Measuring rice

Options
Whenever I want to measure basmati rice. It pulls up different types of ways to measure it (ounce, grams etc). I need 125g, but I get confused. Is is 125g uncooked or is it 125g cooked?

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Use a database entry that specifies dry/ raw. Measure yours dry then cook. The nutritiondata entries have several units of measure, so check units. Those are reliable entries. Good luck!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Most accurate is measuring raw.

However if it is not practical to do this measure cooked.

Most important is that your entry matches ie if you measured raw, use a raw entry, if you measured c ooked, use a cooked entry
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    As said, measure raw, where possible and you should be able to spot appropriate entries by the calorie number per 100g if you can’t specifically find an entry that says ‘dry’ or ‘raw’ etc.

100g of uncooked rice will have around 370 calories. Varies very slightly by type of rice, but that’s a basic average. (So your 125g will have 460 calories or so)

An entry for cooked rice will be more in the region of 130cals for 100g. (125g will be around 165 cals)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    And just to add to this: Cooked rice doesn't lose calories of course, but the cooking process absorbs water into the rice and thus it gets heavier. So your 125gr uncooked rice might be 350gr cooked.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    What everyone said. Also, because there are lots of types of rice and different rice entries, if you have package information on your rice (which will be dry unless it specifies as prepared), that's a good way to go. If the information is for, say, 100 g and you have 125, you would simply log 1.25 servings.

If you weighed your rice after cooking, you will need to find a cooked entry, or else the cals will be way overstated, since 125 g of cooked rice would have weighed way less when dry.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    there are both cooked and uncooked entries in the database. Find the one that applies to you.

Rice is one of those few things I do use the cooked entry for.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    there are both cooked and uncooked entries in the database. Find the one that applies to you.

Rice is one of those few things I do use the cooked entry for.

I do too sometimes, as there are times when one cannot easily measure uncooked.

I use cooked for bone-in meat too.
  • taylordooley125
    taylordooley125 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much, I am still very new to counting macros etc. Yall have helped so much