How to get my vains to show up on my arms

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    Would a lean Bulk sooth me to build up my muscles on my body cause I don't want to end up with skinny and not much muscle under neat my fat
    You DON'T want to bulk with so much fat to lose right now. Eat at a moderate deficit and train hard.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Low body fat. Usually 15% and under.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Not sure i agree with that. I've had veins showing in my arms and legs since 20% or a little higher. But i loss in those places first.
    It's not a definitive number, but I've seen people at 20% and not have veins. At 15%, I've not seen anyone NOT have at least some vascularity.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    Not sure I am understanding the question.

Not sure how much body fat percentage I have - but I have a BMI of 23, down from 28.

I do no weights training and have no illusions about muscle mass.

My hands are veiny and my veins in my arm are very easy to see (good for blood tests)

Excess body fat would obviously make them deeper - but it is also just genetic.

Sorry if I am barking up wrong tree :*
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Not sure I am understanding the question.

Not sure how much body fat percentage I have - but I have a BMI of 23, down from 28.

I do no weights training and have no illusions about muscle mass.

My hands are veiny and my veins in my arm are very easy to see (good for blood tests)

Excess body fat would obviously make them deeper - but it is also just genetic.

Sorry if I am barking up wrong tree :*

I believe the OP is referring to vascularity in bodybuilding - like this pic 6gqhhlmku5zh.png
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I looked similar to you, but with even more fat. You Have your work cut out for you. You have a goal, now you need to be consistent and keep pushing. Enjoy the journey on the way there. 💪
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Just went and read the other thread. My advice, to look more like your stated goals, lose at least 20 lbs, and since you can’t get to the gym, start progressive push-up, dips, and pull-up challenges. If you can’t do pull-ups lay a broom over two chairs, get underneath, and do inverted rows.

I’m a woman with still plenty of body fat and my upper arms developed a couple of big heavy veins when I started lifting heavy. There’s no real shortcut, make your muscles beg your heart to send them more blood by working them hard, then lose enough weight that the veins show.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

I’m a woman with still plenty of body fat and my upper arms developed a couple of big heavy veins when I started lifting heavy. There’s no real shortcut, make your muscles beg your heart to send them more blood by working them hard, then lose enough weight that the veins show.

Great advice on starting strength training. I am just starting out with some strength training, and I don't want to have heavy veins, will that always happen with heavy lifting? If trying not to get them would it be better to lift lighter with more reps?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Great advice on starting strength training. I am just starting out with some strength training, and I don't want to have heavy veins, will that always happen with heavy lifting? If trying not to get them would it be better to lift lighter with more reps?
    Unless you’re going out of your way trying to get ripped it probably won’t be a big problem - my arms look normal unless I’m pumped from lifting. My hands are pretty veiny but if I want them to look more delicate (say for a photo of a manicure) I can hold my hand up for 30 seconds and the veins go away. I’m also 52 so my hands are more veiny than when I was younger.

Lighter reps won’t necessarily prevent you from getting big veins, I have seen cyclists with massive calf veins! And they are basically doing a million light reps. But as a woman I wouldn’t worry about it. Most women have to work hard to get big and vascular, it doesn’t happen by accident.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    OP, as several others have already said you still need to lose some weight (fat) before you should consider any bulking. That means sticking with a calorie deficit, adequate protein and training your muscles to preserve muscle mass.

I think it's important to have a realistic understanding of where we are and set realistic expectations. Right now, you are quite far from needing to focus on veins popping in your arms and nowhere near "skinny fat", so you should keep working on weight loss.

Good luck!