Protein supplement options? or Help, protein power makes me sick

Options
Firstly... I confess. My diet is not the best. I try to hit a 30% protein, 40% fat, 30% carbs target, but invariably miss. I'm almost always under in protein.

I have tried on a number of occasions to supplement my protein with various brands of protein shakes, but for the most part I end up getting sick in one of three ways...

1) aftertaste that permeates everything I eat and smell, all day long. All I can taste is the aftertaste of the powder. (I get a similar thing with aspartame or synthetic sweeteners).

2) upper gut ache... within 2-7 days of regular use, I feel sick to my stomach. All the time. I feel nauseous and super full.. don't want to eat, or drink because I feel like there is no room in my stomach.

3) if the first two don't get me, then lower intestinal issues happen within a week. Regularity is impacted, cramping, bloating, and lower back pain.

I have tried Whey powder and that is out. Whey isolate has been ok a couple times, but the last one I got is NO BUENO. Ditto for every protein bar I've tried.

So... question is this...
What other types of protein options are out there?
Is there anyone out there who has experienced similar discomforts and found one that DOES work?

note... I'm not celiac (my dad is), but am gluten sensitive. I am also lactose sensitive.
second note... I have gone to a doc for some scoping to see if there are larger issues at play, still TBD

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    There are plant-based and egg protein powders. Maybe try making a smoothie with fruit or whatever you like, and then adding a scoop of protein powder to it as opposed to just having it with water or milk. Or maybe some low-carb protein pancakes. I would say avoid pea protein as it has a very strong after taste, imo.

Edit: Do you eat meat and egg (whites)? I feel like your targets shouldn't be too difficult to achieve if you do. Textured Vegetable Protein is also more protein than carbs, so might help. Protein powders aren't necessary.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yes, I also was going to suggest trying non whey based powders, and also trying unflavored/sweetened ones, in case the sweetener is the issue.

Also, is there a way to just increase your portions of higher protein foods and not use the protein supplements at all? That seems like an easier option.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,568 Member
    Options
    There are plant-based and egg protein powders. Maybe try making a smoothie with fruit or whatever you like, and then adding a scoop of protein powder to it as opposed to just having it with water or milk. Or maybe some low-carb protein pancakes. I would say avoid pea protein as it has a very strong after taste, imo.

Edit: Do you eat meat and egg (whites)? I feel like your targets shouldn't be too difficult to achieve if you do. Textured Vegetable Protein is also more protein than carbs, so might help. Protein powders aren't necessary.

I do eat meat, and egg... but do not eat a lot of it. I can easily polish off a plate of perogies, but a slab of chicken... it's a challenge. I do not enjoy cooking at all, and it shows. Plus with the picky kids and their favorite meals... I used to just eat whatever.

Now that I'm lifting and watching what I'm eating, I find that it's rather depressing seeing what I've been putting into my body, and how I expect it to be a lean lifting machine, when I try to fuel it on gummy bears and coffee. (ok, it's not quite that bad).

I was looking for the lazy supplement option, but given how sick I feel, I guess it's not an option after all.
    Unless the plant based / egg based ones work. I'll look into those!

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yes, I also was going to suggest trying non whey based powders, and also trying unflavored/sweetened ones, in case the sweetener is the issue.

Also, is there a way to just increase your portions of higher protein foods and not use the protein supplements at all? That seems like an easier option.

as silly as it sounds, I never thought to tie the intolerance to sweetener to the aftertaste in protein powder, so you could be on to something there, too!

Thank you both!!
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    What products have you tried? Where are you getting your powders?

I've had yuck stuff from ones I've bought at the grocery store/health store, but I've been using the 1Phorm products for a while and have found them pretty superior to others I've tried (no, I've not tried them all lol). They also have a vegan one if the whey isolate bothers you, but I have a feeling it might be the types you've tried (protein is NOT all equal "protein," especially in supplement form).

Check out their post workout stack - might be a couple things going on causing the yuck feelings you're having.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I've lost track... I've tried about 4 different brands from the supplement store, and two from the regular grocery store over the past few years. Thankfully the supplement store let me return two of them because I got so sick, and my dad took one of the gluten free ones off me.

Otherwise I spend $40-70 to throw 70% of it in the trash. 😳

I will look at the 1phorm site and see what it says.

(Though, I just got a huge bill in the email twenty mins ago, so now all nonessential purchases are probably on hold, anyways. Sigh)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    So, not knowing what your calorie level is, what is that protein goal in grams? How close are you coming?
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited January 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    So, not knowing what your calorie level is, what is that protein goal in grams? How close are you coming?

My goal is around 1800 cals a day (plus exercise).
    I'm averaging anywhere from 60 - 110g of protein, with most days hitting around the 80g mark.

