Quit Smoking 2 Weeks Ago, Hello Weight Gain..

soontobeskinnysara
soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello! After a 6+ month hiatus on here, I have returned.

My last cigarette was Monday, August 12, 2013, at 5:21pm. I was a smoker for 15 years, and I'm proud to say that I'm now a quitter. With that being said, I CAN'T STOP EATING. I am always hungry, and always snacking. This website has helped me lose weight in the past, so I decided to come back to keep the new weight off.

I'd love to hear from (and befriend) other quitters. Tell me your story and let's be friends!

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Youre not really hungry, your looking for something to replace the habit of putting something to your mouth! You need to occupy yourself in another way, getting out of the house is good because then you can't make something to eat :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Smokers tend to weigh less, but if memory serves me right, they also have a lower lean body mass than non-smokers.

Your appetite improves when you quit smoking, and the way your body utilizes the food presumably does, too. So you might have to increase your activity level or decrease the amount you eat in order to maintain your weight.

Increasing your activity level should be easy, as most quitters find that climbing five flights of stairs is a lot easier when you don't have a cigarette pack's worth of soot clogging your lungs.

Good luck, and good job quitting!
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Hello! After a 6+ month hiatus on here, I have returned.

My last cigarette was Monday, August 12, 2013, at 5:21pm. I was a smoker for 15 years, and I'm proud to say that I'm now a quitter. With that being said, I CAN'T STOP EATING. I am always hungry, and always snacking. This website has helped me lose weight in the past, so I decided to come back to keep the new weight off.

I'd love to hear from (and befriend) other quitters. Tell me your story and let's be friends!

I have the same problem when I quit smoking. I exchanged the cigarette for walks. Whenever I have the urge to smoke, I walk instead. Walk for the amount of time you would usually spend smoking, Its amazing how much miles you put on. Walk in place, walk in the park walk at home or run... :-)
  • Hi ,
    I have been a heavy smoker for over 20 years but I decided to kick the habit and have now been smoke free for 4 weeks and 2 days.
    At the same time I decided to get fit and lose weight, I knew this was not going to be easy so I opted to try the E.....cigarettes and so far so good. With the E- cigarette I still feel like I am doing something with my mouth and hands which was my main problem when quitting. My chest feels amazing and for the first time in ....I don't even want to think how many years..... I can actually catch my breath and walk without feeling my chest is being crushed.
    I have also lost 15lbs so it can be done.
    Seriously if I can do it then anybody can. I was the one person that everybody laughed at when I said I was quitting smoking but they are not laughing now. Now everyone is asking how am I able to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time.

Well sheer determination mostly but the E-cigs are definitely helping with the not reaching for the snacks.

It is not easy but it can be done.

I wish you lots and lots of good luck!!!!!
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Nicotine suppresses appetite so now you're hungry. :) I had the same problem. It does get better I swear it does. I quit a year ago and I feel so freaking good these days it's crazy. Find some low cal high density foods like baby carrots or celery or something to munch when your stomach starts growling and drink plenty of water. Get a good quality multi vitamin to replace what the cigs leeched out and start walking or something if you don't have a workout routine. The exercise will help to suppress the hungry feeling. My big triggers were alcohol and parties- so avoid the stuff that makes you want one for a little while. :) you can do it!!!
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Congratulations on quitting! I smoked for 20 years, and have been smoke free now for over 18 years. I gained 30 pounds practically overnight, which was odd for me because I'd always been thin. Don't let anyone tell you that weight gain is not inevitable when you quit. It's much more than just an oral fixation, which is definitely part of it. Smoking revs up your metabolism, and actually burns calories, so that changes when you quit. Also, food starts to taste AMAZING! I still remember waking up in the middle of the night and actually tasting toothpaste from when I went to bed.

I ate tons of popcorn at first, and had a constantly handy bottle of water. When I felt the urge to smoke, I'd grab that bottle and chug on it. Something I remember being told: A nicotine craving will go away within a minute or two, whether you smoke or not. So, hang in there, drink lots of water, and it will pass.

You got this!
  • RSS963
    RSS963 Posts: 7
    Congratulations on quitting! You've made an excellent choice. I'm working on a year and a half of no cigarettes and I can tell you I don't miss smoking at all. My weight actually went down after quitting.
    I quit cold turkey and those three days were HELL and then I had a week of eating bucket loads of Peanut Butter Cups. Like the bags you buy for Halloween. The good news is it gets better. Vitamin C in OJ clears the system of Nicotine faster and can help boost the immune system when your body is repairing everything. Protein is your friend. Nicotine is addictive because it's causes release of dopamine. When you quit, you feel hungry all the time and crabby because the brain misses that rush of dopamine.
    Proteins are your friend. Quitting "Cold Turkey" is ironic because turkey increases dopamine in the brain. Here's a link to foods that increase dopamine and will help with withdrawal. http://www.ehow.com/about_5375439_foods-increase-dopamine-brain.html
    Chewing on Cinnamon Sticks helps the oral fix. Chewing gum and hard candies all help. Warm drinks like coffee and tea helped me, because they are comforting and can make you feel like you've eaten something. Remember it's okay to baby yourself for a little while. Nicotine is a hard thing to quit.

