IBS

What helps IBS if it's triggered by severe stress and that's what a person is going through with no way out for awhile??

Any and all suggestions welcome; thank you!

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    My family struggles with this a lot... My mom in particular. She started taking an otc supplement called fibre 4 and says it's made a huge difference.

https://www.londondrugs.com/the-right-fibre4-ibs-intestinal-discomfort---unflavoured---150g/L0211802.html

It was recommended by another friend that also had ibs and swore by it.

Not sure if it'd help,but might be worth checking into?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    My mom's IBS is aggravated by stress. During high stress times she has to be more rigid about her diet, for example, eating foods with insoluble fiber after foods with soluble fiber (so salads and some veggies at the end of the meal.)

She finds these sites (same company) to be a good resource and uses their acacia powder daily:

https://www.helpforibs.com/footer/treatments.asp

https://www.heatherstummycare.com/p/suplmts_acacia/tummy-fiber-acacia-senegal-pouch/
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    Can anything be done to mitigate the stress? Since that is the underlying cause, I'd be looking for ways to treat that as well as the resulting symptoms.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    I don't want to pry, so don't answer if you don't want to, but is it primarily IBS-C(onstipation), or IBS-D(iarrhea), a mix, or mainly discomfort/pain without either of those?

I think the suggestion to consider stress reduction techniques is key, under the circumstances, but other suggestions would potentially depend on the predominant symptom set.

Truth in advertising: I have more experience with IBS-C, so might have more thoughts on that line.

Either way, hoping you (or whoever you're asking on behalf of) find a resolution!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't want to pry, so don't answer if you don't want to, but is it primarily IBS-C(onstipation), or IBS-D(iarrhea), a mix, or mainly discomfort/pain without either of those?

I think the suggestion to consider stress reduction techniques is key, under the circumstances, but other suggestions would potentially depend on the predominant symptom set.

Truth in advertising: I have more experience with IBS-C, so might have more thoughts on that line.

Either way, hoping you (or whoever you're asking on behalf of) find a resolution!

Her problems include both IBS-C and D, unfortunately, and stomach pain. Her stress will be with her for some time; her dh is dying and Hospice really came at her this week with some very uncompassionate bluntness from a couple nurses, which started the whole thing again. She hadn't had symptoms for so long. :( Thankfully she had a visit with a social worker today which helped her immensely, I think. Plus she found her script for Librex(sp?)which helps her too.
    Also unfortunately, when stressed she turns to too many processed foods for comfort which doesn't help.

Thank you so much for all the links; I'll check them out!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Her problems include both IBS-C and D, unfortunately, and stomach pain. Her stress will be with her for some time; her dh is dying and Hospice really came at her this week with some very uncompassionate bluntness from a couple nurses, which started the whole thing again. She hadn't had symptoms for so long. :( Thankfully she had a visit with a social worker today which helped her immensely, I think. Plus she found her script for Librex(sp?)which helps her too.
    Also unfortunately, when stressed she turns to too many processed foods for comfort which doesn't help.

I'm so sorry to hear about that. I had physical problems around the time of my husband's illness/death, too, so I can understand a bit, even if not fully grasp how another feels.

Caring friends and family mean a lot, honestly: The phone call, email, even the old-school mailed or dropped off note on paper. Small gifts of food (there are healthy comfort foods, yes?), cozy things (lap robe, slippers, little indulgences of whatever type) can be good. This was far beyond those small things, but one of Ken's students brought him a lap-sized quilt in the hospital, and it was a comfort to me, too, when he was gone. (Since it was handmade, I offered it back to her at the funeral, but she wanted me to keep it, and I was grateful for it. It's still hanging on the head of my bed today.) Even as an agnostic myself, I appreciated religious' friends offers of prayers, as an expression of caring.

Hard to find time, in that situation, for the normal stress reduction things: Meditation, mild exercise, prayer, hot bath, journaling, and that sort of thing.

More nuts and bolts level, sometimes pro- and pre-biotics are helpful. Things like yogurt, kefir, raw (unpasteurized) sauerkraut, miso, kim chi, kombucha, etc. on the probiotic side; the higher inulin veggies and other fiber sources plus some other phytonutrients are the pre-biotics (stuff the probiotic guys like to eat). Some good common ones are onions, garlic, apples, jerusalem artichokes, oats, barley, asparagus, jicama, leeks, flaxseed, cocoa . . . .

On the IBS-C front, adequate hydration was also helpful to me (and one can forget to drink under stressful circumstances; easy to be . . . detached?), and exercise (middle-moving, especially), adequate healthy fats (nuts, avocados, seeds, olive oil . . . .).

