Question for weightlifting experts!

Hi all, middle aged, post-menopausal woman here. After a long period of illness last summer/fall (chronic leukemia) where all I could do was lie around and lose muscle mass, I got back into a workout routine two months ago. I know that at my age I can’t really expect to gain a lot of muscle, so my main goal has been to regain my stamina and strength. I’m not new to strength training, and I was shocked to see how weak I had become. I’ve been doing a little cardio and a lot of dumbbell and body weight exercises and I feel so much stronger already! I’ve reached a point where I’m doing 3 sets of 15 reps with weight that is pretty hard by the third set. I’m getting bored, so here’s my question. Can I swap heavier weight with fewer reps/sets for the same effect? I.e. instead of say 10# 3x15, would 15# 2x10 give the same benefit? Thanks!

Replies

• alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Calculate total volume and go up from there. 10# x 3 x 15 = 450 volume. 15# x 2x 10 = 300. You actually would be doing less! I would at LEAST do (450/15)/2 = 15 reps!! So that's 15 reps at 15# for 2 sets. see?

volume = weightxrepsxsets. progressively overload Volume and you are set!
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Agree. Or keep it at 3 sets and decrease reps to 10.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    1. Glad to see your back. I went through a year hiatus myself.
    2. You can experience hypertrophy a bit more efficiently if you lost muscle mass recently or untrained.
    3. Bumping up amount and quality of protien is a reasonable idea as we put on years. We simply aren't as efficient of utilizing protien as we grow towards advanced years.
    4. Define strength as it pertains to you. There are a million definitions of strength.
    5. Same benefit? Maybe, maybe not. There certainly benefits to be had but I wouldn't worry if it is the same. Rather are we adhering to training and are we achieving adaptations towards our goal.

You cutting yourbvolume(reps × sets) in more than half and adding intensity. We have to look at how you are measuring your exertion. You may or may not be getting adequate volume or appropriate intensity with any combo.

So again let's define our goal with a bit more detail and work from there.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Is it really that simple? Wow, so easy! I had no idea there was a formula. Thank you! 😁💪👍
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited January 2021
    Hi all, middle aged, post-menopausal woman here. After a long period of illness last summer/fall (chronic leukemia) where all I could do was lie around and lose muscle mass, I got back into a workout routine two months ago. I know that at my age I can’t really expect to gain a lot of muscle, so my main goal has been to regain my stamina and strength. I’m not new to strength training, and I was shocked to see how weak I had become. I’ve been doing a little cardio and a lot of dumbbell and body weight exercises and I feel so much stronger already! I’ve reached a point where I’m doing 3 sets of 15 reps with weight that is pretty hard by the third set. I’m getting bored, so here’s my question. Can I swap heavier weight with fewer reps/sets for the same effect? I.e. instead of say 10# 3x15, would 15# 2x10 give the same benefit? Thanks!

Short answer is no...or maybe...or maybe not...being dependent on what you mean by the same benefit.

Without being getting overly complicated but admittedly a bit overly simplistic, different rep ranges illicit a different training response. IE...lower rep ranges like a 3x5 or 5x5 or 5/3/1 protocol are done at a high percentage of the maximum weight you can lift for that particular lift. Rep ranges of 3x8 or 3x10 or 3x12 are typical for a hypertrophy response...growing muscle and improving aesthetics. Rep ranges 12+ primarily trains muscular endurance.

I'm personally not a big fan of living in any one particular rep range unless you have some compelling reason to specialize (ie powerlifter, bodybuilder, etc)...that said, many off the shelf programs that can be very good, though not perfect, will have you doing just that...my guess would be because that's the easiest way to present a program to the masses without making it super complicated.

I work in different rep ranges depending on the lift. For example, I follow a 5x5 format for barbell squats and deadlifts...namely because these are the lifts that I want to be able to optimize strength given that from a functional standpoint, if I'm going to have to lift something heavy in the real world, it's probably going to be from off the ground. I do other lifts like bench, rows, lat pulls, leg press, etc typically 3x8 or 3x10. I don't do a ton of isolation work except on Fridays with my trainer which is where we tend to focus on higher rep ranges...usually 10-12 reps for things like curls, triceps and our full body lifts are usually 8-10 reps.

Note that my priorities for lifting are primarily remaining functionally strong as I age and from a vanity standpoint, having a reasonably good physique for a middle aged guy. I'm certainly not looking to be a competitive powerlifter or bodybuilder or anything like that.

• alexmose2
    Take note of your fatigue levels too. Too much too soon will have you feeling lethargic and actually move LESS during the day. Feel free to message with questions.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Everyone else gave you the technical answers. I'm incapable of that.

