Do you take supplements with your eating plan or do you get all your nutrition from the food you eat

Options
I focus a lot on getting my protein in and watching my carbs and sodium. How many people take vitamins and supplements to make sure they are getting all the nutrients they need to be both fit and healthy not just lose weight. If so what do you take and how often if your comfortable sharing.
Because I am a older woman I do take calcium and iron.
«134

Replies

  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I do a multivitamin every day and that's pretty much it. I have some protein bars laying around just in case my intake is lower than I'd like for the day, but I prefer to get what I can from food otherwise.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I take iron, as I was borderline deficient the beginning of last year. Would only recommend that one if you really need it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I take D and B12 on a daily basis.

    At the moment I am also adding a multi and collagen/biotin.
    The latter 2 are because I have had a very stressful 8 month, and that is not taking COVID into account, and I know I am probably a little lacking in nutrients.

    Calcium, I get from dairy as it is better absorbed.

    If you live in the north get your D checked, and, because You say you are an older woman, get your B12 checked. Quite often as we age absorption of B12 drops. This can really affect your energy levels and brain function.

    Cheers, h.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I take D and B12 on a daily basis.

    At the moment I am also adding a multi and collagen/biotin.
    The latter 2 are because I have had a very stressful 8 month, and that is not taking COVID into account, and I know I am probably a little lacking in nutrients.

    Calcium, I get from dairy as it is better absorbed.

    If you live in the north get your D checked, and, because You say you are an older woman, get your B12 checked. Quite often as we age absorption of B12 drops. This can really affect your energy levels and brain function.

    Cheers, h.

    Thank you I take the calcium because I dont drink milk or eat a lot of dairy - my calcium has d. Hadn't thought about B12 - I live in the usually sunny Texas but right now we are in the middle of an a arctic freeze that has been going on for the last 4 days and is expected to last until next Friday with sleet, ice and snow and temps in the 20's.
    Thought I got away from all of that when I left the east coast years ago.
    Have a great weekend.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I take iron, as I was borderline deficient the beginning of last year. Would only recommend that one if you really need it.

    Thanks I take iron to make up for the fact that I don't eat red meat and have been anemic on and off all my life.
    Have a great weekend. Hopefully its warm where you are.

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I only take a fish oil cap and vitamin C (it's water soluble so you can't really overdose on it) and that's about it. The rest I get from food.

    My advice though: I would look for supplements with a USP certification. Since supplements aren't FDA regulated, many supplements have contaminants not listed on the label. DSHEA doesn't require them to list everything NOR the percentage of actual mineral or vitamin on it. And guess what? They could also flat out lie to you. DSHEA only really oversees that it's not dangerous to consume and that's pretty much it. It's why supplements are a billion dollar business. So many ineffective ones out there, but CLAIM they are needed for whatever ailment of deficiency you have.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Thanks going to go check my labels right now - didn't know about USP certification was aware that they weren't regulated and sometimes if you bought they from foreign countries they could contain harmful stuff. Have a good weekend.Appreciate your wealth of knowledge.

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I do a multivitamin every day and that's pretty much it. I have some protein bars laying around just in case my intake is lower than I'd like for the day, but I prefer to get what I can from food otherwise.

    Thank you very much, I have protein bars too for days when I just don't get to my protein numbers. I also have protein shakes on mornings when I am too lazy to make breakfast I am ashame to say.
    Have a nice weekend.
  • duxlady
    duxlady Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started taking a multi vitamin about 4 months ago. I am trying to build up immunity as we live in an in law apt with little grandkids upstairs and every time they get a cold- I would get sick. So far, so good. I also take turmeric and magnesium.
  • MinTheKitCat
    MinTheKitCat Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I try to get my nutrients from food, but since I’m pescatarian I take fish oil and a multi women’s when I remember (maybe 3-4 times per week on average) with Covid and winter I’ve also been taking Biotin, B, & D.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    I take a Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D & Zinc supplement, I take it because it helps me with my sleep and keeps my winter blues at bay.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil daily, and a psyllium husk fiber supplement that my doc told me to use.
    I get lots of Vit D from walking outdoors every day and my last labs didn't show any deficiencies so I am not taking a multivitamin right now, but I would if I thought I needed to.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I take Fish Oil, Vit D, and a basic multi-vitamin. Added D with the covid quarantine. I plan to start using protein powder in the near future.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Fish oil all year.
    Vit D in the winter months.
    Whey protein once in a while for convenience.
    Sports drink for very long cycle rides, electrolytes for hot weather rides.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I take D and B12 on a daily basis.

    At the moment I am also adding a multi and collagen/biotin.
    The latter 2 are because I have had a very stressful 8 month, and that is not taking COVID into account, and I know I am probably a little lacking in nutrients.

    Calcium, I get from dairy as it is better absorbed.

    If you live in the north get your D checked, and, because You say you are an older woman, get your B12 checked. Quite often as we age absorption of B12 drops. This can really affect your energy levels and brain function.

    Cheers, h.

    Oh yeah, I take B12, too. Because Vegan. I just don't even think about that one anymore.
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

    Thanks I take iron to make up for the fact that I don't eat red meat and have been anemic on and off all my life.
    Have a great weekend. Hopefully its warm where you are.

    Oh, it's still far too warm. I'd like some rain and more autumn-y weather now, please.

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    duxlady wrote: »
    I started taking a multi vitamin about 4 months ago. I am trying to build up immunity as we live in an in law apt with little grandkids upstairs and every time they get a cold- I would get sick. So far, so good. I also take turmeric and magnesium.

    Is the Turmeric for your immunity ?Thanks and have a great weekend
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »
    I take Fish Oil, Vit D, and a basic multi-vitamin. Added D with the covid quarantine. I plan to start using protein powder in the near future.

    I notice a lot of people are taking fish oil what's it good for excuse my ignorance . I know when I was a little girl my mom gave us cod liver oil for strong bones and she said to keep us from getting sick. But I sure this is probably not the same thing.
    Thanks for answering the post. And have a great weekend just curious.

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Fish oil all year.
    Vit D in the winter months.
    Whey protein once in a while for convenience.
    Sports drink for very long cycle rides, electrolytes for hot weather rides.

    Thank you for always taking the time to reply to my questions
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I take fish oil daily, and a psyllium husk fiber supplement that my doc told me to use.
    I get lots of Vit D from walking outdoors every day and my last labs didn't show any deficiencies so I am not taking a multivitamin right now, but I would if I thought I needed to.

    Psyllium husk fiber is that to increase the fiber in your diet, lord knows I dont get enough fiber in my diet. Is it a pill or powder you make into a drink.
    Thanks for your reply and have a great weekend.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I take a Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D & Zinc supplement, I take it because it helps me with my sleep and keeps my winter blues at bay.

    Thank you so much for your reply have a great weekend.