Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Goal: Maintaining Weight
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Is there a safe way to lose 30 lbs by May 26?

MPyLPMPyLP Member Posts: 25 Member Member Posts: 25 Member
Hi everyone, I am a 5'4 38 yr old mom of 3 who used to be very active until recent ovarian surgeries, laparascopic surgeries and of course the diagnosis of endometriosis last year. I used to weigh 125-130 even after my kids. And now I weigh 155 and its just breaking me. I dont like how I feel this heavy. Due to a laparoscopy in June of last year I was unable to do anything short of walking for almost 3.5 months and by then of course even as I watched what I ate I gained weight. As soon as thr holidays passed I began to work out and then a cold took me out of commission for a week and a half. I'm tired of squeezing into my pants. I'm tired of all this excess weight I have and I want to be 30 lbs lighter by May but I want to do it safely. Is this possible? Any advice helps.
«1

Replies

  • heybalesheybales Member, Premium Posts: 18,532 Member Member, Premium Posts: 18,532 Member
    3 kids - not sedentary - Lightly-Active.
    This is merely for the household activities associated with 3 kids - if constantly running around with them because of being that age - probably even higher.
  • 4Phoenix4Phoenix Member Posts: 206 Member Member Posts: 206 Member
    Losing 2 pounds a week, is do able on paper. However, even with dedication, planning, stress strategies, physical exercise, and motivation, our weight goals fluctuate even under the best actions. Plan your actions as if your goals are to meet a reasonable 2 pounds a week....you might succeed and, if not, you will be happier focusing on your journey and well on your way to your goal.
  • Strudders67Strudders67 Member Posts: 850 Member Member Posts: 850 Member
    MPyLP wrote: »
    Thank you everyone. I have adjusted to start off at 1 lb per week, have incorporated alot more protein, whole grains and fiber as well as water and I have added resistance bands to my workout ( omg I love those things). I wanted to try to be at 125 for my anniversary but I realized THAT is not gonna happen especially with me working on top of coming home and helping kids with remote school work and lifes little unexpectancies. So I am sticking to this and hopefully be at least 20 lbs lighter. Thanks for the support.

    Good for you. Even if you don't lose 20lb (weight loss isn't linear, it'll slow as you get lighter anyway plus the end of May is 16 weeks away), any weight loss at all is still better than where you are right now and will hopefully give you the encouragement to continue.


    In case you haven't read it elsewhere, weigh yourself regularly (be that daily, weekly, monthly or whatever) but be aware that your weight will fluctuate - what you're looking for is a downward trend over longer periods. Blips where you gain 1 or 2lb overnight are likely to be water weight not your body suddenly gaining fat.
  • MPyLPMPyLP Member Posts: 25 Member Member Posts: 25 Member
    So today I finished my log and it stated if i kept it up I could weigh 145 in 5 was and I just looked at my log and im actually surprised and VERY proud of myself bc I did kinda cheat with a pepsi BUT I made sugar cookies AND chocolate chip cookies with my kids and I didn't get one. Instead I had a bowl with 1 cup measured All bran with 1/2 cup 2% milk which I also measured and I didn't feel hungry. I also incorporated salmon and quinoa to my diet.
  • MPyLPMPyLP Member Posts: 25 Member Member Posts: 25 Member
    Good morning I am ready to start the day. Eating my whole wheat and fiber bc today will be busy
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,288 Member Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,288 Member
    If you were like over 250lbs then yes.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,288 Member Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,288 Member
    4Phoenix wrote: »
    Losing 2 pounds a week, is do able on paper. However, even with dedication, planning, stress strategies, physical exercise, and motivation, our weight goals fluctuate even under the best actions. Plan your actions as if your goals are to meet a reasonable 2 pounds a week....you might succeed and, if not, you will be happier focusing on your journey and well on your way to your goal.
    Not safe for her. Mathematically she'd have to be eating well under 1000 calories to achieve that. Bad advice.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • MPyLPMPyLP Member Posts: 25 Member Member Posts: 25 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    4Phoenix wrote: »
    Losing 2 pounds a week, is do able on paper. However, even with dedication, planning, stress strategies, physical exercise, and motivation, our weight goals fluctuate even under the best actions. Plan your actions as if your goals are to meet a reasonable 2 pounds a week....you might succeed and, if not, you will be happier focusing on your journey and well on your way to your goal.
    Not safe for her. Mathematically she'd have to be eating well under 1000 calories to achieve that. Bad advice.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Thank you. So far my average is around 1400 calories per day and im getting close. Yesterday it let me know that if I keep it up at that rate I will weigh 145 in 5 wks. Is this pretty accurate?
  • MPyLPMPyLP Member Posts: 25 Member Member Posts: 25 Member
    My mistake it is 1430 per day. I feel accurate numbers help
  • mpkpbk2015mpkpbk2015 Member Posts: 352 Member Member Posts: 352 Member
    Bad idea 30 pounds in that short of a period of time is not safe or healthy. I have lost 98 pounds and it's taken me 2 years. The average amount to lose when your obese is 1.5 to 2.0 a week. At 155 your overweight but not obese. You would have to be doing something pretty drastic to your body to lose that amount of weight in such s short period of time. You will gain it all back shortly and then some. Slow off stay off.
  • ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,288 Member Member, Greeter, Premium Posts: 44,288 Member
    MPyLP wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    4Phoenix wrote: »
    Losing 2 pounds a week, is do able on paper. However, even with dedication, planning, stress strategies, physical exercise, and motivation, our weight goals fluctuate even under the best actions. Plan your actions as if your goals are to meet a reasonable 2 pounds a week....you might succeed and, if not, you will be happier focusing on your journey and well on your way to your goal.
    Not safe for her. Mathematically she'd have to be eating well under 1000 calories to achieve that. Bad advice.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Thank you. So far my average is around 1400 calories per day and im getting close. Yesterday it let me know that if I keep it up at that rate I will weigh 145 in 5 wks. Is this pretty accurate?
    That's IF weight loss were linear. But it's not. As weight goes down, you tend to lose less and less per week. So instead of 1lb you might lose .8lb. But IF you are consistent and patient, then it should continue to go down.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • DancingMoosieDancingMoosie Member Posts: 6,771 Member Member Posts: 6,771 Member
    I joined mfp in Feb and went from size 10 to size 2 by May. It is possible. But you need to be careful. I started with 1350 daily calories and slowly increased until I was at 1800. I was pretty active, working out daily and a busy full time job.
Sign In or Register to comment.