New member 7lb lost 6 days on plan

Options
I absolutely love this app so far. I know I'm only 6 days in but it's really helping me keep focused And makes me more determined. I started on Monday 18th Jan And today is Saturday 23rd Jan and so have have lost 7lb. I'm on 1200 cals a day.

Replies

• urban287
    urban287 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • sassy_gyrl1
    sassy_gyrl1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Did you exercise also or just count calories your first week?
  • brianinchester
    brianinchester Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here. I started on 17th Jan, with a goal of 2030. I've lost approx 6lb. Kept on target (apart from going over on my birthday, when I had a few drinks). Also been doing 10 mins stretching exercises every day, and an hour's brisk walk most days. Just bought a pack of resistance bands, so will be doing more exercising with those. I want to lost 2st by mid April.
  • Pamdar67
    Pamdar67 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you for your accomplishments! I restarted my program two weeks a go and have lost 6 lbs!
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    It's awesome to have that first loss that is so motivating! I'm glad you like the app. :) I've been here a little over a year, and have lost 84 pounds (so far) and right now my losses have slowed to a crawl - but because I know what I'm putting in my body thanks to MFP, I can have the patience to wait through the plateaus. 1200 plus exercise calories can work if you are fairly small (like me, I'm 5' 3") but if you are taller and have more body mass you likely need more. So if you end up adjusting upwards that's fine. We want to retain muscle and preserve energy at the same time as fat is lost.

Good going to you and all the other newer folks on here, as well as those offering advice!
  • calamitypalace14
    calamitypalace14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Did you exercise also or just count calories your first week?

Thankyou. No excerscise, just counted calories
  • calamitypalace14
    Options
    solaregozy wrote: »
    Congrats! I am on my day 5 and also on 1200 cals, and 6 lbs down! Woot, we've got this!

Congrats to you to. We sure have 🥰
  • calamitypalace14
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's great that you're losing weight, and MFP *is* a wonderful tool for it. Not to be a wet blanket, but please be careful.

It's kind of normal to have some water weight drop (in addition to fat loss) right at first, so it's possible that loss rate may not continue quite as quickly. If it doesn't, that could even be a good thing (crazy as that may sound). I tried 1200 (plus eating all exercise calories!) at first, felt great and not hungry for a while, but then hit a wall. I got weak and fatigued, then it was multiple weeks to get back to normal, even though I corrected right away.

Losing any meaningful amount of weight is a long term proposition, weeks to months, so it's pretty important to keep things healthy and sustainable. I feel like the reality shows (Biggest Loser and whatnot) and the tabloid headlines ("Lose 20 Pounds in 30 days on the XYZ diet!!!") do us a disservice, when most mainstream authorities are suggesting that 1-2 pounds a week is about the maximum healthy, sustainable rate for someone with a fair amount to lose, unless under close medical supervision.

This may sound harsh, but try to think of me as your anxious internet auntie (I'm old enough! 😉) who really cares and wants to see you succeed and be healthy!

As background, I lost 50+ pounds here back in 2015 using MFP, have stayed at a healthy weight since (after 3 decades previously of obesity), and watched a lot of people come through the MFP Community during those 5+ years. Slow and steady tends to win the long-term "get it off and keep it off" race.

Wishing you continued success and good health!

Thankyou for your advice. Will keep this in mind. Well done on your journey 🤩
  • calamitypalace14
    Options
    Same here. I started on 17th Jan, with a goal of 2030. I've lost approx 6lb. Kept on target (apart from going over on my birthday, when I had a few drinks). Also been doing 10 mins stretching exercises every day, and an hour's brisk walk most days. Just bought a pack of resistance bands, so will be doing more exercising with those. I want to lost 2st by mid April.

Well done. Keep going. We can do this 💪
  • calamitypalace14
    Options
    urban287 wrote: »
    Good job!

Thank you
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!