Do you take supplements with your eating plan or do you get all your nutrition from the food you eat

Options
13

Replies

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Omega 3s, Astaxanthin (it's what makes krill oil red and is amazing for you -- there's been well over 300 studies on it), a full spectrum methyl B and K2, I have a terrible right knee, so in addition to the Omega 3 and Astaxanthin, I sometimes take turmeric and tart cherry for keeping inflammation down. Although I don't take every day, I take some mushroom supplements as well.

    Thanks Mike - I will have to tell my best friend about this she has rheumatoid arthritis. Have a great day.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I take B vitamins because my doctor advised me to (also been having issues with my ulnar nerve for ages, my only real option is surgery tbh, due to "moderate damage", but I'm putting it off unless really necessary) and I took iron for a while due to heavy and very long periods... atm I take a multivitamin every few days, but not daily

    Thank you so much for sharing - hope you don't have to have surgery. I take the iron for my anemia, it was so bad at one time I had to get infused iron, but now I only have totake the pills. Happy Valentines Day.

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I take a kid's multivitamin, vitamin d (my blood test showed I was in the normal range but I wasn't healing well enough so my oral surgeon suggested I try it), biotin, vitamin c, and k-2 because it doesn't take much to make me bleed (not sure that one's helping).

    Love your avatar - thanks for sharing and Have a Happy Valentines Day.

  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin, iron because I'm anemic, plus glucosamine-chondroitin and tart cherry extract for arthritis.

    Wow - I take iron for anemia which has gotten better over the years but from what my doctors says I will probably have to take forever. Thanks for sharing and have a Happy Valentines Day.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    57 yr old pescetarian here. I take a daily multi just as "insurance" and I've been taking the 50+ formula since my 40s as it has lutein, which my eye dr recommended as preventative for age related macular degeneration (family history).

    I also have extensive family history of osteoporosis so my GP has had me taking a calcium supplement for years. I have had some bone loss so she told me to increase my vit D as well (didn't ever check my actual levels, however).

    I do use whey-based shakes and bars to increase my protein intake.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    57 yr old pescetarian here. I take a daily multi just as "insurance" and I've been taking the 50+ formula since my 40s as it has lutein, which my eye dr recommended as preventative for age related macular degeneration (family history).

    I also have extensive family history of osteoporosis so my GP has had me taking a calcium supplement for years. I have had some bone loss so she told me to increase my vit D as well (didn't ever check my actual levels, however).

    I do use whey-based shakes and bars to increase my protein intake.

    Thank you I never seem to get all my protein in so I have 1 or 2 protein shakes a day. I am not big on breakfast so to get myself started I have a protein shake usually for breakfast with my iron it keeps the iron from messing with my stomach. thanks agin for sharing and have a Happy Valentines Day <3

  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I eat good old fortified off brand cereal most days. Its got 50% of my iron and b12. I'm veggie so this is helpful. I take vitamin C and D aswell.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I take calcium and vitamin D as I have severe deficiencies and calcium is apparently leeching out my bones and teeth, doctor advised I try not to fall over 🙄
    I take iron and folic acid due to deficiencies
    I have b12 injections on a regular schedule as I'm unable to absorb orally

    I take a double dose of multivitamin as per doctors instruction

    I take biotin due to hair loss and omega 3,6,9

    I'm 38 and been falling apart for years 🤦🏻‍♀️

    does the biotin work my hairdresser told me to take a combination of biotin & saw palmetto for hair loss I haven't tried yet. Never heard anybody other than her. I have been waiting until I see if the hair grease works first but its messy.
    Thank you

    I had been taking 1,000 mg of biotin but in December upped it to 5,000 and also, in consultation with my hematologist, upped my iron from one every other day to every day. One of those things or the combination has greatly slowed my "shedding."

    My hair loss had likely been caused by my severe anemia last summer or the stress thereof or both.

    Studies have shown that iron is better absorbed when taken every other day, but the form of iron used in the study was ferrous gluconate, and I take iron bisglycinate, which is better absorbed to start. I'd been doing every other day since my hematologist suggested it in the summer, and while it got my iron levels back up, it did not get my energy levels back up. At some point after going back to every day I noticed I was finally feeling myself again.

