Replies

• Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Not the way I see it, but hey... :-)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Im not confident enough to put my diary on public though, Im a bit funny when it comes to showing people what I eat

If you're not happy to put your diary up so we can help you, you must have something to hide???

I bet you don't eat NEARLY enough food and you're scared people will pick up on that.:noway:
  • Hildy_J
    Options
    [/quote]

my point is that simply getting lighter and lighter doesn't always produce the changes that people want to see in their body. [quote\]

But sometimes it does. :-)
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

Im not confident enough to put my diary on public though, Im a bit funny when it comes to showing people what I eat

If you're not happy to put your diary up so we can help you, you must have something to hide???

I bet you don't eat NEARLY enough food and you're scared people will pick up on that.:noway:

hidden eating disorder perhaps?
  • Wilhellmina
    Options
    Am I going to gain weight from that though?

Does gaining weight matter? What matters is your appearance and your body fat %. Weight don't mean anything in that regard.

^^^^ totally this

healthy bones and muscles are heavier than unhealthy ones. In everything other than body fat, heavier is healthier. Carrying too much body fat is not healthy, however, if your body fat percentage is in the healthy range, then being heavier because you gained muscle mass or increased your bone density is actually a good thing.

I agree with this! I haven't been loosing weight either, but became smaller, almost 2 inches in the waist, over 2 inches around the hips, so I know I have been gaining muscles instead, which is a good thing. Throw away that scale!
  • hevurxo
    hevurxo Posts: 27
    Options
    woah lets not throw around eating disorders just because I'm a bit fragile with personal things like that due to being bullied when younger, bit harsh.

im aiming for around 120lb and that is healthy for my age and height, I've already looked into all that, its just a struggle to get there but I'm gonna attempt to push my calorie intake bit by bit, do strength as well as cardio and also gonna attempt to drink more water, it might not have a massive effect but I know I don't get enough at the minute anyways.

thanks for everyone who was actually (nice) supportive and helpful
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    i can't believe this same kind of post keeps popping up.. "I eat under 1200 calories a day..why am I not losing?"
  • hevurxo
    Options
    Some people don't eat as much as others, I can't help it if I don't have the hunger and the need to eat like 1800 a day, and there's no way I'm going to force feed myself.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You ate so little and cos of that your metabolism has prolly slowed down quaite a bit. That's why you don't lose weight... 1000 cals is your maintenace now not deficit. To lose weight you should ate at calorie deficit, therefore lower than 1000 cals, but then again, that would not be healthy and you don't wanna do that...

Increase your calories slowy, like maybe 100 a week or something, until you reach 1590 a day. You need to speed up your metabolism again back to normal. Stick it for like a month. Then go back to 1200 and you will lose weight again 100%.
    How to increase? Well, if you have problems with feeling too full then ate something what will not make you full and still has a lot of calories. Usually it will be either fat or sugars. For example a glass of healthy orange juice have around 120 calories from good sugars. And it will not make you full at all, at least not for longer than 10 min. I bet you can drink juices. Or as another example - nuts. A handful of peanuts will have around 160 calories from good uinsaturated fat and will not make you full.

Um. I'm going with a big "no" on this one. #1 myth on MFP right now - eat more to lose more.

OP - you're very likely not tracking your calories correctly. Yes. I know your first reaction will be "but I am." You're not. This isn't meant as an attack, but we have all been there. Use the food scale.

ETA: And yes, engage in some strength training. At your age, you are in a great position to build healthy life-long habits. And frankly, IMHO, there is nothing hotter than a woman who can squat some heavy weights.
  • hevurxo
    Options
    I am using the food scale, but thank you for the advice^_^
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    woah lets not throw around eating disorders just because I'm a bit fragile with personal things like that due to being bullied when younger, bit harsh.

im aiming for around 120lb and that is healthy for my age and height, I've already looked into all that, its just a struggle to get there but I'm gonna attempt to push my calorie intake bit by bit, do strength as well as cardio and also gonna attempt to drink more water, it might not have a massive effect but I know I don't get enough at the minute anyways.

thanks for everyone who was actually (nice) supportive and helpful

other than your age and height, why did you choose 120lb? What a healthy weight for someone is depends on much more than this, such as frame size and limb proportions... that's why there's a range. Some people are healthier at the lower end of the range, others are healthier at the higher end of the range, and others are healthier right in the middle. It's not a range where you can just pick any weight you fancy within the range and expect everyone of that height to be healthy at that weight.

