No results after months

Options
I've been trying to lose 20lbs for the last 3/4 months however nothing is working, it's so demotivating :-(
I'm current 138lbs, and 5ft7.
I have an active lifestyle due to my job so my calorie goal is 1590, I never reach this, i always eat between 1000-1200 and I've tried so many different types of exercises for a steady amount of time but nothing seems to make these extra pounds drop!
I eat really healthily and I'm always doing some kind of exercise, whether its just walking somewhere or more energetic like running.

Yet here I am months later and still around 140lb, why?!

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You ate so little and cos of that your metabolism has prolly slowed down quaite a bit. That's why you don't lose weight... 1000 cals is your maintenace now not deficit. To lose weight you should ate at calorie deficit, therefore lower than 1000 cals, but then again, that would not be healthy and you don't wanna do that...

Increase your calories slowy, like maybe 100 a week or something, until you reach 1590 a day. You need to speed up your metabolism again back to normal. Stick it for like a month. Then go back to 1200 and you will lose weight again 100%.
    How to increase? Well, if you have problems with feeling too full then ate something what will not make you full and still has a lot of calories. Usually it will be either fat or sugars. For example a glass of healthy orange juice have around 120 calories from good sugars. And it will not make you full at all, at least not for longer than 10 min. I bet you can drink juices. Or as another example - nuts. A handful of peanuts will have around 160 calories from good uinsaturated fat and will not make you full.
  • hevurxo
    hevurxo Posts: 27
    Options
    Am I going to gain weight from that though?
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You do not need to lose any weight. You already look very thin and you are in the normal weight range. Instead do toning of your body. Try fitnessblender.com and do total body workouts, pilates, and various bodyweight toning. you can also try blogilates for more exercise videos.
  • hevurxo
    Options
    Blogiglates killed me off when I tried that! but I'll try toning in other ways, thank you :-)
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories, incorporate strength training and start doing Intermittent Fasting every day.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was eating 1400 calories. Now I eat at least 1700 calories per day and I have incorporated strength training. I have seen a huge difference. :)
  • mperrott2205
    Options

Does gaining weight matter? What matters is your appearance and your body fat %. Weight don't mean anything in that regard.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Maybe, maybe not. That's why I say increase calories slowly every week not just start to ate 1600 next day. That will make sure you let your body time to adjust to changes slowly and if you gain anything then it will be as little as possible.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and same weight and want to lose 15. If you make your food diary public people could see what the problem is, perhaps?

Jenny x
  • hevurxo
    Options
    It matters in that regard as my appearance IS bad enough without gaining extra.. that's my point xD

Ill try increasing slowly and doing more strength training - whats the best way to approach that? casual sit ups and stuff at home or going to the gym and using the machines and free weights?

Im not confident enough to put my diary on public though, Im a bit funny when it comes to showing people what I eat
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Maybe your body tries to tell you it's enough as it is. You really shouldn't loose much more. I think your weight goal is not very resonable. Underweight is just as overweight not healthy and loosing all the feminine curves isn't beautiful either.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    wait... you're 6 inches taller than me, and I'm trying to bulk up to your current weight.

140lb is a healthy weight for your height. Why do you want to lose weight? Maybe the changes you want to see in your body aren't going to happen by losing more weight. A lot of women find, once they're in the healthy weight range, but their body still doesn't look the way they want, that eating more and heavy lifting is what finally makes the changes in their body that they wanted to see all along. Sometimes, they end up heavier than before, but at a smaller dress size, because muscle is denser than fat.

Read this account of how one woman ended up heavier, but at a smaller dress size and much more fit, "toned" looking body:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • mperrott2205
    Options
    It matters in that regard as my appearance IS bad enough without gaining extra.. that's my point xD

And my point is this:

Gaining weight != to gaining fat.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I agree with your other replies sweetie. You NEED to increase your calories and incorporate strength training into your routine. Kettlebells are brutal but so effective for toning. Give 'em a go!
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Does gaining weight matter? What matters is your appearance and your body fat %. Weight don't mean anything in that regard.

^^^^ totally this

healthy bones and muscles are heavier than unhealthy ones. In everything other than body fat, heavier is healthier. Carrying too much body fat is not healthy, however, if your body fat percentage is in the healthy range, then being heavier because you gained muscle mass or increased your bone density is actually a good thing.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    wait... you're 6 inches taller than me, and I'm trying to bulk up to your current weight.

140lb is a healthy weight for your height.

err... so is 118lbs... which is what she's aiming for.

Her choice. :-)
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • neandermagnon
    Options

140lb is a healthy weight for your height.

err... so is 118lbs... which is what she's aiming for.

Her choice. :-)

my point is that simply getting lighter and lighter doesn't always produce the changes that people want to see in their body. Read the article I posted about Staci - she looked way better at 142lb than she did at 117lb
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Ill try increasing slowly and doing more strength training - whats the best way to approach that? casual sit ups and stuff at home or going to the gym and using the machines and free weights?

Im not confident enough to put my diary on public though, Im a bit funny when it comes to showing people what I eat

You are at a healthy weight, but it seems like YOU feel that you are "skinny-fat". The number on the scale really doesn't matter. What matters is how your clothes fit. I am wearing the exact same tank top in all 3 pictures.

this is me at 195 lbs in 2010
    8193374926_e25182cc2b_q.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me at 196 lbs in November 2012
    8211731868_5394684d1d_q.jpg
    IMG00856-20121123-0837 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

this is me at 195 lbs in the summer of 2013
    8681875038_8398899acd_q.jpg
    march and april 2013 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. I do cardio, I do strength training. I have other gym members come up to me and tell me that my trainer is training me like a man, but it is WORKING. DO a plank challenge, Do a crunch challenge. EAT. I eat probably 2000 calories a day.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything you eat? and I mean everything?

although you are eating too little you should be losing weight.