French children don't snack

Options
15678911»

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    I have been calling my afternoon snack 'le gouter' for years. It means to taste. It is desperately needed IMO. I allow 200 calories. In the old days the French children traditionally had a sort of baguette chocolate sandwich. That would take me over! I'm sure these days it's fruit or a yoghourt. I often have Ryvita with PB2, or allow myself a much desired piece of cheese. Or a wrap with light Philly. Yum! I wouldn't get through without it as I go very hypo.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sorry I live in France and this is completely UNTRUE. They have a snack every day! They even have a name for it!

It is called their "4pm" or "Le goûter" because this is the day all French children typically have a snack. It usually is anywhere from "petit pain" which is a chocolate crissoant type pastry to yogurt and things like that. Even the adults still tend to have one. It even has a wiki entry!

Le goûter

"l était traditionnellement constitué d'une tartine de pain avec du beurre et de la confiture ou avec un morceau de chocolat, ou bien encore d'un pain au chocolat il y a cinquante ans. Aujourd'hui les enfants prennent des gâteaux. "

It traditionally consisted of a bread with butter and jam or with a piece of chocolate, or even more chocolate bread 50 years ago. Today kids have cookies/cakes.

Yeah sounds real healthy. /sarcasm
    I live in France and some of it may be healthier.. but I find that actually the truth is there is so little choice unlike in the US that food actually becomes boring and that makes eating less interesting.