I am also 6'1 and weigh 183 with about 24.6% body fat
    (According to fitbit, my LBM is about 137.9)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    I assume you've checked this out, since you've been here for a while:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Like Lemur, I'm wondering about the food side of it (and I have a pretty strong personal prejudice toward getting nutrients from food when possible). I'm close to the same calorie level (1850+exercise for slow loss right now), but smaller, so I'm only shooting for 100g. Also eating vegetarian, so what I eat and what you'd eat don't have huge overlap.

The main thing that helps me is seeking foods in most categories that bring at least a little protein, rather than exclusively focusing on that "one big protein per meal" thing.

But 80's over the US DRI for you (67g per their calculator**), and if DVDGzz**** made gains the gains he did on around 90g eating kind of horrifyingly, that's not maybe as bad a level as some believe. He's shorter than you, I believe, but, um, developed some mass eating well below the usual gainz recommendations.

Honest admission: I'm not sure why I dived in here, as I don't think I can be helpful. I never use protein powder, so I don't get sick on it, don't know the brands, etc. All I've got is tactics for getting more protein without eating meat, not too applicable for you. 😐 Apologies.

Good luck with it, though.

** https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dri-calculator/
    **** Guy who used to post here, had a great thread about CICO that sadly got deleted; he has some food log data under a different user ID at https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961&p=822484731#post822484731 . His before pictures here do not look like the photos there, at all.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Can you eat yogurt? I'm lactose intolerant but yogurt is okay since the cultures break down the lactose (or, at least, enough of it). But I know some people can't even handle that.

I make morning smoothies with both Fage Greek nonfat yogurt and Garden of Life unflavored and unsweetened protein powder. I use a half scoop of the protein powder or else the texture bothers me. Another option is to add Fairlife milk, which is lactose free.

I also eat Seapoint dried edamame often as a salty snack.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I assume you've checked this out, since you've been here for a while:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Like Lemur, I'm wondering about the food side of it (and I have a pretty strong personal prejudice toward getting nutrients from food when possible). I'm close to the same calorie level (1850+exercise for slow loss right now), but smaller, so I'm only shooting for 100g. Also eating vegetarian, so what I eat and what you'd eat don't have huge overlap.

The main thing that helps me is seeking foods in most categories that bring at least a little protein, rather than exclusively focusing on that "one big protein per meal" thing.

But 80's over the US DRI for you (67g per their calculator**), and if DVDGzz**** made gains the gains he did on around 90g eating kind of horrifyingly, that's not maybe as bad a level as some believe. He's shorter than you, I believe, but, um, developed some mass eating well below the usual gainz recommendations.

Honest admission: I'm not sure why I dived in here, as I don't think I can be helpful. I never use protein powder, so I don't get sick on it, don't know the brands, etc. All I've got is tactics for getting more protein without eating meat, not too applicable for you. 😐 Apologies.

Good luck with it, though.

** https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/dri-calculator/
    **** Guy who used to post here, had a great thread about CICO that sadly got deleted; he has some food log data under a different user ID at https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961&p=822484731#post822484731 . His before pictures here do not look like the photos there, at all.

It's been a while since I browsed the threads, so I'll take a look. I think food may be my only option, really, so I do appreciate your input. Thank you for these links and the info!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Can you eat yogurt? I'm lactose intolerant but yogurt is okay since the cultures break down the lactose (or, at least, enough of it). But I know some people can't even handle that.

I make morning smoothies with both Fage Greek nonfat yogurt and Garden of Life unflavored and unsweetened protein powder. I use a half scoop of the protein powder or else the texture bothers me. Another option is to add Fairlife milk, which is lactose free.

I can eat regular yogurt but Greek gives me a reaction. (itchy throat, raspy voice). I do add cottage cheese. We use Natrel or Lactantia lactose free milk... So maybe it won't bother me if I have it in something.

I guess I'm just already tired of food. I get hungry, look in the fridge and cupboards. Look at the calorie cost and contents, and then just walk away. I think I have some emotional and mental responses to food I need to work through.

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy eating. But now that I'm logging, i am faced with making conscious choices, and I just don't want to. Lol
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options

I can eat regular yogurt but Greek gives me a reaction. (itchy throat, raspy voice). I do add cottage cheese. We use Natrel or Lactantia lactose free milk... So maybe it won't bother me if I have it in something.

I guess I'm just already tired of food. I get hungry, look in the fridge and cupboards. Look at the calorie cost and contents, and then just walk away. I think I have some emotional and mental responses to food I need to work through.

Don't get me wrong.. I enjoy eating. But now that I'm logging, i am faced with making conscious choices, and I just don't want to. Lol

I don't know your reason for those specific macros, but changing them if you're willing to may help with making those conscious choices less daunting. A little higher carb would help with hitting your protein goal in grams as you could have things like beans, lentils, and chickpea and lentil pastas.