New Guy! Weight Loss While Injured

Options
Hi Everyone,

I made this account years ago but never actually used it! However, that is changing as of today! I am hoping to find likeminded people on here who want to connect and keep each other accountable! I am in Tulsa, Oklahoma!

I made some goals at the start of this year and so far they are off to an excellent start!

1.) No pop (except Friday at dinner)
2.) No fried food (except Friday at dinner)
3.) No sweets (unless it's at a family member's birthday)
4.) Intermitted fasting (non-fasting window from 12PM-8PM)

Start Date: 01/01/2021
Starting Weight: 225 Pounds
Goal Date: 04/01/2021
Goal Weight: 205 or less

I am currently in physical therapy for a shoulder injury. Doctor thinks I might have a slight tear on my labrum and complications on my AC joint. The physical therapist is hopeful that we can fix the AC joint with a non surgical route. However, the labrum will eventually need surgery.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Welcome (back?) to MFP!

Fortunately - as you know - just getting things at the right calorie level on the eating side should take care of the weight goal. With only 20 pounds to lose, alongside a need to heal an injury, slow and steady would be a good plan, IMO. Sounds like you're going for around a pound and two-thirds per week, or an 833 calorie daily deficit, approximately?

On the shoulder issue, I can offer a little second-hand encouragement: One of my close friends nursed along a labrum tear for quite a while, using some care (per medical guidance) but staying active (we're rowers, she also does some strength work). When she did finally have the surgery, the outcome after a healing period seems to have been quite good.

Wishing you excellent success, with both the weight loss and the shoulder rehab!
  • jessienani
    jessienani Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Welcome (back?) to MFP!

Fortunately - as you know - just getting things at the right calorie level on the eating side should take care of the weight goal. With only 20 pounds to lose, alongside a need to heal an injury, slow and steady would be a good plan, IMO. Sounds like you're going for around a pound and two-thirds per week, or an 833 calorie daily deficit, approximately?

On the shoulder issue, I can offer a little second-hand encouragement: One of my close friends nursed along a labrum tear for quite a while, using some care (per medical guidance) but staying active (we're rowers, she also does some strength work). When she did finally have the surgery, the outcome after a healing period seems to have been quite good.

Wishing you excellent success, with both the weight loss and the shoulder rehab!

Yeah, caloric deficit will be the game plan. As of right now, the plan is a solid 1,000 calorie reduction. I was eating 3300-3700 calories a day and now I am sitting around 2300 calories a day. Which is wild because that still sounds like SO many calories!

I appreciate your encouragement on the labrum issue. I am happy to hear your friend was able to successfully get that tear worked on and healed up. It's such a scary thought to think something might never be the same as it once was. I am just happy I am still able to do my job! There will definitely be a surgery in my near future!

Thank you very much! I wish you well in your progress towards your goals as well!