It's much better to base your goal weight on your body fat percentage, i.e. find out what it currently is, and what body fat percentage you need to be to look the way you want to look, and then work towards that body fat percentage, and let your weight fall where it will when you're at that body fat percentage. Gaining muscle will improve your body fat percentage, as will losing fat. But I'm guessing that the reason why you're struggling to lose more weight is because you're already at a healthy weight for you, and that 120lb is probably too low a weight for you to aim for, and that you need to switch focus towards improving your body fat percentage.... even if I'm wrong about your goal weight, i.e. that it is a good goal for you... then once you hit your ideal body fat percentage, you'll weigh that. What I'm saying is, your ideal weight is whatever you weigh when you hit your ideal body fat percentage.

Please read this blog for more information, and also to see pictures at women of different body fat percentages, so you can get an idea of what body fat percentage you want to be yourself, so you know what to aim for: http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • BeachIron
    Options
    I am using the food scale, but thank you for the advice^_^

For everything? Oils that you cook with? Do you drink alcohol? What about eating out at restaurants?

The tendency is to overestimate. There is no magic here.
  • hevurxo
    Options
    I'll look at the link, thank you! :-)
    and yeah every little thing, its a little ocd of mine to know exact amounts of everything haha :-)

And no I don't drink or go out to eat because of that reason
  • Wilhellmina
    Options

It was just a question, not an assumption and most def. no accusation :) But even tho you are fragile, the weight you are striving for is too low. That plus you don't want to open your diary made me just wonder. Besides I have been dealing with an eating disorder myself, nothing to be ashamed of, at least that's not how I feel about it.
  • Hildy_J
    Options

Why don't you just go the whole way and point and laugh at her. Jesus.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    I'll look at the link, thank you! :-)
    and yeah every little thing, its a little ocd of mine to know exact amounts of everything haha :-)

And no I don't drink or go out to eat because of that reason

If you want real help then please open your diary
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Why don't you just go the whole way and point and laugh at her. Jesus.

Um, no one is ridiculing her. It was a question. Overly sensitive much? You're also the one encouraging her to aim for an unhealthy lower weight, so I have to wonder.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You ate so little and cos of that your metabolism has prolly slowed down quaite a bit. That's why you don't lose weight... 1000 cals is your maintenace now not deficit. To lose weight you should ate at calorie deficit, therefore lower than 1000 cals, but then again, that would not be healthy and you don't wanna do that...

Increase your calories slowy, like maybe 100 a week or something, until you reach 1590 a day. You need to speed up your metabolism again back to normal. Stick it for like a month. Then go back to 1200 and you will lose weight again 100%.
    How to increase? Well, if you have problems with feeling too full then ate something what will not make you full and still has a lot of calories. Usually it will be either fat or sugars. For example a glass of healthy orange juice have around 120 calories from good sugars. And it will not make you full at all, at least not for longer than 10 min. I bet you can drink juices. Or as another example - nuts. A handful of peanuts will have around 160 calories from good uinsaturated fat and will not make you full.

sorry but this is dead wrong ...

also, please clarify good sugars vs bad sugars..

Just because eating more worked for you does not mean it will work for OP....how do you know she is just not overestimating her calories? If that is the case then this advice would cause OP to gain weight...
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You do not need to lose any weight. You already look very thin and you are in the normal weight range. Instead do toning of your body. Try fitnessblender.com and do total body workouts, pilates, and various bodyweight toning. you can also try blogilates for more exercise videos.

That's what I thought... Maybe the weight is not really there to lose... (I'm 5'2" and 140!) I could lose 20 pounds and be fine... lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is your work out regimen like?