I'm just in to comment on the bolded. If I may be frank: Nonsense.

Progress may be relatively slower as we age (and the things Chief mentions are factors, too, obviously) but IMU we can gain strength and mass at pretty much any age. The specifics vary between you & me, but my body changed *a lot* (including muscularity) when I got active in my mid-40s, after cancer treatment (breast, stage III), including chemo-induced early menopause, *and* an anti-hormonal drug regimen for 7.5 years that was more like hyper-menopause.

Work smart, work hard, get protein, fuel your exercise. You'll make gains.

This. You can definitely increase muscle as a middle aged woman recovering from a serious illness.

I feel like the goal here should be to up the weight, then increase reps until you are at your previous level, then up the weight again, because that’s how lifting works. You don’t just lower the reps and increase the weight and stay there, because the benefits of lifting come from progression.
  • 0somuchbetter0

Everyone else gave you the technical answers. I'm incapable of that.

I'm just in to comment on the bolded. If I may be frank: Nonsense.

Progress may be relatively slower as we age (and the things Chief mentions are factors, too, obviously) but IMU we can gain strength and mass at pretty much any age. The specifics vary between you & me, but my body changed *a lot* (including muscularity) when I got active in my mid-40s, after cancer treatment (breast, stage III), including chemo-induced early menopause, *and* an anti-hormonal drug regimen for 7.5 years that was more like hyper-menopause.

Work smart, work hard, get protein, fuel your exercise. You'll make gains.

Thank you for this! Honestly, I’ve been feeling great thanks to ongoing immunotherapy and monoclonal antibody treatment (my cancer is chronic, therefore no cure, but I will manage it with drugs on and off for the rest of my life). The *only* positive side of having been so sick last year is that I dropped 30lbs effortlessly, which was needed. At my new weight I feel and look good, except for the weakness and the flab! Your post gives me hope that I’ll be able to show off my new muscles when the weather gets warmer 😁💪
  • alexmose2
    Look up Lori Shaw. She lifted through her chemo treatment.
  • 0somuchbetter0

cwolfman13 wrote: »

Note that my priorities for lifting are primarily remaining functionally strong as I age and from a vanity standpoint, having a reasonably good physique for a middle aged guy. I'm certainly not looking to be a competitive powerlifter or bodybuilder or anything like that.

This is me exactly—functionally strong. I don’t want to be a weak hunchbacked old lady. I want to be a “damn you look good for 80!” old lady. Ha!
  • 0somuchbetter0

This. You can definitely increase muscle as a middle aged woman recovering from a serious illness.

I feel like the goal here should be to up the weight, then increase reps until you are at your previous level, then up the weight again, because that’s how lifting works. You don’t just lower the reps and increase the weight and stay there, because the benefits of lifting come from progression.

I was thinking I could lower the reps bc it’s so boring! 3 sets of 15 reps times ~20 exercises takes a long time! 😆
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    1. Glad to see your back. I went through a year hiatus myself.
    2. You can experience hypertrophy a bit more efficiently if you lost muscle mass recently or untrained.
    3. Bumping up amount and quality of protien is a reasonable idea as we put on years. We simply aren't as efficient of utilizing protien as we grow towards advanced years.
    4. Define strength as it pertains to you. There are a million definitions of strength.
    5. Same benefit? Maybe, maybe not. There certainly benefits to be had but I wouldn't worry if it is the same. Rather are we adhering to training and are we achieving adaptations towards our goal.

You cutting yourbvolume(reps × sets) in more than half and adding intensity. We have to look at how you are measuring your exertion. You may or may not be getting adequate volume or appropriate intensity with any combo.

So again let's define our goal with a bit more detail and work from there.

I had missed this post earlier. Thank you for all the great points! My goal, as I mentioned earlier, is to be active and strong as I get older (and, let’s face it, sicker). Frankly, other than my cancer, I’ve never been healthier. I’m at a healthy weight, I don’t smoke or do drugs, I drink very little, I eat well, and I’m pretty active. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I feel great. I want to take advantage of this time to get as fit as possible, bc I know there will be times in the future that I won’t be able to climb a flight of stairs or walk around the block...until my next round of treatments, which will make me feel great again...etc. ad nauseam
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited January 2021

This is me exactly—functionally strong. I don’t want to be a weak hunchbacked old lady. I want to be a “damn you look good for 80!” old lady. Ha!

I'm going to risk telling you something you probably already know, just in case: Strength gain is pretty fast, mass gain is slower. (Things can also sort of "tighten up" in appearance, before mass gain.)

