Sick of these chatty cathies during workout classes

Options
2»

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Just FTR, I used the word "morons" to describe the people who use ridiculous logic like "If you find this distracting, that's your problem. Focus on what you're doing, not what others are doing." Not the gabby-gabbies. Them, I would simply describe as rude.
  • bcalvanese
    bcalvanese Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Stop being a "chatty spartan"... lol
  • spartan_d
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Is this an instructor led class? If so, I am shocked the class instructor has not said anything.

I think this instructor has just given up. I've known other instructors who have said that it's a losing battle.

@cmriverside... YES, women can be chatty. That is no excuse. Most women are still respectful toward the instructor. The fault lies entirely on the shoulders of the offenders, not the innocent bystanders who are forced to endure this rudeness.

I understand if it's an over the top situation and only you really know how bad it is. I've never witnessed something that disrupts the whole class.

It doesn't have to disrupt the whole class. If it's needlessly distracting to even one participant, that's more than enough reason.

Heck, even if it doesn't actually disrupt any of the other class attendees, it's still disrespectful to the instructor.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Then have a conversation with them before or after class. A polite conversation...i.e. don't call them morons.

Say, "Could I ask you a favor? When you have conversations during class, it makes it hard to pay attention to the instructor. Out of respect for the instructor and the other people in class, could you save your conversations for after class?"

Ideally, the instructor would be saying this. Anyway, most people are totally oblivious to how their behavior affects other people. There's a good chance that these woman have no idea they are bothering anyone because it has never been brought up to them.

It might be hard for you to "ask" in such a nice way, but this is taking the high road instead of ranting about it on public message boards.

From past experience, I know that some gyms do NOT want the participants confronting other participants, due to the potential for unpleasant conflicts and possibly losing members. They ask the gym members to leave this to the staff.

Whether the staff takes action or not is another thing. As I've said, sometimes instructors have determined that certain people just won't change. I know that in this case, the instructor did tell the offenders to keep quiet at the start of the class, but it didn't take long for them to resume the gabbery.

That's why I suggested the most unconfrontational way of saying it. By not accusing them of anything, but asking for a favor politely. If they react negatively, at least you tried. Maybe if they hear it from a fellow classmate, MAYBE the might keep it down a little?

Why should someone ask for a favor from rude individual(s) who should know better, but think the world revolves around them

To get results. As I said, some people are just oblivious. If you go in confrontational, you'll definitely get defensiveness and pushback. If you go in calmly and looking for understanding, there's a CHANCE that it may sink in.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Then have a conversation with them before or after class. A polite conversation...i.e. don't call them morons.

Say, "Could I ask you a favor? When you have conversations during class, it makes it hard to pay attention to the instructor. Out of respect for the instructor and the other people in class, could you save your conversations for after class?"

Ideally, the instructor would be saying this. Anyway, most people are totally oblivious to how their behavior affects other people. There's a good chance that these woman have no idea they are bothering anyone because it has never been brought up to them.

It might be hard for you to "ask" in such a nice way, but this is taking the high road instead of ranting about it on public message boards.

From past experience, I know that some gyms do NOT want the participants confronting other participants, due to the potential for unpleasant conflicts and possibly losing members. They ask the gym members to leave this to the staff.

Whether the staff takes action or not is another thing. As I've said, sometimes instructors have determined that certain people just won't change. I know that in this case, the instructor did tell the offenders to keep quiet at the start of the class, but it didn't take long for them to resume the gabbery.

That's why I suggested the most unconfrontational way of saying it. By not accusing them of anything, but asking for a favor politely. If they react negatively, at least you tried. Maybe if they hear it from a fellow classmate, MAYBE the might keep it down a little?

Why should someone ask for a favor from rude individual(s) who should know better, but think the world revolves around them

Because we should do like we tell our kids, try to work out the issue before running to mommy/daddy or some other authority figure?

