Breakfast ideas: vegetarian, low/no fat, high protein, low carb

Options
JoDavo66
JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
edited January 2021 in Food and Nutrition
Essentially a vegetarian trying to reduce carbs & up protein. Usually I'd have: fakeaway healthy "egg mcmuffin", scrambled egg +mushrooms/thin smoked salmon on toast, 0% fat Greek Yoghurt with coconut protein powder.
Today been told to avoid fat for gallstones & inflammation of gallbladder (after ending up in hospital during night).
Can't have cereal with MILK either.
I still need to loose weight too-
Quick & easy ideas needed please.
I can work out lunches & dinners-but stuck on breakfast. Will need to keep me going from 06:30/07:00- 13:00 lunch time!!!

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    So the 0% fat Greek yogurt is still okay. How about a large serving with berries?

I do this with a small amount of granola mixed in, but it's fine without the granola, and you could possibly find a cereal that meets your criteria to add a little crunch. This lasts me until lunch.

Also you can buy the cartons of egg whites and still do scrambled eggs with mushrooms or whatever veggies you like.

Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    I endorse the eating ideas above, but as a vegetarian, I have to say: Low carb, low fat implies . . . protein. Protein without carbs, and without fats, as a vegetarian . . . that's hard. Is the reduced carbs a medical dictate, too? Or is it just that you're having trouble hitting your protein goal overall, but are high on carbs through the day?

I'd tend to go with the nonfat Greek yogurt idea, or maybe seitan or tempeh. Some forms of tofu are relatively lower fat, can be used in a scramble with egg whites to increase protein . . . unless you're also trying to avoid gluten, soy?

Legumes are really helpful to me, as a protein source, but they do have carbs (fewer net carbs than gross, because high fiber).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    JoDavo66 wrote: »
    Essentially a vegetarian trying to reduce carbs & up protein. Usually I'd have: fakeaway healthy "egg mcmuffin", scrambled egg +mushrooms/thin smoked salmon on toast, 0% fat Greek Yoghurt with coconut protein powder.
    Today been told to avoid fat for gallstones & inflammation of gallbladder (after ending up in hospital during night).
    I can work out lunches & dinners-but stuck on breakfast. Will need to keep me going from 06:30/07:00- 13:00 lunch time!!!

If all you were told was "avoid fat" do clarify - tell them you eat X calories per day and ask how many grams should be fat. (Or what % of your calories should come from fat, which will work better with MFP - see below.)

I'm working on reducing fat and saturated fat for a different medical issue and right now I'm just working to stay under the MFP defaults. After I've done that for a month or so I will lower it. I like having a fat "budget" - helps me make choices and not feel deprived.

This place recommends 10-20% of your calories come from fat (but do check with your doctor.)

https://www.regionaldigestiveconsultants.com/diets/Gallstones-DietforGallstones.pdf

You can change your fat goal % in MFP here:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My go-to brekkie is savory oatmeal and veggies (same veg that would go in an omelette only without the eggs.)

I used to microwave quick oats because it's fast, but now that my spouse has become an oatmeal fan, we make batches of crockpot steel cut oats with chia and hemp seeds added for extra protein & fiber. I can heat it up, eat, and be out the door in 15 minutes
  • JoDavo66
    Options
    Thank you for suggestions.
    I can suss out lunch & evening meal pretty well just breakfast.
    UK lockdown so I've managed to get GP phone appointment (waiting) so I can get some further help.
    As pointed out often veggie protein includes plant fat- apparently the gall bladder doesn't differentiate between the 2 & although plant oils healthier, in this case no different. ☹
    The Nurse Practitioner actually said not to eat 0%yoghurt (I normally have fat free Greek, apparently added sugar- I see about 5% sugar which I thought was low enough) or even skimmed milk!!! That threw me. Need GP to clarify this.
    So many conflicting articles on-line- aaagggghhhh!
    I'm particularly liking the egg alternatives/supplements, I use tofu but not scrambled it so that's one to try. I used to have "overnight oats" a while back but dropped due to carbs in flavour of higher protein but I like the idea of increasing an oatmeal breakfast with seeds etc to increase protein.
    Much appreciated all, thank you
  • JoDavo66
    Options
    Just had GP phone appt & got referred to Dietitian.
    Thank you all- this should keep me going until I hear from them.
  • MLHC1
    MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    IDK if this will go with your limitations but here are a few of my favs:

Nature's Bakery Original Fig Bar and Cottage Cheese

Whole wheat toast with avocado and one poached egg

Poached egg on a whole wheat english muffin served along side of asparagus and half a grapefruit

I'm hypoglycemic so I need high protein and some carbs to regular my sugar in the AM.

