Gaining muscle

boston52712
boston52712 Posts: 1 Member
Hi everyone. I am a 47 yr old woman, 5’6”, 119.4 lbs with 17.5% body fat. I am looking to gain muscle but am unsure of, when using the app what my goal is as far as weight. For instance: lose weight, maintain, gain and how much per week? Also if I’m looking to gain, what is my end goal as far as lbs? Hopefully I explained this correctly.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited February 2021
    Perhaps you can explain your goal a little more - are you wanting to increase strength, are you looking to improve muscular definition, do you just want to gain more weight in general?

As you're at the lower end of the BMI range for your height, I'd rule out losing weight.

To gain muscle you need a surplus, so that would be gaining. There's also recomp - which is eating at Maintenance but focusing on a progressive strength training routine and high protein intake.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Hi everyone. I am a 47 yr old woman, 5’6”, 119.4 lbs with 17.5% body fat. I am looking to gain muscle but am unsure of, when using the app what my goal is as far as weight. For instance: lose weight, maintain, gain and how much per week? Also if I’m looking to gain, what is my end goal as far as lbs? Hopefully I explained this correctly.

What are you using to determine body fat %?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    I moved this to the bodybuilding/gaining weight section as you will get more specialized answered.

If you are looking to gain weight and focus on muscle gains than a smaller surplus will be ideal. Something like 250-400 calories over maintenance. And you could slowly add calories until you get there.

Second, you will want a resistance training program that is based on the principals of progressive overload and that aligns to your body goals. A lot of women go for StrongCurves since its butt focused.

What is your current skill level? If you haven't lifted before or dealing with quarantine than a bodyweight programs available or you could start with a dumbbell routine.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    There is no precise answer to what exact weight you should be. Just not too low nor too high. Your current weight sounds fine.

There isn't even a precise answer to what %BF you should be, same as above.

As for getting stronger: Consider personal or group training, via zoom if necessary. Your starting equipment can be very simple (bands and a few dumbells), and still be very effective!
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    You look lean in your pic. If you are looking to gain some muscle, I would look at Starting Strength, Strong Curves, Grey Skull or similar programs. Adjust your cals to a 2-300 daily surplus. Be sure you get 120 gms protein per day. Eat your veggies. Repeat for a few months.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,372 MFP Moderator
    There is no precise answer to what exact weight you should be. Just not too low nor too high. Your current weight sounds fine.

There isn't even a precise answer to what %BF you should be, same as above.

As for getting stronger: Consider personal or group training, via zoom if necessary. Your starting equipment can be very simple (bands and a few dumbells), and still be very effective!

Just to point out, the OP is borderline underweight. I think part of the reason to gain some weight is to get in a better position.