    You've mentioned anemia, so I'm sure it is safe for you to supplement, but in general I encourage anyone considering taking iron to:

    1. Do this after getting blood work and in consultation with your doctor.
    2. Carefully consider the form of iron. I have taken many different forms and this really makes a big difference. I have never had any issues with iron bisglycinate and ended up in Urgent Care with the worse pain in my life after my primary switched me to ferrous gluconate during the big anemia episode last summer.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I take calcium and vitamin D as I have severe deficiencies and calcium is apparently leeching out my bones and teeth, doctor advised I try not to fall over 🙄
    I take iron and folic acid due to deficiencies
    I have b12 injections on a regular schedule as I'm unable to absorb orally

    I take a double dose of multivitamin as per doctors instruction

    I take biotin due to hair loss and omega 3,6,9

    I'm 38 and been falling apart for years 🤦🏻‍♀️

    does the biotin work my hairdresser told me to take a combination of biotin & saw palmetto for hair loss I haven't tried yet. Never heard anybody other than her. I have been waiting until I see if the hair grease works first but its messy.
    Thank you

    I had been taking 1,000 mg of biotin but in December upped it to 5,000 and also, in consultation with my hematologist, upped my iron from one every other day to every day. One of those things or the combination has greatly slowed my "shedding."

    My hair loss had likely been caused by my severe anemia last summer or the stress thereof or both.

    Studies have shown that iron is better absorbed when taken every other day, but the form of iron used in the study was ferrous gluconate, and I take iron bisglycinate, which is better absorbed to start. I'd been doing every other day since my hematologist suggested it in the summer, and while it got my iron levels back up, it did not get my energy levels back up. At some point after going back to every day I noticed I was finally feeling myself again.

    You've mentioned anemia, so I'm sure it is safe for you to supplement, but in general I encourage anyone considering taking iron to:

    1. Do this after getting blood work and in consultation with your doctor.
    2. Carefully consider the form of iron. I have taken many different forms and this really makes a big difference. I have never had any issues with iron bisglycinate and ended up in Urgent Care with the worse pain in my life after my primary switched me to ferrous gluconate during the big anemia episode last summer.

    My iron was bad in the past and the hematologist a few years ago infused me for several months it went allthe way down to 9.8. Now to help with it's absorpson I always take it with orange juice per his instructions. It runs between 12.8 and as high as 13.2 which is pretty good when I have it checked. I take 25 mg microlingually daily. thanks for the share about the biotin not sure why my hear is shedding it maybe stress, kids at home, my business slowing down because of covid, worried about covid spread.
    Have a great day and Happy Valentines Day, and thanks again for sharing. <3
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I eat good old fortified off brand cereal most days. Its got 50% of my iron and b12. I'm veggie so this is helpful. I take vitamin C and D aswell.

    Thanks for sharing - can't say I am a big ceral eater so I always seem to need more fiber. Have a Happy Valentines Day. <3

  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I have stopped taking D (although I do off and on in the winter) because I've been eating a ton of Alaskan salmon (which gives me sufficient D), and when I don't take it daily I forget. In general, I think D is a good supplement for those of us in colder climates in the winter. I sometimes take fish oil but haven't been for the same reasons. When I log I do at Crom and the only things I have trouble hitting on occasion are D, calcium (which I also sometimes take), E, and iron (but I am not very low on any, but occasionally D), and I know I'm not in reality low on iron based on medical tests and my mom died as a result of iron build-up damaging her liver, so I would never supplement iron without a doctor telling me I needed to.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I have stopped taking D (although I do off and on in the winter) because I've been eating a ton of Alaskan salmon (which gives me sufficient D), and when I don't take it daily I forget. In general, I think D is a good supplement for those of us in colder climates in the winter. I sometimes take fish oil but haven't been for the same reasons. When I log I do at Crom and the only things I have trouble hitting on occasion are D, calcium (which I also sometimes take), E, and iron (but I am not very low on any, but occasionally D), and I know I'm not in reality low on iron based on medical tests and my mom died as a result of iron build-up damaging her liver, so I would never supplement iron without a doctor telling me I needed to.

    Thanks for your reply, love your avatar I have two cats too and they are often in that exact position but never hold still long enough for me to get a photo. Happy Valentines Day. Enjoy your day.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My younger cat loves to find my older one and use him as a pillow.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I eat good old fortified off brand cereal most days. Its got 50% of my iron and b12. I'm veggie so this is helpful. I take vitamin C and D aswell.

    Based on my long experience with many different forms of iron, I wouldn't trust the iron that cereal manufacturers add to have good bio-availability. I'm sure it is the cheapest form possible that will accomplish their desired target. My 12 years in the supplement industry also informs my opinion.

