CALORIES IN/CALORIES OUT

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,540 Member
    It sounds like maybe you're saying that your Garmin is double counting calories when you do Zumba - counting some calories for the actual Zumba but also giving you a higher calorie burn for the extra steps it counts during Zumba class?
    I would try going into your exercise diary and checking what adjustment is coming across from your Garmin (I have an Apple Watch, so mine appears as "MFP iOS calorie adjustment" - I assume you'd see something similar for your Garmin). Just click on the little information flag next to it and you'll see how it's calculated - here's an example of mine for my iOS adjustment:
    noyuqv3niqr0.png
    If you think this is giving you too much credit, delete the entry (there's a little red button on the right to do this). Then make sure your Zumba activity is showing the right amount of calories (if it looks a bit high still, you can click on it and edit the calorie burn to that 3-400 range that seems more accurate).
    I'm no expert on Garmins, but I suspect that it's not recognising that it's double-counting on your activity.
  • standy73
    standy73 Posts: 26 Member
    Thanks guys, yes i definitely wasnt eating the extra mow i know is 300-400 ishhh what do they mean
    “eat back”? They said eat all 1500! Whats eat back all bout??
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    standy73 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, yes i definitely wasnt eating the extra mow i know is 300-400 ishhh what do they mean
    “eat back”? They said eat all 1500! Whats eat back all bout??

You're making it harder than it needs to be. When you put your stats and activity level, MFP calculates about how much it takes for you to maintain (TDEE/Maintenance). Then when you put in your weekly goal of loss it figures out how many calories to take off your TDEE to lose your goal.

So, hypothetically: A person puts in all of their info and gets a TDEE of 2000 calories with the goal to lose 1lb per week (-500 calories) for a goal of 1500.

2000 TDEE - 500 cal deficit = 1500 daily calories to lose 1lb per week.

Now, lets say this person has a gym session that burns 300 calories. Now, that TDEE goes up by 300.

2000 + 300 = 2300 calories new TDEE.

Now, the goal is still to lose 1lb a week, so:

2300 - 500 = 1800 daily calories to lose 1lb per week. That's what it means by "eat back" your exercise calories.
  • standy73
    Okay so ATM i am doing x2 60min zumba classs... in my MFP goals it still has me as ‘LIGHTLY ACTIVE’ and 1450cals
    Shoukd i change it to MOT VERY ACTIVE?? 1240calories🤔🤔
  • standy73
    ThankU
    I have stopped sync’g now i know its BS really🤔
    I still record what im eating makes me accountable.
    Just seems these calorie counting cant be trusted! Only things certain is the scanning on products i know for certain if im correct👍🏼 But i visited docs also said 1500 was way too high originally had activity set to ‘very active’ =1500 cals i DIDNT drop ANY weight! (Wk1-4)
    Lowered activity to ‘lightly active’ =1490 still NO CHANGE to weight (wk4-6)
    TODAY I thought may ill change activity to ‘not very active’
    =1200cals...
    SEE WHAT HAPPENS NOW
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    ThankU
    Just seems these calorie counting cant be trusted! Only things certain is the scanning on products i know for certain if im correct👍🏼 But i visited docs also said 1500 was way too high originally had activity set to ‘very active’ =1500 cals i DIDNT drop ANY weight! (Wk1-4)
    =1200cals...
    SEE WHAT HAPPENS NOW

You haven't been doing any of this long enough to know if it's working. What did you base your "very active" activity level on originally?
  • standy73
    Some full weeks i was boxing a few days + 2 zumba class’s
    Friday last Here in Melb, Australia 🇦🇺 We had a snap 5 day lockdown i had zumba EVERY DAY... now im back to two days only zumba.. kids after school, working, kids sports taking it week by week what i can do🙏🏼
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    ThankU
    =1200cals...
    SEE WHAT HAPPENS NOW

No, scanning products is not certain. The database is still crowd sourced, i.e., regular MFP users create the food entries, even the bar coded ones. They may've entered them incorrectly, they may be for outdated formulations of the product, maybe even for another country's version of the product, etc. Compare to what the product label says the first time you use a bar code, make sure the entry is correct.

Frankly, the learning curve for logging accurately is one of the biggest issues for most people who don't lose weight as expected on X number of calories (at a calorie level that should work). This is not a personal criticism, it's just a recognition that all of us go through a learning process with logging (food *and* exercise).

Your food diary is private. If you make it public to other MFP users, some of the old hands may be able to take a look and help you refine your logging practice.