Overall your weight should get better after quitting because cigarettes are damaging to the thyroid and can slow it down. Also, you will notice how much better food TASTES so you enjoy what you're eating. Running or cardio can help with the anxiety and also play a role in appetite suppression. You'll notice you won't feel winded after small jogs or walking up stairs and end up being more active.

Hope some of that helps! Hang in there! It gets better, promise!!
  • Hi!
    I quit smoking two months ago... I have invested in a ton of sugar free gum...
    The mint gum is a nice alternative to a menthol cigarette, and the gum does not contribute any calories....

I think right now you should focus on your quit and allow your body to replace the cigarette with healthy foods such as carrots, cauliflaur, grapes etc...

Once your quit is secure, then you can focus on dropping whatever extra pounds you picked up...

Once you're done smoking, your insulin will return to normal and it will actually help you lose weight... don't worry.

Good luck!
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Start vaping, they sell ones that don't have nicotine and it just helps you with the habit. Then you wont be putting food in your mouth!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Try favour-shot water.

It's helped a friend of mine. She uses MIO & Crystal Lite.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Well done on becoming a non-smoker! (I don't use the term 'quitting' because it implies you've given up something of value to you.)

I stopped smoking two months ago and I didn't have the weight gain problem! I just threw myself back into fitness and more things that interest me to keep me busy! I actually hit my lowest weight thanks to stopping! :D
  • It's all psychological. I'm an ex smoker too. Not exactly sure what to tell you other than to use MFP to regulate what you are eating. Once you hit your quota for the day, stop eating.
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Just to be clear, I do not miss smoking. I've just found since I've quit, my appetite has increased significantly and I've been appeasing it. I was just looking for similar stories with weight gain/loss after quitting, not tips on how to deal with nicotine cravings. Thanks!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    I kept plenty of sugar free toffees around and chewed a *lot* of gum! I wanted to stab everyone I talked to in the eye for about 2 or 3 weeks...but it passed :laugh: Congrats! That is a hard thing to quit! :flowerforyou:
  • PunkinSpice79
    PunkinSpice79 Posts: 309 Member
    I took up crochet to keep my hands busy. Congratulations! You can do this!
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    I quit a month and a half ago. I've started back twice. Once last week when I went skydiving for the first time, (I was scared sh*tless and bought a pack the day of the jump), and again today. My question is, how is God's name do you fight the insane cravings? I can't use nicorette because it affects my blood pressure. I've smoked for 34 years. I love not smoking, but my mind fights me on the cravings until I give it just to stop it all!
  • abble_pie
    abble_pie Posts: 144 Member
    I quit smoking about 2 months ago, and I have not noticed any weight gain. However, I have been counting calories with this website. The main reason I held off on quitting for so long was because I did not want to gain weight.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Hi ,
    I have been a heavy smoker for over 20 years but I decided to kick the habit and have now been smoke free for 4 weeks and 2 days.
    At the same time I decided to get fit and lose weight, I knew this was not going to be easy so I opted to try the E.....cigarettes and so far so good. With the E- cigarette I still feel like I am doing something with my mouth and hands which was my main problem when quitting. My chest feels amazing and for the first time in ....I don't even want to think how many years..... I can actually catch my breath and walk without feeling my chest is being crushed.
    I have also lost 15lbs so it can be done.
    Seriously if I can do it then anybody can. I was the one person that everybody laughed at when I said I was quitting smoking but they are not laughing now. Now everyone is asking how am I able to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time.

Well sheer determination mostly but the E-cigs are definitely helping with the not reaching for the snacks.

It is not easy but it can be done.

I wish you lots and lots of good luck!!!!!

I'm really glad e-cigs worked for you and they're a huge improvement over cigarettes, but they're not a good path for someone who has successfully quit. They continue the addiction on nicotine and can in fact be a gateway to returning to smoking.\

to the OP, many people here are suggesting some good ideas to try. also give yourself a little time for your body to adjust. I quite 24 years ago, one of the things I'm proudest of. I found hot tea helped....breathing in the steam gave me a little of that "deep inhale" experience, the slow sipping of a hot beverage kept me busy for awhile and the warmth is relaxing, which helps.I wish I had known about deep-breathing meditation at the time; again, the relaxing and the experience of taking a long pull into your lungs--but of air, not smoke--helps.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Quitting smoking is not for the weak of heart nor sissies!!!

BUT you can and should do it. You WILL feel better. And that weight gain thing isnt ALWAYS true.

I quit a year ago...the same time I started here and..............Im down 110 pounds and havent touched a cig since. I also dont allow smoking in my home or car or near me if I can help it.

I wish you great success at not smoking.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    When you quit, you need to not only count your calories but find something to do to keep your mind occupied. Keep it up, you're doing great!

(Smoker for 10 years, quit a year ago)
This discussion has been closed.