwhitfield22101 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! That sounds like a great plan!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just realized I made a mistake on the weight increases... It would be 10lb(I was thinking 5lb plates each side) or 5lb total increase(with the 2.5lb plates on each side). Hope that makes sense!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I don’t know about PF but at the Y we have machines for the following that would be a good starting point: Row, fly, chest press, leg press, torso rotation, glute kickback, bicep, tricep. 3 sets of 5-12 reps each, depending on how heavy you want to go. Keep the weight challenging but doable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,090 Member
    Options
    Have you read the Recomp thread? Lots of good info there, and a place to ask questions of folks who've been pursuing the same goal.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat