Question about Nigella's Recipe of the Day: Bitter Orange Tart

Options
kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
So this looks good, except for all the butter. Suggestions on how to make it less caloric?

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/bitter-orange-tart

Replies

• siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all oils and fats have similar calories per tbsp, so really all you can do is a) try using less butter but it might not taste as good, or b) eat smaller portions of it after making it.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Honestly, assuming you’re referring to the 150g of butter in the curd filling, rather than the 75g in the base, I don’t think there’s anything that’ll work in it’s place and give anything like a similar result.

Your best bet might be to adapt a traditional lemon meringue pie filling by using the oranges instead of lemons. That relies on cornflour (cornstarch) to thicken and set. It’s a curd of a sort but not using butter so may not be dissimilar in the end. 🤷‍♀️

The butter in the base could be avoided by using milk, or better yet, calorie wise, almond or other plant based milk. Or so I’ve read - never actually tried it (though I might now, because that tart sounds amazing!)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So this looks good, except for all the butter. Suggestions on how to make it less caloric?

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/bitter-orange-tart

Hmm.. I'd think not cook a Nigella recipe :D
    Honestly, I can only think of eating tiny pieces of a probably extremely tasty cake. Enjoy.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    lj6tl8r0swh2.jpg
    I made orange rounds with sour red oranges the other day. The curd is very simple and you might want to try this. It's tart though.

400ml of fresh squeezed orange juice
    50g sugar
    50g cornstarch

Put the juice in a heavy bottom saucepan and heat. Add sugar and cornstarch. Stir constantly until thick. Take off heat and cool a little.

At this point you can cover with plastic wrap and follow your recipe.
    What I did was butter 3 small jars and pour in the mixture. Cover w plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Put coconut in a big dish. With a sharp knife help the cylinders out of the jars and place in coconut. Slice in about 1/2 inch slices and coat w coconut. I had 12 discs at about 70 cal each.

They are a little too tart for my liking. I want to try adding chia, and some vanilla protein powder. I've got to do some experimenting, but you may be able to use this recipe combined with yours.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    lj6tl8r0swh2.jpg
    I made orange rounds with sour red oranges the other day. The curd is very simple and you might want to try this. It's tart though.

400ml of fresh squeezed orange juice
    50g sugar
    50g cornstarch

Put the juice in a heavy bottom saucepan and heat. Add sugar and cornstarch. Stir constantly until thick. Take off heat and cool a little.

At this point you can cover with plastic wrap and follow your recipe.
    What I did was butter 3 small jars and pour in the mixture. Cover w plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Put coconut in a big dish. With a sharp knife help the cylinders out of the jars and place in coconut. Slice in about 1/2 inch slices and coat w coconut. I had 12 discs at about 70 cal each.

They are a little too tart for my liking. I want to try adding chia, and some vanilla protein powder. I've got to do some experimenting, but you may be able to use this recipe combined with yours.

@snowflake954 I found this while looking for another thread and am going to give it a try, belated thanks!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Options
    Use a custard powder or replace the butter with gelatin. Personally I would just go with portion control and enjoy life.