    Also, I tried my brother's fortified Grape Nuts and my OH's fortified Wheaties and felt dizzy after each, which was a bummer, as I used to love Grape Nuts and it would be convenient to have less boxes of cereal around.
  • AZSCUBAMOM1
    AZSCUBAMOM1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I take D and B12 on a daily basis.

    At the moment I am also adding a multi and collagen/biotin.
    The latter 2 are because I have had a very stressful 8 month, and that is not taking COVID into account, and I know I am probably a little lacking in nutrients.

    Calcium, I get from dairy as it is better absorbed.

    If you live in the north get your D checked, and, because You say you are an older woman, get your B12 checked. Quite often as we age absorption of B12 drops. This can really affect your energy levels and brain function.

    Cheers, h.

    Thank you I take the calcium because I dont drink milk or eat a lot of dairy - my calcium has d. Hadn't thought about B12 - I live in the usually sunny Texas but right now we are in the middle of an a arctic freeze that has been going on for the last 4 days and is expected to last until next Friday with sleet, ice and snow and temps in the 20's.
    Thought I got away from all of that when I left the east coast years ago.
    Have a great weekend.

    I second checking the B12 and D. I live in sunny Phoenix, AZ and my job has me outside a decent amount, but a couple years ago, my doctor discovered my B12 and D levels were extremely low. I couldn't believe it. Supplements have been necessary to keep my levels up. Hard to believe with our 300 days of sun a year!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I focus a lot on getting my protein in and watching my carbs and sodium. How many people take vitamins and supplements to make sure they are getting all the nutrients they need to be both fit and healthy not just lose weight. If so what do you take and how often if your comfortable sharing.
    Because I am a older woman I do take calcium and iron.

    Hi @mpkpbk2015 👋

    I try to get as many nutrients from food as possible. I drink my greens as a shot in the morning, sometimes toss some turmeric in there.. I supplement as insurance, and for general enhancement.

    Morning: cod liver oil with D
    Multivitamin, collagen peptides, methyl folate

    Afternoon: astaxathin, ubiquinol

    Eve: liquid silica, biotin,
    Vitamin c
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    As soon as it warms up I will get some. I have been told over and over by my dr and dietician I need more fiber so if it tastes like orange and I can drinks problem solved. Thank you so much. :p:p

    I also take psyllium husk, although it's not officially a supplement for me, I suppose. Instead of the stuff you can get at the pharmacy I just take psyllium husk meant for gluten-free baking. Much cheaper! And I haven't noticed a difference compared to the pharmacy stuff. Except that it obviously doesn't taste like orange. :)
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    MarttaHP wrote: »
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    As soon as it warms up I will get some. I have been told over and over by my dr and dietician I need more fiber so if it tastes like orange and I can drinks problem solved. Thank you so much. :p:p

    I also take psyllium husk, although it's not officially a supplement for me, I suppose. Instead of the stuff you can get at the pharmacy I just take psyllium husk meant for gluten-free baking. Much cheaper! And I haven't noticed a difference compared to the pharmacy stuff. Except that it obviously doesn't taste like orange. :)
    🤣✔

  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I take a men's once a day just to cover my bases. I also take D3 and K2. Fish oil for Omega 3s...though I also eat a fair amount of tuna and salmon.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I take D and B12 on a daily basis.

    At the moment I am also adding a multi and collagen/biotin.
    The latter 2 are because I have had a very stressful 8 month, and that is not taking COVID into account, and I know I am probably a little lacking in nutrients.

    Calcium, I get from dairy as it is better absorbed.

    If you live in the north get your D checked, and, because You say you are an older woman, get your B12 checked. Quite often as we age absorption of B12 drops. This can really affect your energy levels and brain function.

    Cheers, h.

    Thank you I take the calcium because I dont drink milk or eat a lot of dairy - my calcium has d. Hadn't thought about B12 - I live in the usually sunny Texas but right now we are in the middle of an a arctic freeze that has been going on for the last 4 days and is expected to last until next Friday with sleet, ice and snow and temps in the 20's.
    Thought I got away from all of that when I left the east coast years ago.
    Have a great weekend.

    I second checking the B12 and D. I live in sunny Phoenix, AZ and my job has me outside a decent amount, but a couple years ago, my doctor discovered my B12 and D levels were extremely low. I couldn't believe it. Supplements have been necessary to keep my levels up. Hard to believe with our 300 days of sun a year!

    Apparently something like 20% of people lack the ability to make vit D from sunlight, and you'd never know whether you did or not until you ended up deficient.