Quit Smoking 2 Weeks Ago, Hello Weight Gain..

2»

Replies

• I quit 2 months ago and ive gained 10 lbs :-( But ill tell you what, Id rather have the 10 lbs then still be smoking a pack a day! Oh well it happens but whats important is that we are making the decision to get back in shape!
    First and foremost you need to have a plan. Ive figured out my macro's and what my caloric intake should be, purchased a heart monitor/calories burned watch, and I just started on the Insanity videos on Wednesday. Im only looking to loose the 10 lbs I gained... and maybe 5 extra if im successful with my plan :-)
    I sent you a friend request so we can follow each other! Good luck with your weight loss!
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Quitting smoking is not for the weak of heart nor sissies!!!

BUT you can and should do it. You WILL feel better. And that weight gain thing isnt ALWAYS true.

I quit a year ago...the same time I started here and..............Im down 110 pounds and havent touched a cig since. I also dont allow smoking in my home or car or near me if I can help it.

I wish you great success at not smoking.

I should've mentioned Id been a true to heart smoker for 30 years. I loved it...every aspect of it except the stink. NOW I feel so much better, I can move better and breathe better and YOU CAN TOOOOOOOO!!!!!
  • [quote

[/quote] I'm really glad e-cigs worked for you and they're a huge improvement over cigarettes, but they're not a good path for someone who has successfully quit. They continue the addiction on nicotine and can in fact be a gateway to returning to smoking.\

to the OP, many people here are suggesting some good ideas to try. also give yourself a little time for your body to adjust. I quite 24 years ago, one of the things I'm proudest of. I found hot tea helped....breathing in the steam gave me a little of that "deep inhale" experience, the slow sipping of a hot beverage kept me busy for awhile and the warmth is relaxing, which helps.I wish I had known about deep-breathing meditation at the time; again, the relaxing and the experience of taking a long pull into your lungs--but of air, not smoke--helps.
    [/quote][quote

I use nicotine free e- liquid .....I use the e-cig purely for keeping my hands busy.
    I hate chewing gum so this is a good alternative for me personally.
  • Just to be clear, I do not miss smoking. I've just found since I've quit, my appetite has increased significantly and I've been appeasing it. I was just looking for similar stories with weight gain/loss after quitting, not tips on how to deal with nicotine cravings. Thanks!
    Do you exercise? If so I'd use some of that smoking time to workout more - it'll raise your LBM, give you more calories to expend and (at least temporarily) help to suppress those cravings. Then you can continue to enjoy food and remain healthy.
    Congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Hi ,
    I have been a heavy smoker for over 20 years but I decided to kick the habit and have now been smoke free for 4 weeks and 2 days.
    At the same time I decided to get fit and lose weight, I knew this was not going to be easy so I opted to try the E.....cigarettes and so far so good. With the E- cigarette I still feel like I am doing something with my mouth and hands which was my main problem when quitting. My chest feels amazing and for the first time in ....I don't even want to think how many years..... I can actually catch my breath and walk without feeling my chest is being crushed.
    I have also lost 15lbs so it can be done.
    Seriously if I can do it then anybody can. I was the one person that everybody laughed at when I said I was quitting smoking but they are not laughing now. Now everyone is asking how am I able to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time.

Well sheer determination mostly but the E-cigs are definitely helping with the not reaching for the snacks.

It is not easy but it can be done.

I wish you lots and lots of good luck!!!!!

amazing!!!! love it.. congrats!!! pretty girl you are too! =)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    I was a smoker for 25 years, quit 5 years ago and gained about 50lbs on top of the fact that I was already overweight. As you commented, i had an increase in appetite and everything suddenly started tasting SO good. However, I've never regretted quitting. Smoking is far more dangerous than some temporary weight gain so you are already ahead of the game. I have lost all my "after quitting smoking weight" and now am working on the last bit. As others have mentioned, exercise could be key. Between quitting smoking and losing weight, you're going to be surprised by how much healthier you're going to feel and if you're like me, you're going to have a ton of increased energy. It's so win-win!
  • eslonlineteacherguy
    eslonlineteacherguy Posts: 67 Member
    4 packs for 30 years! Quit in June, 2 days later began working out, lost over 20 lbs. Best shape of my life now.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    I quit 13 days ago and have definitely noticed an increase in my appetite. Rather than try to suppress those urges I decided to just exercise more so I can eat what I want anyway, within reason obviously.
    I'm noticing a few subtle differences in how I feel already but can't really put my finger on anything in particular.
    Good luck on your continued no smoking life.
  • Mainosaur
    Mainosaur Posts: 23 Member
    Hello!

I quit smoking for 5 months then started again :/
    I had a quit coach for a while who really helped, they suggested just holding something that's the same shape and size as a cigarette, doing more things with your hands, chew ice and of course chewing gum.

But from what I've learned is that you can't really quit unless you're 100% ready to completely cut it out.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Congratulations! You've already gotten a lot of good advice but I just wanted to add one thing. You know that time after a meal when you're still sitting at the table and a smoke would be the perfect thing? Instead of fidgeting and having more food, take a plastic drinking straw and cut it down to the size of a cigarette. Hold it like a cigarette, flick the "ashes," put it to your lips and "inhale." You'll feel silly but it definitely helps, and the craving only lasts for a few minutes. Best of luck to you!
  • joanneveee
    joanneveee Posts: 23 Member
    I too put on a little when I quit smoking for the first 6 months. At 6 months I had my last craving and went back to the weight I was over the next 6 months...on its own. I think it was because I was less tired and did more. I could taste my food more so needed less salt and sauces.
    It's been 24 years and at 53 I run 5k every year for the " run for the cure." I'm not a runner and its hard for me to do but I think its nothing to what people with the illness do. Right now quitting smoking is taking up a lot of your thinking time but it will go a way...for ever. I stopped cold turkey. ( I looked at how much it was costing me... a trip every year lol ) My sister tried everything over the years. Patch, pills, e smokes...She is now on her 4 month with cold turkey and the wait gain has stopped. I proud of her and you. IT is hard but worth the effort 100%.
This discussion has been closed.