So I’m a Jerk

Options
Ddsb11
Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
edited February 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
🤦🏼‍♀️ MFP told me so, those exact words. It was regarding a comment that I genuinely meant no harm or disrespect, like a scenario where you mispronounce something wrong your whole life and someone finally tells you the correct way. I wouldn’t consider that person a jerk for informing me. I even stated that I hope it helped. I felt pretty bad that MFP would make issue of it (no one else did) and then I felt, unsettled, like wow, I have contributed for 6 years, and in 400ish posts I have received roughly 2000 positive responses. I don’t really think I’m a jerk, do you? Makes you not want to contribute anymore, ya know? I love this community. I think the dialogue is fun, fascinating, and it’s even cool to debate from time to time. I hope I haven’t hurt any of you on a personal level, and if so I want to sincerely apologize. I’m gonna crawl in a hole now 😐.

Replies

• WeatherJane
    WeatherJane Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    So, if you give someone advice or insight to help them you can be reported because teaching someone makes you a "jerk"?

• SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Not sure which comment it was, but I guess tone is sometimes missed during textual advice or correction. As long as you know you meant well, without any malice or harshness, then it could have been a mistake.
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    No idea what you’re talking about, but I bet all those other people have already forgot. You’re probably the only person still thinking about it.

If there was a lesson to learn, learn it and move on. No big!

You’re absolutely right, lesson learned.
  • Ddsb11
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    I think I remember recently someone who responded to a post and corrected the poster's punctuation and grammar? If that was you, then yeah, that's frowned upon.

That’s correct, I was having trouble reading it, so thought it was relevant to help. There was another post awhile back where all caps were used, and someone had informed them it meant yelling and it was hard to read. Anyway, that’s where my head was at, and I tried to say it politely.

I understand. In my office, I'm labeled the "Grammar Nerd", and everyone sends me documents to proofread.

But, on a forum like this, correcting someone's grammar, spelling, or punctuation can be taken as pretentious, insensitive, and not relevant to their question.

For many people here, English may not be their native language. Or, they are just typing with their thumbs on their phone and not aware or caring about errors.

In any case, I wouldn't feel too badly about it. You violated the community rules and got a slap on the wrist. Accept it and move on.

Grammar nerds are good to know. I’m typically not one at all, just wanted to understand his/her post, and thought I’d help. That, and I should probably get my eyes checked, they’re getting bad and I never wanted to admit it. 🤓
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    I'm a self-professed grammar nazi (and formerly a professional writer and editor) but on social media.... I let it go.

Truly, all you do is make yourself look like, well... Sorry.

I know you meant well... but yeah.

Haha, I like this a lot. Maybe MFP could copy and paste this to their email instead. Point taken 🙏🏻😊
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    This is getting hilarious :D
  • Ddsb11
    Options
    igqi1bt6cx5a.gif

Is this considered a dirty jerk? Asking for a friend.
This discussion has been closed.