Why is everyone so afraid of sugar?

Options
I don't understand what's supposed to be so bad, I know in extreme it can cause diabetes etc but in normal amounts of food whats so bad? I've never limited my sugar and I'm fine...

Replies

• willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't think people are afraid of sugar but many people rely on MFP to help them lose weight & are trying to stick to the numbers MFP gives them. They can become alarmed when they think they are eating right but find themselves over on the allowed sugar (or sodium or protein or whatever).

Sugar does not cause Diabetes.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Probably because sugar is one of the reasons many of us became overweight. For some ppl they can't just eat one cookie. A little sugar leads to a lot.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    Who is this sugar that people talk so disparagingly about .:tongue:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I no longer track mine. If 3 pieces of fruit a day is going to put me over I'm not willing to listen!
  • dorrien12
    Options
    There's this particular candy I used to enjoy; Smarties, they only consist of sugar and I couldn't eat just 1 pack, I had many. So I try to avoid the "Extra" sugars and except the sugars that come in Apples, Grapes, & Watermelon etc. At this point in my life I don't have the discipline needed so I cut them out, one day I hope to have the discipline to just eat a few at a time.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't cause diabetes. When I had Gestational Diabetes, my Endocrinologist said normal people could eat a whole chocolate cake and not have their blood sugar exit the normal range.
  • apatheticsloth
    Options
    I don't think people are afraid of sugar but many people rely on MFP to help them lose weight & are trying to stick to the numbers MFP gives them. They can become alarmed when they think they are eating right but find themselves over on the allowed sugar (or sodium or protein or whatever).

Sugar does not cause Diabetes.

Absolutely, exactly THIS. I just started a few days ago and I'm eating as healthfully as possible. I'm nowhere near reaching my limits in anything other than sugar. I'm actually surprised at how hard it is to reach the number of calories I'm supposed to eat.

I love fruits and veggies but I'm shocked at how the number in the sugar column goes up when I eat them. :(
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't the enemy. Neither are fat or calories. The inability to use moderation and being averse to nutritious food (ie, "I don't eat vegetables") are the enemies.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, sugar (if you don't burn it off) is converted to fat faster than any other food. If you are active and eat a lot of sugar, your body will use that as fuel and not burn your fat.....and you will end up craving more sugar.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone has to be afraid of something, right?

Me? I'm afraid of killer clowns from outer space.

Sugar? Not so much.

tumblr_ln4oop7eYf1qaivaao1_500_zps94c6dee5.jpg
  • michellekicks
    Options
    As I understand it, sugar (if you don't burn it off) is converted to fat faster than any other food. If you are active and eat a lot of sugar, your body will use that as fuel and not burn your fat.....and you will end up craving more sugar.

Not in a caloric deficit. You will still burn fat. Your body cannot burn nothing.
  • DeterminedRealist
    DeterminedRealist Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Afraid of sugar? ... no not exactly, since I am reversing diabetes, sugar (or more specifically ANY carbohydrate more than 45g per meal) is not my friend. Fruit in moderation as a part of my whole food, veggie rich diet, hits the spot nicely.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Probably because sugar is one of the reasons many of us became overweight. For some ppl they can't just eat one cookie. A little sugar leads to a lot.

Well damn, I thought I got fat because I was eating a calorie surplus...
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the devil.

No, but really, I just don't eat it because I simply feel better without it. Everyone else I know eats it in droves.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Not in a caloric deficit. You will still burn fat. Your body cannot burn nothing.

I understand that. The body will use up the sugar FIRST, then, when that's gone, go for the fat (unless you eat more sugar, which a lot of people do). But if you limit the sugar, the body will burn MORE fat.
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I believe it is definately a misconception. It's not the sugar that made/makes us fat, it's the amount of which we take it in. If I ask someone for some kind of advice they say well if you cut this and that then you will lose. Umm nope, well maybe for a bit, but in my case before I started figuring this stuff out a little better I tried it all, and didn't get anywhere long term. I no longer cut anything from my diet, if it fits in my calories and my macros and I want it. I'll have it, and may have it the next day too. Maybe that's just me, but it's working and I'm still losing and a healthy rate.
  • michellekicks
    Options

I understand that. The body will use up the sugar FIRST, then, when that's gone, go for the fat (unless you eat more sugar, which a lot of people do). But if you limit the sugar, the body will burn MORE fat.

That is way too simplistic a way of looking at it. The body doesn't say, "Oh crap, no glucose... guess I'll have to burn fat until that's gone." If there is no sugar for energy, you will burn fat but you will also burn muscle. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to burn a pound of fat, but only about 600 calorie deficit to burn through a pound of muscle. Carbs are good for you unless you're diabetic. They provide you with energy. Extreme low carb diets i.e. ketogenic diets are good for very quick very short-term fat loss. They aren't sustainable.
  • salleymo
    salleymo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me, I'm not so afraid of the good sugars, I'm afraid of the refined ones mainly because I don't get the concept of moderation. I try it in moderation, but can't keep myself from wanting more and eventually overindulging.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    <---Am not afraid lol
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not to be feared. The amount is to be weary of. Not because its dangerous, but because it is not nutritious. It's an empty calorie. It should be used as spice in life. I love honey on my tea. Sometimes I'll drizzle some on my yogurt. I don't eat enough sugar calories that it takes away from my nutritious calories. I used to be a big candy hound.