Starting from beginner-hood or after a long break, central nervous system (CNS) adaptation improves fairly rapidly, basically better recruiting and using existing muscle fibers. That expresses itself as strength increase, but doesn't necessarily require added mass. When I took a "strength training for women" adult ed class from a local competitive power lifter, women new to lifting were seeing strength gains, meaningful to them in their daily lives, within weeks.

Increased mass in meaningful amounts comes along later, if progressivity continues (along with the other preconditions mentioned).

The "tightening up" effect I understand less well, but I think at least part of it is the water retention in muscle tissue related to the need for repair from the productive stress of lifting. I'm pretty sure the firming is a possible effect, though I don't really understand the mechanism. I think the effect is part of what makes some people think they've gained mass in too-short time periods to have really gained much: It can give a more muscular look.

I was thinking I could lower the reps bc it’s so boring! 3 sets of 15 reps times ~20 exercises takes a long time! 😆

Twenty exercises seems like really a lot. Others will know specifics better than I, but there are respected programs with markedly fewer exercises than that.
  • alexmose2

I'm going to risk telling you something you probably already know, just in case: Strength gain is pretty fast, mass gain is slower. (Things can also sort of "tighten up" in appearance, before mass gain.)

Starting from beginner-hood or after a long break, central nervous system (CNS) adaptation improves fairly rapidly, basically better recruiting and using existing muscle fibers. That expresses itself as strength increase, but doesn't necessarily require added mass. When I took a "strength training for women" adult ed class from a local competitive power lifter, women new to lifting were seeing strength gains, meaningful to them in their daily lives, within weeks.

Increased mass in meaningful amounts comes along later, if progressivity continues (along with the other preconditions mentioned).

The "tightening up" effect I understand less well, but I think at least part of it is the water retention in muscle tissue related to the need for repair from the productive stress of lifting. I'm pretty sure the firming is a possible effect, though I don't really understand the mechanism. I think the effect is part of what makes some people think they've gained mass in too-short time periods to have really gained much: It can give a more muscular look.

Twenty exercises seems like really a lot. Others will know specifics better than I, but there are respected programs with markedly fewer exercises than that.

In addition to the "tightening up", this will cause weight in scale to increase by a tad. For me, when I lift heavy or move into a heavy block, I see my scale go up by 2-3lbs in water, glycogen stores, etc. It is NOT fat. Keep this in mind if you look at the scales after increasing weight in workouts.
  • AnnPT77
    alexmose2 wrote: »

In addition to the "tightening up", this will cause weight in scale to increase by a tad. For me, when I lift heavy or move into a heavy block, I see my scale go up by 2-3lbs in water, glycogen stores, etc. It is NOT fat. Keep this in mind if you look at the scales after increasing weight in workouts.

Yes, thanks. I missed saying that. I gain about 2 pounds every time I (re-)start lifting, hang onto it as long as I'm consistent (though I usually do 3x a week, not daily), drop it again if I stop or take a long break.

Yeah, I'm a lackadaisical lifter. I have no business posting in Gaining Weight and Body Building. 😆
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

I had missed that it was 20 different exercises! That is a lot! Probably some of them fall into the “majoring in the minors” category and could be replaced by fewer compound movements.
  • 0somuchbetter0

I had missed that it was 20 different exercises! That is a lot! Probably some of them fall into the “majoring in the minors” category and could be replaced by fewer compound movements.

hmm...Well, today was 20 exercises because I had the time. Usually it's about 12 or so. I'm trying to hit all the major muscle groups and I alternate arms/back and core/legs every other day with a rest day every now and then. I'm no expert on compound exercises...I'm no expert on any of this, actually. I've based my current workout and tweaks on several years of working with personal trainers on and off, a couple of books, one or two websites, and the limited equipment I have in my basement. And great advice from you kind people!

Until covid numbers go down, I'm not setting foot in a gym!

• AnnPT77

hmm...Well, today was 20 exercises because I had the time. Usually it's about 12 or so. I'm trying to hit all the major muscle groups and I alternate arms/back and core/legs every other day with a rest day every now and then. I'm no expert on compound exercises...I'm no expert on any of this, actually. I've based my current workout and tweaks on several years of working with personal trainers on and off, a couple of books, one or two websites, and the limited equipment I have in my basement. And great advice from you kind people!

Until covid numbers go down, I'm not setting foot in a gym!

Have you checked out the local light reading on the subject already:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Unless/until someone expert like Chief may offer more personalized advice, that may helpful.