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Ok, do you know for sure the instructor of this class is bothered by it? I only ask because I have attended some classes where the attendees are very chatty, and the instructor is right there with them. The people who choose this class do so because of the added social aspect of it. I myself am a quiet gym goer. I prefer to do my thing and get out. I was able to speak to the member service person abs find a class that better suited what I was looking for from the class.

I agree that if it is distracting for the instructor that it’s disrespectful, and I apologize if I missed it, but I did not see where you said you talked to this instructor about it. I only saw where you said something like most instructors you’ve talked to.

I just wanted to point out that while it may be not as common, some instructors don’t mind, and in some cases encourage the social chatting during class. I take a dance class that is like that in that setting it’s fine because the instructor shows us something and then gives us time to practice the moves during which everyone kind of chats and the instructor goes around the room and gives some one on one advice. It’s very friendly abs sometimes loud lol but everyone has fun. I would not like this in a yoga class which is the example I had above where I found a different class to take. In that particular Yoga class the regular attendees loved the social aspect and the instructor encouraged it. That particular class just wasn’t for me, I would not say that the others were being disrespectful though, unless the instructor was trying to create a specific environment and they were not honoring his/her boundaries.

• chikadeedoo
    chikadeedoo Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Say, "Could I ask you a favor? When you have conversations during class, it makes it hard to pay attention to the instructor. Out of respect for the instructor and the other people in the class, could you save your conversations for after class?"

Ideally, the instructor would be saying this. Anyway, most people are totally oblivious to how their behavior affects other people. There's a good chance that these women have no idea they are bothering anyone because it has never been brought up to them.

That's a good way to do this. If you want to stay in the class, maybe consider mentioning your problem to your class instructor instead of coming to a public forum and rant about "those chatty women".

• spartan_d
    edited January 2021
    Options
    panda4153 wrote:
    Ok, do you know for sure the instructor of this class is bothered by it?

YES, I DO. As I mentioned earlier a few times earlier, he already asked these women to keep quiet at the start of the class.

Moreover, the default assumption should be that the instructor and the other attendees would be bothered. Not "Hey, let's catch up! Let's start having a conversation and people can ask us to stop if it turns out to be annoying. And if the instructor gives up after a while, that means it's okay to keep on talking."

Say, "Could I ask you a favor? When you have conversations during class, it makes it hard to pay attention to the instructor. Out of respect for the instructor and the other people in the class, could you save your conversations for after class?"

Ideally, the instructor would be saying this. Anyway, most people are totally oblivious to how their behavior affects other people. There's a good chance that these women have no idea they are bothering anyone because it has never been brought up to them.

That's a good way to do this. If you want to stay in the class, maybe consider mentioning your problem to your class instructor instead of coming to a public forum and rant about "those chatty women".

Again, as I said a few times earlier, the instructor already told them, at the start of the class, to keep quiet and listen. He already knows that it's a problem.

And even if that weren't the case, avoiding long conversations is just a matter of respect, even if the instructor does wind up being the type who doesn't care.
  • spartan_d
    edited January 2021
    Options
    panda4153 wrote: »

I just wanted to point out that while it may be not as common, some instructors don’t mind, and in some cases encourage the social chatting during class. I take a dance class that is like that in that setting it’s fine because the instructor shows us something and then gives us time to practice the moves during which everyone kind of chats...
    I think that some common sense applies. If you're chatting to work out the dance moves in a dance class, then that's just a normal part of the partnered workout process. It's entirely different from having a prolonged conversation about something else altogether.

One would have to strive mighty hard to find a situation in which prolonged and unrelated conversation is something to be encouraged during a class.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    IMO, this is kinda like leaving one's plates or dumbbells in random locations around the gym. It's possible that the gym owner doesn't care, but that's no excuse. One shouldn't assume that it's okay, even in the absence of signage, and it's certainly inconsiderate to the other gym members.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Have you tried yelling STFU?

>:)

There you go. No beating around the bush.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Have you tried yelling STFU?

>:)

Love this, my thoughts exactly
    That would get their attention to be quiet and they may not even return which would be beneficial to those that are interested in exercising