Is it normal to believe the person you are in love with is the most attractive person in the world?

Options
2»

Replies

• woollenmonarch
    woollenmonarch Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    If this were true, men and women won’t have affairs.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I mean, that might be your normal (and that's fine!), but it's not everyone's normal.

For reference, I've been married for nearly 14 years and don't feel that way about my husband, although I might have in the beginning (again, normal). Do I still find him attractive? Yep.

But I can concede that there are more attractive dudes out there. But just because those more attractive people exist doesn't mean I have any desire to venture elsewhere or kick my spouse to the curb, lol.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Love at first sight
    Love is blind
    Yes, I believe it can be normal if you feel that way. One person in my life had me feeling that way; he was my absolute best friend for almost 10 years; I could tell him anything when nobody else gave a minute to listen; and he was nice to look at, comfortable arms to be in, had a wonderful smile. But it can be a dangerous thing as well. If you get to the point of 'they can do no wrong' but then they do, it hurts even deeper.
    Always treat blind love with caution and a protected heart.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    There's no two ways about it: by spouse is one goofy looking guy- tall and thin with a slightly irregular gait, long skinny arms like a car lot air dancer, and somewhat flattened face like a persian cat except for a nose slightly too big for his other features.

But when we've separated a crowd or even in the grocery store for just a few minutes I turn around and see him again, my eyes dilate, and every other person in the room disappears into a cheesy vaseline-on-a-camera blur, and he's the most handsome man on the planet (and has been for the 35 years my eyes have been dialating for him) :-)

Aaww. This. To find this again
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I think my husband is an objectively handsome man but we’ve gone through some good times and bad and my attraction to him depends on how things are going. If he’s bein a jerk about something, no attraction.

But when things are consistently good as they have been for a few years now and that man smiles at me, it lights me up. It’s the most beautiful thing, that warm smiling face.

And I understand the whole across the room thing someone else mentioned. If I’m in a crowded place looking for him, seeing his face feels like home. Some people get bored of their partner it seems, but the more familiar he becomes to me over time, the more I cherish that familiarity.