In the short run, make sure you're logging every BLT (Bite, Lick, Taste), not forgetting oils used in cooking, dressings, beverages, condiments etc. If you include a "cheat day", log that, too, even if you have to estimate. Measure or weigh your portions, especially for calorie-dense things. (Weighing on a food scale is preferred, not just because it's more accurate but because it's also quicker and easier once you learn the tricks. A food scale only costs about the price of a takeout pizza, so it's not prohibitive for most people.)
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Some full weeks i was boxing a few days + 2 zumba class’s
    Friday last Here in Melb, Australia 🇦🇺 We had a snap 5 day lockdown i had zumba EVERY DAY... now im back to two days only zumba.. kids after school, working, kids sports taking it week by week what i can do🙏🏼

Okay but that's still purposeful exercise. Your MFP activity level is supposed to reflect how active you are OUTSIDE OF purposeful exercise. If you DON'T count any of that, what's your activity level like? During the times when you AREN'T boxing or Zumba-ing, what are you doing? Are you sitting down? Standing in one place, maybe moving your arms a bit? Walking or running around? Doing a lot of bending, reaching, lifting, digging, carrying things from place to place?
  • standy73
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ThankU
    =1200cals...
    SEE WHAT HAPPENS NOW

No, scanning products is not certain. The database is still crowd sourced, i.e., regular MFP users create the food entries, even the bar coded ones. They may've entered them incorrectly, they may be for outdated formulations of the product, maybe even for another country's version of the product, etc. Compare to what the product label says the first time you use a bar code, make sure the entry is correct.

Frankly, the learning curve for logging accurately is one of the biggest issues for most people who don't lose weight as expected on X number of calories (at a calorie level that should work). This is not a personal criticism, it's just a recognition that all of us go through a learning process with logging (food *and* exercise).

Your food diary is private. If you make it public to other MFP users, some of the old hands may be able to take a look and help you refine your logging practice.

In the short run, make sure you're logging every BLT (Bite, Lick, Taste), not forgetting oils used in cooking, dressings, beverages, condiments etc. If you include a "cheat day", log that, too, even if you have to estimate. Measure or weigh your portions, especially for calorie-dense things. (Weighing on a food scale is preferred, not just because it's more accurate but because it's also quicker and easier once you learn the tricks. A food scale only costs about the price of a takeout pizza, so it's not prohibitive for most people.)
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ThankU
    =1200cals...
    SEE WHAT HAPPENS NOW

• standy73
    Thanks guys... still troopering on :-D
    Scanning
    MFP is scanning product bar codes correctly as wats on the ingred list (Australian Food standard list req’)
    EG: lunch now ( 12pm Sat here 🇦🇺) large salad & 125g chix, balsamic glaze & crushed nuts all measured👍🏼 Plus im doing protein ‘LADY SHAKE’ shake replacing 1 meal.
    Oh & as im a ‘Jillian Michaels’ fan she posted alot of vlogs on CI CO been awesome ive done my (sedentary) BMR 1500
    As working 2/3days, home duties ect...Mod activity i thought AMR 1800 plus then additional exercise, zumba x2 400 each ill calculate that day.
    Jillian advised need 800/900 daily deficit too see faster results...
    (we need to burn 3500cals to see 0.5kg... )
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,382 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    balsamic glaze is calorically dense (at least I consider it so, heck even some balsamic vinegars are substantially more calories than other vinegars). How many GRAMS did you use?
    crushed nuts are ABSOLUTELY calorically dense. How many GRAMS?
    Large salad?
    What is a large salad?
    What does it have in it?

I am about to log right now:
    251g of potatoes skin and flesh, boiled with salt (I had their raw weight but someone snagged a few when they came out of the pot. In any case, raw and boiled potatoes are within a gram most of the time...)
    75g of carrots boiled, drained, cooked in salt and 110g carrots, raw (hey I had leftovers from yesterday)
    380g (riced) cauliflower, raw
    7g salted butter (2 of those grams are for olive oil spray, but I'm logging "loosely" these days)
    240g Chicken, broilers or fryers, leg, meat and skin, cooked, roasted (after having looked for the closest SR Legacy entry using USDA's FoodData Central -- that's for my two "whole chicken legs" that I pan roasted.
    I will also log 4g of lemon pepper seasoning (since I am logging "loosely") to account for the lemon pepper and lemon and herb spice and tarragon I used. I did not actually weight them. It's an eyeball.
    Plus 4g of fresh garlic (since I have the entry handy) to account for 2g of freeze dried garlic that I threw into the riced cauliflower when I tossed it with butter after it came out of the microwave. That's also an eyeball based on previous weigh ins of the freeze dried garlic.
    And 69.5g of Cliff almond fudge bar
    During this loose logging exercise I will NOT log the two cans of coke zero I drank.

So there you go.

Yeah, so my dinner was like this:

177g - Beef, short Loin, Top Loin, Seperable Lean Only , Trimmed To 0" Fat, Choice, raw
    85g - Pasta, white, cooked
    10g - Land O lakes spreadable butter (verified against label)
    114g - Mushrooms, white, raw
    1g - nonstick spray

With desert...

4 FL oz - 2% milk (verified against label)
    4 - oreo thins (I've weighed enough of these to know that a serving size is pretty spot on, really no variance)

I try pretty hard to be accurate with my at home stuff, since there are times when I'll be eating out for entire weekends and working my best guesses or using chain information.
  • standy73
    1o7tbpf8qhz2.png
    t5nrglwdavll.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,546 Member
    mmmm..... want your desert!

Note that ice cream (and other items with a lot of air or high fat content) tends to weigh less than 1g per 1ml. And in Canada at least the package list the volume (ml) measurement, making it very hard to weigh the contents. (the database does have entries for a few of these items by weight; but you have to carefully check)