Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My best iron "supplement ;)"

ixw2r60fdkyo.jpg

In all seriousness, where do you get your protein? Meat and seafood have the most and is bioavailable.
  • Kaysmile012015
    Kaysmile012015 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    I know that this a medical question, but just wanting to hear others' opinion/thoughts on the matter. I notice that almost every day that I don't come close to hitting my iron intake for the day. I don't eat a lot of the foods that are high in them, except for spinach and other dark leafy greens and a very small amount of nuts. I eat about 110 g of protein a day, but apparently not from sources that have a lot of iron. I've never had my iron tested, but my hemoglobin values are normal. I used to take a multi-vitamin, but stopped because thought I probably didn't need it and trying to give my kidneys a break. Wondering if I should take an iron supplement (even though I know it can be hard on the stomach), esp. as a woman, or even just go back to taking the multi.

Depending on where you live, I think you should be more worried about Vitamin D3

I live in the midwest, so that could be a concern. My previous doctor used to test for it, but it seems my current dr doesn't. My husband (who still goes to the old doctor) actually has to take vitamin D supplement now--and he enjoys being outdoors more than me, even in cold weather.

Mini-rant off-topic: I don't know why vitamin D is something doctors/insurance companies won't test for/allow more regularly, especially in older adults. My 73-year old mother wasn't tested regularly at her dr's office (apparently Medicare doesn't consider it necessary???)...until she broke her ankle this past spring. Surprise, surprise--her vitamin D levels were low.

Agree, my recent bloodwork had everything else, but no vitamin D levels. I saw footage of Unadressed Vitamin D deficiency and it isn't nice, plus with the lack of sun exposure and being indoors so common, Insurance should add it and cover it! I started taking a teeny tiny dosage of vitamin D supplement, And im not going lie, I feel better.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Best to get bloodwork and confirm,especially if you don't have symptoms of iron deficiency anemia. I have symptoms like pica, and I had bloodwork done( in which I habitually test low iron levels) I supplement and make sure I eat enough iron rich foods however, like you said that's not so easy...but fun fact Cherrios, Chex, and Raisinbrand cereals have LOADS of iron per serving, like half RDA, however personally im not always willing to spare the calories.

Cereal grains do not contain these amounts of iron naturally - some brands are FORTIFIED, which means the manufacturer just throws in whatever cheap form of iron they can get. IME it's better to just take a supplement.

I tried Total (my OH eats) and Grape Nuts (my brother eats) recently. One serving contains 70% and 90% of the iron RDA, respectively. I felt dizzy and weird after both of them, and have stopped eating them.

Yikes, didn't know this, luckily I can't eat cereal like a lady (I eat double, triple portions) so I don't often buy it. This is definitely good to know.

I used to never eat cereal either, but I've recently found that if one serving has at least 4 g of fiber, and I have 40 g raspberries, for another 3 g of fiber, one serving of cereal does keep me full for relatively few calories.

I'm currently eating various types of Nature's Path cereal, which does not have the crazy amount of iron added to it.

Im going to try this..now, does it need to be raspberries( they can be pricey when not in season) or can I do like wild blueberries?What type of fruit substitutes would you suggest?Or do the raspberries work the best? If yes I'll just do them.

Oh, I buy FROZEN raspberries, which are quite cheap at a local chain, Market Basket. They do have slightly more fiber than blueberries, which I also buy frozen this time of year. But lately I've been using 30 g of raspberries and 10 g of (frozen) wild blueberries to add a little variety.