New and Confused

Options
Ginitea
Ginitea Posts: 4 Member
Hi there,
I started seriously working out at the beginning of the year with no dietary changes. I have been consistently doing HIIT routines and have recently for the past couple of weeks been incorporating weight training. I’ve been building muscle but I’m not sure how to “cut” or reduce body fat percentage while maintaining muscle mass. I’m what people would describe as “skinny fat” I’m 5’1 and around 111lb. I’m wondering how to start leaning out and if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. I love the app so far and I originally installed it to track calories but it’s really nice to see there’s a friendly community. :)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

You are trying to lose fat weight.

You have to eat less than you burn by a reasonable amount.
    Make it unreasonable, and you'll lose muscle too.

If you are already at a healthy weight, just not the look you'd like - you can do what is called body recomp.

You'll eat at maintenance, not gain or lose weight.
    Your body will use the food you eat to build more muscle from doing a progress strength training program (so called HIIT programs will stop being useful pretty quick).
    The body make up for daily living calorie needs from stored fat.

Fat will go down, muscle will go up.
    Weight will stay the same.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    To add to what @HeyBales mentioned about recomp, there is a thread in the maintenance forum.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,500 Member
    Options
    This might help you visualize it more:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

I started weights two years ago. I’m a casual lifter, not hard core like a lot of folks here, and only go two or three times a week, but I was utterly surprised to find I really enjoy it. It’s sobering to press a pair of 25 pound dumbbells over your chest and realize,”OMG, I’ve lost nearly twice this. How the **** was I even walking?”
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,500 Member
    Options
    Also.... consider power walking. I started doing it after several bad falls running, which I didn’t take up til a year or so ago.

My trainer showed me the basic technique and warned me it would thin me out more than running, and she’s been a long distance runner since the early 70’s, (aka “when it wasn’t cool”, according to her).

It has definitely done just that.

If weights don’t appeal, mat Pilates: good for core, lots of hip work in side series and glutes in bridge work. There’s lots of classes online. My local yoga studio offers live zoom Pilates classes and also maintains an on-demand video library, as do a lot of other studios, if you’re hesitant to do a live class right now.