I'm so sorry she's going through this: So very difficult, and at an already stressful time!
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    edited January 2021
    may i suggest this naturopathic remedy for anxiety? my doc calls them anguish drops. they really help and you can buy them at whole foods or from a naturopath. i think you can buy them online just make sure its a reputable online provider. these will definately help manage some of her anxiety which i am sure is part of her mix.
    https://www.drugs.com/otc/123250/dr-reckeweg-r47-neuroglobin-combination-product.html

they cost next to nothing and last a really long time. i skip the mixing into water and just drop them on my tongue and take a swig of water after. 15 drops as needed. and rescue remedy to take a few times a day to help keep an overall calmness. (as much as possible anyway in her circumstances)
    best thoughts and wishes to your friend.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Thank you so much for all the advice and insight.

@AnnPT77, she normally eats those foods and was walking every day but all that has been put on the back burner lately. Even the water. :( It's one of those situations where you care more about the other person and doing what's needed for them, rather than for yourself. :(

I'm sorry for your loss Ann, watching a loved one suffer an illness that eventually takes their life, can be long and devastating, not to mention heart-breaking.

It bothers me when *I* see my BIL deteriorate, I cannot imagine what's it's doing to her. :( Being together 57 years is quite a feat and poof..... :( Thankfully she's been surrounded by mostly 100% support but all it took was a couple thoughtless comments and she hit rock bottom. Hopefully, she'll get back to where she was before that episode and be able to care for him until he's done.

Just a little added vent of what the rude nurses told her: 'it's going to only be 3-4 days so call the funeral home now'. And when she called them, she was terribly upset, they told her it wasn't necessary to call yet. :neutral: Why put a person through added grief and torture when it wasn't even needed???

Thank you all again! <3
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2021
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I'm so sorry to hear about that. I had physical problems around the time of my husband's illness/death, too, so I can understand a bit, even if not fully grasp how another feels.

Caring friends and family mean a lot, honestly: The phone call, email, even the old-school mailed or dropped off note on paper. Small gifts of food (there are healthy comfort foods, yes?), cozy things (lap robe, slippers, little indulgences of whatever type) can be good. This was far beyond those small things, but one of Ken's students brought him a lap-sized quilt in the hospital, and it was a comfort to me, too, when he was gone. (Since it was handmade, I offered it back to her at the funeral, but she wanted me to keep it, and I was grateful for it. It's still hanging on the head of my bed today.) Even as an agnostic myself, I appreciated religious' friends offers of prayers, as an expression of caring.

Hard to find time, in that situation, for the normal stress reduction things: Meditation, mild exercise, prayer, hot bath, journaling, and that sort of thing.

More nuts and bolts level, sometimes pro- and pre-biotics are helpful. Things like yogurt, kefir, raw (unpasteurized) sauerkraut, miso, kim chi, kombucha, etc. on the probiotic side; the higher inulin veggies and other fiber sources plus some other phytonutrients are the pre-biotics (stuff the probiotic guys like to eat). Some good common ones are onions, garlic, apples, jerusalem artichokes, oats, barley, asparagus, jicama, leeks, flaxseed, cocoa . . . .

On the IBS-C front, adequate hydration was also helpful to me (and one can forget to drink under stressful circumstances; easy to be . . . detached?), and exercise (middle-moving, especially), adequate healthy fats (nuts, avocados, seeds, olive oil . . . .).

I'm so sorry she's going through this: So very difficult, and at an already stressful time!

This is good advice, but being celiac and knowing so many women (through my wife's fibromyalgia, which usually involves IBS as well) that have had digestive issues, many can't do a lot of fiber or prebiotics. Their microbiome is in such bad shape that adding prebiotics, which is like nature's fertilizer, can make things worse before it gets better.

Sometimes, a period of doing an elimination diet (like a FODMAP diet, which is NOT meant to be permanent) along with getting in more polyphenols, reducing gluten and processed foods, along with colostrum and L-Glutamine, can help to get the point where they can do more fiber/prebiotics and probiotics. Many can handle green bananas, which are a fantastic source of resistant starch, when they can't do things like garlic or onions.

My wife had awful IBS for years. I also think green juicing helped her a lot. Cabbage juice kills H Pylori infections. Historically, they gave it to prison inmates that suffered from ulcers (caused by H Pylori). We did cabbage, celery and cucumber juices mixed with just tiny bits of fruit for a few years and I truly think that turned around my wife. She can eat anything now but dairy without issues and she eats tons of fiber and prebiotics without issue now.