Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My daughter laughs when I weigh ice cream. But it's because I don't weigh it in a bowl. I buy pints, then I weigh it before eating and get the total weight. Then I'll eat a little and reweigh. I'll keep doing this until I've eaten one serving then recap the pint and put it away.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And do you always use the same ice cream or do you use a generic 50% weight to volume or some other estimated constant for the conversion between weight and volume given that most I've creams weight much less than 1g per 1ml and that it does vary between brands (ask me how I know this about ice cream and whipped cream and real whip type substitutes 🤣🤣🤣)

Quick estimate I use is total weight to volume minus a pre estimate of the tare weight of the container based in past/similar item measurements, which I suspect is similar to what you do!

Oh, yes, op, use your scale. Explanation, if asked, is more precise calorie counting. Past that room mates either live with things that bug them, or don't and move on! 😘
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Scales are also used all the time by chefs to accurately portion ingredients for recipes ... I actually received mine as a vintage hand me down ... looks nice and I use it for all things.

No one in my fam or any house guests have ever thought it was weird... but I’m also surrounded by people who love to cook 👩🏼‍🍳...
  • BobVaj
    BobVaj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    They will question or ask you why but give them your reason they will understand. For remember it's your lifestyle. Do it for yourself. For me it became a normal around my roommates. Funny thing is, sometimes I'll see them used the scale themselves lol. Let's just say it comes in handy.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I spent the summer sharing a house with 3 housemates. I just put my scale in an unused drawer when I moved in. The first time the roomies saw me use it I just shrugged and said, "it helps me keep track of what I eat". I showed them the app, that was literally the end of the conversation.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    My family never says anything about it. Seeing as how I used a food scale before I started losing weight for cooking and baking accuracy, it doesn't look or seem strange.

Somewhere around here I still have an old analog scale with a bowl on top that I used all the time for baking.

My father actually bought me my digital scale. I thought it was a weird gift at the time and it sat unused in its box for many years, until I started caring about protein and now it lives on my kitchen counter. No one has ever commented on it but if they did I would just explain that the accuracy of my protein intake is important to me and leave it at that.

I got so used to weighing my food that I bought myself a small portable scale to use when travelling. I think it might be a drug scale :D
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    I think if you don't make a big deal of it, usually other people won't either.

Meaning if you just use it without making a fuss or drama or lecture about it and answer genuine questions with a basic 'it helps me keep track of things' type answer, then anyone living with you just let's you get on with it.

They may or may not think it is weird but that doesn't matter as long as they just leave you to it.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    It’s really no ones business what you do with your food!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Allow yourself to be a little weird ;) Hopefully your new roomie is more supportive than your ex.

My explanation to people is "I'm not very good at estimating weights and amounts."
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I weigh things around hubby and he does sometimes. I won't do it around my grandkids (age 10-14). I don't think it is something they should be concerned with now.

actually it can be an amazing way to teach healthy eating habits, correct portion sizes, and moderation.

This. 100% this. I wasn't taught any healthy eating skills growing up. Nothing about proper proportions. I always wonder if I had been taught those skills, if I wouldn't have ballooned up to 320 pounds.

I love to bake, so it's not uncommon for my kids to see my weighing stuff. My husband and I also weigh everything we eat. We are open with the kids. Our focus with them is building a healthy meal and being active outside. They know calories are a source of energy, but they also know that for right now, their focus is on eating healthy and being active.
  • cnurenasue
    cnurenasue Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food (just measure) but my daughter does, even the protein she puts into shakes. It actually seems cleaner (no measuring cups/spoons to wash) She is converting me! LOL!
  • gillexplores
    gillexplores Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Everyone already said a bunch of great things, and as @kshama2001 said - sending hugs.

The only thing I didn’t see is that it is very common in Europe, for example, to use a scale for cooking and baking. It’s very North American to use measuring cups for everything.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Yeah, I used a scale for baking pre weight loss even in the US. I didn't for cooking, but I also didn't use measuring cups, so for me measuring cups don't seem somehow less fussy than weighing. I did and do sometimes use a cup measure for liquids.

The idea of trying to measure, say, onions or apples by cup (let alone chicken) seems way more annoying than just weighing it, which is easy as part of the chopping process for many ingredients, or the cooking process otherwise. I didn't like messing with (and didn't mess with) cups and teaspoons and such when cooking before, and find weighing to be easier than trying to do that. I do get estimating lower cal things as 1 medium apple or 1 medium zucchini or 1 large egg (esp since many eggs are pretty standardized--I get less standard farm eggs but can eyeball them well) and so on, and do that on occasion too, but weighing can be quite educational at first.