Just started January 4,2021 and Need Help. Please

Options
jazzi49
jazzi49 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2021 in Introduce Yourself
Hello all,
Happy 2021 and hope all are safe and healthy.

I just started to learn counting my calories and hoping to see results. Last year, I had a brain injury and it was someone else mistakes. I have been going through a lot and after a year still going to rehab and therapy. Before the accident, I was very active and fit person. I was a runner!
I was running 3 days a week 5k-10k plus 5-6 days other intense workout.

Since my brain injury I have gained 35 pounds because of all meds and not being able to workout or even do simple chores. I started to workout 4 months ago even still can't do it like before or still can't run but I keep doing intense workout 5-6day and walk some days.

I do eat clean and well aware of health and fitness. Unfortunately, this time I can't figure out why I can't lose weight. I have tried everything you named it and even started to see professional nutritionist but did n't help me. They told me things I knew and I have been doing and not losing weight.

Short story, I come to this decision to start counting my calories.

I did calculated and because I sit home and work chose not very active and app shows that I have to take 1200 calories but then again because I workout I was told I have to up my calories to

My question is if anyone can help me:

1. Does the macros matter in my weight lost or just the calorie count?
I have been trying to how to bring fat macros low even eat healthy. I love eggs but has high fat.

2. I am currently 148 pounds and need to get to 125 pounds where I was. Does 1500 calories right amount for me? Am I going to lose?

I have friend that recently using an app to count her calories and by just using the app she lost
15 pounds in two months and does not exercise at all. She was not really big tho.

I do really need help and hoping someone really help me. I am worried that I will be stuck with this body and stay obese which is not healthy.

Sorry, for long story and I really appreciate if anyone can help me.
Thank you and cheers to a great 2021 for everyone around the world.

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I can try to answer a couple of your questions...as far as the macro's go...unless you are using a very specialized type of diet, the macro's really don't matter. It really is just calories in and calories out. If you are using a certain type of diet plan (keto for example) then the macros will matter. I myself just use calories method

Can you lose weight with 1500 calories? That's more subjective. My calories are set at 1500 and I generally eat between 1500 and 1600 and can lose weight.

Below are a couple of past threads that might help you out. One is about how to make sure you are logging accurately for best results. The second is a weight loss "flow chart" that when I feel I'm not losing. I look at and see where I might be falling off the path. They might be of help to you!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10179969/weight-loss-flow-chart-2-0/p1
  • KerrieA87
    KerrieA87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I don’t have a brain injury but I do have a similar experience to yours. Several years ago after the birth of my youngest child (now 8) I used to be ridiculously healthy, worked out constantly had slimmed straight back down to my pre baby weight/body. 8 weeks after she was born my immune system malfunctioned and I went into anaphylaxis for the first time, to exercise of all things. From there I’ve been pumped full of more medications and treatments I care to think of and I have several medical conditions. I am however able to control my weight with diet alone, don’t get me wrong it’s a lot harder than being able to exercise as well, but ultimately it is achievable.

You need a diet that will allow you to feel sustained (if not you’ll quit before you see proper results). If you’re able to do that at 1200cals per day then that’s fine if not and you need 1500cals that’s fine too, it’ll simply determine how quickly you lose the weight, but the overall process won’t be fast.

Accurately weighing and logging foods using digital scales will be beneficial too, it could take some time in the beginning to get used to and although mfp’s food database is extensive not every entry is accurate unfortunately, so try to scan food barcodes where you can.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Calories matter for weight loss, not macros. Macronutrients are carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram, and fats are 9 calories per gram.

Get a food scale, weigh everything in grams, and log it honestly. No skipping, cheating, or forgetting.