Me, a vegetarian = ALL THE CARBS AND DAIRY

I would love to link up with any fellow vegetarians who find themselves just eating some form of bread and cheese for every meal. Anyone have any daily meal suggestions that do not include heaps of carbs smothered in dairy?

Replies

• OliveSalt
    OliveSalt Posts: 47 Member
    Thanks for the reply. I dont think carbs and dairy are essentially bad things either, I just am super aware of the patterns I fall into when I go to make dinner every night. Starch and cheese sound amazing when I'm hungry, but feel terrible when I'm full.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited February 2021
    Thanks for the reply. I dont think carbs and dairy are essentially bad things either, I just am super aware of the patterns I fall into when I go to make dinner every night. Starch and cheese sound amazing when I'm hungry, but feel terrible when I'm full.

My experience is that it's hard for me to get enough protein if I over-rely on most grain-based starches plus cheese. There are a few somewhat protein-efficient cheeses, but most are relatively high in fat for the amount of protein. The grains, though they have a role in good nutrition, are relatively high in carbs (even if high-fiber complex carbs) for the amount of protein. Though I eat both, overdoing either tends to use up calories before I hit my desired protein goal (100g daily, in maintenance). Nuts and seeds are nice, too, but have that same "high fat for amount of protein" profile.

On the dairy side, I tend to use proportionately more plain nonfat Greek yogurt, nonfat milk, cottage cheese, and include smaller amounts of cheese (I do eat some daily - tasty!). Usually the basis of meals is legumes (including things like chickpea, lentil, pea or edamame pasta) or soy foods (regular tofu, smoked tofu, tempeh, primarily, in my case), as the primary protein component, with maybe some cheese as a pleasant add in, as in the meals I suggested.

I'm not a huge bread person, generally. Most of the time, I'd prefer to include heaps of veggies in a meal (even frozen ones at times) vs. something like rice or bread (just a taste/satiation preference on my part). I don't enjoy most faux meats, nor protein powder/bars, so I don't eat them. Again, that's taste preference, not that I think there's anything wrong with them in theory. Many vegetarians use seitan regularly, and it's a potential good protein source, but I've never quite found a happy niche for it in my eating, so I rarely buy it.

It also helps to use tasty things in other roles that have some protein, like the peanut/almond powders, nutritional yeast, miso, and that sort of thing. That's also where small portions of nuts and seeds come in, for me, too: Adding some crunch, some MUFA/PUFA and Omega-3 fats, some rich flavor, with a tiny bit more protein riding along.

Have you been a vegetarian for long? I found that it took me a while at first to find a happy groove that got me good variety, plenty of protein, and that I enjoyed. (I've been vegetarian for going on 47 years, so there's been time for some adaptation. ๐Ÿ˜‰)

Best wishes, and bon appetit!
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Check out running on plants on youtube she has lots of yummy ideas and I am not a veggie or vegan ๐Ÿ˜„ She taught me I could sautee my onions and veggies in just a little bit of water it is great for me because my gallbladder is weak and to much oil really bothers it.

LORD JESUS bless ๐Ÿ’Ÿ
  • OliveSalt
    Ive been a vegetarian for 16 years now, and honestly the reason why I havent sought out a better balance until now is because Im pretty content just having the relish tray :D. I'm a low maintenence veggie...
  • AnnPT77
    Ive been a vegetarian for 16 years now, and honestly the reason why I havent sought out a better balance until now is because Im pretty content just having the relish tray :D. I'm a low maintenence veggie...

Take it from a li'l ol' lady (who has a few scars): Sooner or later, it's pretty likely that nutrition will become important. Sometimes, nutrition a few years ago suddenly becomes important, but there's no fixing it retroactively. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ
  • CinnamonSnap
    CinnamonSnap Posts: 11 Member
    I would love to link up with any fellow vegetarians who find themselves just eating some form of bread and cheese for every meal. Anyone have any daily meal suggestions that do not include heaps of carbs smothered in dairy?

Hi, I am pescatarain I am also trying to figure out how to avoid carbs and a bunch of dairy lol I would like to let you know that most cheeses are not vegetarian such as cheddar, parmesan etc I only found this out a short while ago and it really surprised me, a lot of cheeses are made with animal rennet which is taken from an animals stomach lining.. it can be really hard to not eat a bunch of dairy and bread I've found it helps to add a lot of things like avocado, eggs, and veggies. One of my personal favorites breakfast is scrabbled eggs with a bunch of veggies tossed in its really helped me I wish u luck ๐Ÿ˜
  • AnnPT77

Hi, I am pescatarain I am also trying to figure out how to avoid carbs and a bunch of dairy lol I would like to let you know that most cheeses are not vegetarian such as cheddar, parmesan etc I only found this out a short while ago and it really surprised me, a lot of cheeses are made with animal rennet which is taken from an animals stomach lining.. it can be really hard to not eat a bunch of dairy and bread I've found it helps to add a lot of things like avocado, eggs, and veggies. One of my personal favorites breakfast is scrabbled eggs with a bunch of veggies tossed in its really helped me I wish u luck ๐Ÿ˜

These days, it's often on the labels (whether it's animal rennet or not, I mean). There's a good local maker here who sells at my favorite farmers market, uses only vegetarian-friendly rennet.
  • CinnamonSnap
    CinnamonSnap Posts: 11 Member

These days, it's often on the labels (whether it's animal rennet or not, I mean). There's a good local maker here who sells at my favorite farmers market, uses only vegetarian-friendly rennet.

That's really cool and yes it often doesn't tell you whether it's made with animal rennet or not thats why I've started researching the cheeses and brand before I but them ๐Ÿ˜Š at my local farmers market they don't sell any vegetarian cheese sadly I would love to buy some tho its always nice to buy from local companies.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I cut out bread for breakfast by putting half a cup of black beans, with chopped spinach (and sometimes another vegetable) with two eggs and scramble it. I eat that almost every day, usually with an avocado with lime juice on the side. I open a can of black beans and keep them in the fridge to use all week.
    Thats one meal anyway.
  • OliveSalt
    I cut out bread for breakfast by putting half a cup of black beans, with chopped spinach (and sometimes another vegetable) with two eggs and scramble it. I eat that almost every day, usually with an avocado with lime juice on the side. I open a can of black beans and keep them in the fridge to use all week.
    Thats one meal anyway.

Thats my go-to weekend breakfast! I love it!