Hope some ideas come to you, Best of Luck!! ;)
  • JoDavo66
    Options
    @MLHC1 thank you.
    I hadn't thought about cottage cheese for breakfast. Grapefruit a pretty good one too. Haven't had it in ages.
    Unfortunately eggs & avacado banned at the moment!! 😭
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    What about a protein drink? I have been drinking a premier protein ( 160 calories, 4 g sugar, 30g protein) drink with my breakfast and it really helps me get my protein in since I don't eat meat.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I don't know if apples have too many carbs for you, but this is one of my faves. Diced apple sprinkled LIBERALLY with cinnamon, topped with cottage cheese and chopped nuts of your choice (I use roasted, unsalted mixed nuts).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thank you for suggestions.
    I can suss out lunch & evening meal pretty well just breakfast.
    UK lockdown so I've managed to get GP phone appointment (waiting) so I can get some further help.
    As pointed out often veggie protein includes plant fat- apparently the gall bladder doesn't differentiate between the 2 & although plant oils healthier, in this case no different. ☹
    The Nurse Practitioner actually said not to eat 0%yoghurt (I normally have fat free Greek, apparently added sugar- I see about 5% sugar which I thought was low enough) or even skimmed milk!!! That threw me. Need GP to clarify this.
    So many conflicting articles on-line- aaagggghhhh!
    I'm particularly liking the egg alternatives/supplements, I use tofu but not scrambled it so that's one to try. I used to have "overnight oats" a while back but dropped due to carbs in flavour of higher protein but I like the idea of increasing an oatmeal breakfast with seeds etc to increase protein.
    Much appreciated all, thank you

If it's plain fat free greek yogurt, there shouldn't be added sugar...the sugar you are seeing is lactose which is naturally occurring in dairy products.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Check out Alpro's soya yoghurt (the Plain, No Sugar one) - it's zero carb, low fat and will give you some protein. It's not as easy to find as the normal soya yoghurt, but bigger Tesco's, Sainsbury's and Waitrose sell it. I add chia seeds (will also give you some protein) and a handful of berries.

Alpro's unsweetened roasted almond milk is also zero carb and zero fat, which you could have with your cereal or a small serving of porridge to which you can add chia seeds and berries.

Also, as mentioned above, consider having a lunch option for breakfast. There's no set time for eating salad or soup.
  • JoDavo66
    Options
    @cwolfman13 that's what I thought too. The Nurse Practitioner was adamant so when I got GP phone appt I checked with them & am allowed it as only 5% sugar. Fat Free plain Greek.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I hope your appointment with the dietitian comes through soon.

Here in the UK I found Revolution foods, its a vegan company. They do all sort of protein blends and meals, all plant based protein products. They even breakdown the amino acid profile too. I use these as a way to up my protein. I like them. I've been ordering mine on line, since the health food shop had difficulty stocking them in the last, first lock down.

Have you tried any of the Rice and other kinds of "milk", their formulation is totally different to dairy milk. It could be a way to still have your cereal. They do not, generalising her, seem to try to provide the broader benefits of dairy products. My nutritionist recommended avoiding Soy based one's because it can be difficult for some to digest.

Take care.
  • Peaches160
    Peaches160 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Hi I had gallstones (had my gallbladder removed 6 days ago) I ate overnight oats with almond milk with some homemade granola or smoothies made of almond milk, bananas, berries and even added nut butter at times. The trick for me was to consume smaller meals, I would usually have fresh fruits around 10 am.

I hope that helps. I wish you the best managing your problem.
  • JoDavo66
    Options
    @Fuzzypeg thanks- I'm in UK too: who sells Revolution foods please? Can't say I've noticed them.

Almond milk being suggested a lot. Think I'll be trying. Although when spoke to GP she can't understand why Practitioner at hospital said not to. I had soya milk & yoghurt for a few years (for plant oestrogens) but started having problems with it so stopped.

@Peaches160 Thank you for ypur personal experience. I hope your recovery is going well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 that's what I thought too. The Nurse Practitioner was adamant so when I got GP phone appt I checked with them & am allowed it as only 5% sugar. Fat Free plain Greek.

"5% sugar" meaning no more than 5% of your daily calories come from ADDED sugar, per the WHO guidelines?

Or something else?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Revolution Foods sell on line, in some health food shops too. If you put Revolution Foods into your search engine you should find the site, I can't remember if they list local health food outlet, take a look at their product and order on line as an occasional person, you do not have to join up, there is a scheme for regular users. I've ordered twice.