Beginner video strength work out programs?

Options
I plan on starting to workout at home using online videos (or DVDs). Cardio seems easy to plan but I'm really feeling overwhelmed with how to pick/plan which strength training exercises to do. As a complete beginner I don't want to have to determine which areas to do which days and combine multiple videos from different sources.

Does anyone have any recommendations for videos that have a beginner program where I just blindly follow! Just to get going and then I can branch out a bit as I improve.

I've managed to lose 40lbs since last summer (another ~30 to go) with diet (CICO) and no exercise. I had a knee injury which made me extremely sedentary. Now that my knee is better and I've lost some of the weight I feel ready to start adding exercise however even some beginner workout videos are too much for me so I'm in pretty poor shape right now.

Oh, and I have only basic equipment like hand weights, mat etc.

Replies

• nittle89
    nittle89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender has a FBStrong program. I think it's 4 weeks and uses basic equipment if I recall correctly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Sydney's summer time fine 2.0 was pretty good. You can modify as needed

There is a whole month's worth of videos on this playlist, but I think you need to go to her YouTube channel to see the whole program.
  • SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for.

The Fitness Blender videos I clicked on look good and they have various programs to choose from but I think I'll try the summer time fine 2.0 since each video has the day number which keeps it simple! and it's free.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    Sydney does a new program every month. If you like summer time fine, I would suggest starting her next program at the beginning of the next month when you're done. She posts the new workout for the day every day at 5am. And always free!!!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Earlier this month I downloaded FitOn app. It is free. When you download the app, you answer some profile questions and the app sets up a workout program for you.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options

The Fitness Blender videos I clicked on look good and they have various programs to choose from but I think I'll try the summer time fine 2.0 since each video has the day number which keeps it simple! and it's free.

Fitness Blender is excellent. Highly recommend. Simple, easy to follow format, genuine, none of the fake tans and cheerleading of other fitness videos. You can follow a program or follow their free videos.
  • swiftgirlm
    swiftgirlm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    NTC free app, choose Betina Gozo's Kick Off programme. Great instruction, simple moves, but effectively builds strength.
  • SquirrelBrain
    Options
    @tgillies003 Turns out I already had Fiton installed on my phone :D I didn't realise it had programs too.

Thanks @swiftgirlm I downloaded the NTC app and that Kick Off program looks awesome and I would definitely never have found that on my own.

Thanks everyone for these suggestions! I'm clearing a space to workout this afternoon and plan on starting tomorrow morning!
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    carakirkey wrote: »

Fitness Blender is excellent. Highly recommend. Simple, easy to follow format, genuine, none of the fake tans and cheerleading of other fitness videos. You can follow a program or follow their free videos.

Summertime fine is a good program. Don't hate on Sydney just because she's tan and super positive.
  • SquirrelBrain
    Options
    Update - after starting a few of these videos it turns out my current fitness level is even more beginner than I thought!

A lot of that is due to my recovering knee and my wrist tendonitis which has flared up due to working from home. The latter makes it really hard to do anything that requires a push up position with the weight on my hands.

So in case anyone else is starting out with a low fitness level and looking for a good program I throughly recommend The Body Project on youtube which has lots of free videos (they have paid too but so far I've only tried the free ones). You can create a free account on their website and it has programs that tell you what to do each day. The beginner one I've been doing over the last week has been about 30 minutes of low-impact, cardio mixed with strength.

It looks like they have intermediate videos too but I haven't looked at them. I find the instructors pretty motivating and not at all annoying!

• whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    HASfit on YouTube has plenty of beginner friendly workouts.
  • SquirrelBrain
    Options
    @whoami67 Yes, the HASfit videos are great, however I was specifically looking for something with a free program that puts the videos into order and tells you which to do together/on which days. That seems to be a upgrade/paid feature for the HASfit videos.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Use YouTube itself to make your own play list.

I like chopping and changing 10-15 min workouts at the moment. So I have a play list that holds them all but I also have day specific short playlists for the days I don’t want to decide. I just hit play, cast to the TV (a thing I only learnt this month) and they play one after the other.

I’ve used Hasfit for years (since he used to do them in a corner of his living room).
    Some of the nice short workout routines that I like to use can be found on YouTube at ‘Fabulous 50’s’ and and ‘Funfitt’ with Susanna Yabar. Don’t be put off by Susan Yabar, the short routines are really simple. Usually 4-5 exercises for one body part repeated 3 times. I like the music and locations too, makes me feel I’m on holiday.

Cheers, h.

PS I’m so glad this thread reactivated. I liked the Sidney video you posted @DancingMoosie then promptly lost it. Now it, and a couple of others, is in my playlist.

PPS. Sorry I couldn’t attach links, my wifi went out as I was posting. Eek!
  • SquirrelBrain
    Options
    The Susanna Yabar videos look fun. I enjoy these short 5-10 minutes videos since I can squeeze them in throughout the day and it's good break from sitting working at my computer all day.

I need to spend some time playing around with youtube functionality - I think creating playlists would really help me since I was having a hard time organizing all the great video recommendations and finding them when I wanted them or just losing them altogether!

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I’ve only recently started building my own little lists and things on YouTube.

I generally dislike working out at home but I’m now bored with what I have been doing so decided to branch out. 10-15 min is the best I can do before wanting to switch to something else at the moment so I am just wandering along.
    Someday I’ll have more than the attention span of a gnat and then I’ll do a month of Sidney Cummings.

For now it is just keep moving, stay happy.

Cheers, h.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bodyfit by Amy! She has many workouts that are challenging, but even better she has really great instructional and early beginner workouts. All on youtube. I would recommend just working through the beginner playlist, I really enjoyed it!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    BeachBodyondemand (BOD) — CAD120/year. They are constantly trying to sell you early bird access to programs, gear, supplements, etc. I don’t buy any of that. If you are the kind of person who might succumb to the pressure sales tactics, then it can be expensive. For me, it’s $120 a year. What I like about BeachBody is they have a wide variety of programs. All have a calendar that you follow. So, no thinking required on my part. I pick a program and follow the calendar. If you don’t like the program, that’s ok, there are plenty of others available. Many of the programs have ‘real time’ versions, which means every workout is different. So, a three week program will have 21 unique workouts.

I started with BeachBody four years ago with PIYO. It is a body weight only program. I’ve progressed since then and am now doing an advanced program and doing chest presses with 20 lb dumbbells.

They have an even easier starting program called You V2.

All of their programs also have a modifier.